• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescind contract

Hoku

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations LAS
Marbrisa Carlsbad
Aloha..I need advice what to write in letter to rescind contract. I already own 2 HGVC and will need to sell one so that would be another discussion. But for now I have 2 days left to cancel contract for Wyndham timeshare we were thinking of buying in Florida. Their program seems so much better than HGVC as they own RCI so no fees to stay at RCI Hotels. They offered 249,000 points every year for $23000. On too of 249,000 bonus points. They said it was offered to other Timeshare holders from other companies to help offset their cost of maintenance fees by using their Perks program card. I want out though. So please any advice would be helpful!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This article contains a sample letter: http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

Key points:

-The mailing date (not the date they receive it) must be within the cancellation deadline.
-Mail it certified mail so you have documentation that you mailed it on time
-Include a simple letter and a copy of the main page(s) of the contract.
-Mail back any gifts, binders, or other materials separately, using a cheaper form of mailing (make a note of this in the letter.)
-Do not call them or accept their calls - they will only try to talk you out of it.
-If you authorized charges on your credit card or bank account, contact them ASAP to stop the charges.
-It may take 30-45 days to get your refund.

Hoku

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa Carlsbad
They opened. PayPal account for me and put it on there. I didn't have a PayPal and don't know how to cancel it with PayPal as they didnt give me anything regarding that..they said i was approved for $20000. I don't have to pay for 6mos. Hope I cud cancel thst too

Hoku

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa Carlsbad
Do I send letter to the office I bought my timeshare or corporate office?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You need to find the instructions in your purchase Docs and follow them exactly.

Call Paypal - explain that you are exercising your legal right to rescind the purchase, and ask them how to close the account: 888-215-5506

If the Paypal account is linked to your bank account or credit card, you want to remove them from the PayPal Account.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
They opened. PayPal account for me and put it on there. I didn't have a PayPal and don't know how to cancel it with PayPal as they didnt give me anything regarding that..they said i was approved for $20000. I don't have to pay for 6mos. Hope I cud cancel thst too

Sounds very sketchy to me!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
It is critical that everyone who signed the purchase contract also sign the rescission letter.

Hoku

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa Carlsbad
You need to find the instructions in your purchase Docs and follow them exactly.

Call Paypal - explain that you are exercising your legal right to rescind the purchase, and ask them how to close the account: 888-215-5506

If the Paypal account is linked to your bank account or credit card, you want to remove them from the PayPal

If the Paypal account is linked to your bank account or credit card, you want to remove them from the PayPal Account.

It is critical that everyone who signed the purchase contract also sign the rescission letter.

Thank u

Hoku

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa Carlsbad
Thank you everyone! I found a number to financial Dept and they told me to email cancellation notice with contract nbr so I just did.. and also i will fax same letter with both names and signatures since we can't sign an email. Mahalo!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To be on the safe side, you need to MAIL a signed letter using certified mail, to the address in your documents in the recission instructions.

You have no idea if the person on the phone was telling you the truth - don't take a chance.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Do not rely on the verbal statements of some employee.
They do not have to honor a rescission that is not done eggsactly as stated in the contract.
There may be better, more efficient ways, but only the method(s) in the contract are effective.

Hoku

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa Carlsbad
Ok I will read it ..ty

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will read it.

Good idea. When you do finally read the rescission instructions provided to you in writing at the time of contract execution, you will learn that email is almost certainly inadequate and that your cancellation must be submitted in writing, within deadline and under signature(s) of all who originally signed the contract. The "fax" route for cancellation may or may not be acceptable or adequate either.

It's your $23K (not mine) at stake, but if in your shoes I'd have my signed rescission correspondence prepared and sent by USPS certified mail yesterday.
If it's too late to complete yesterday, right now or first thing tomorrow morning will just have to suffice.

You do realize (...I hope) that neither fax nor email is reliable for proof of receipt or date accuracy anyhow (dates can be "spoofed). Moreover, recipient can simply claim "nope, never received any email or fax, don't know what you're talking about and we don't believe that you actually sent anything to us at all".
The hand stamped, dated USPS certified mail receipt bearing the postmark date (the only date that ultimately matters) slams the door shut in advance on that particular song and dance and provides documentary proof of your having met the applicable state law rescission deadline.

If you snooze, you will lose. Tick tock...

Last edited:

Hoku

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa Carlsbad
Thank you. I am doing it tomorrow. .sending it certified with both names and signatures. .