• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

resales at Lawai Beach Resort

dcire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone recently purchased any resale weeks at the Lawai Beach Resort in Kauai? I would be interested in any info. Thanks :D

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What kind of info

are you looking for? :confused:
Owning there we could write a book about the resort, so please ask you questions. :D Greg

dcire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I am looking to purchase at the Lawai but I am reluctant to dole out the cash when I have not seen the place first hand even though there is some good deals to be had.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so here is a little

overview of the resort.

The original building was completed in 1982 , it is the Coral Building. These units have been updated over the years and are pretty nice, however they don't have washer/dryers in suite, like all the other associations . They do offer a no charge laundry room on the 1st floor. Many of these suites have very little if any ocean view because the Beach House is directly across the street. Those on the 3rd and 4th floor have better views , over the top and to the side of the BH. The Coral also has the attached parking garage, and on the north end units, they get a lot of road noise and noise from the Prince Kuhio and some from Kuhio Shores.
These tend to sell pretty affordable, 1 bed annuals in the 3.5-4.5K range, 2 bed 1 bath, 4.5-6K range and 2 bed 2 bath 5.5-7.5 range. The annual fees are affordable for a nice resort, 1 beds $611., 2 beds $750 +-.

The Alli building was the next ( the farthest south and in our opinion the best building) These suites are nice, with the best full on ocean view ( see attachments) . The Alii pool is the quite pool, during the prime months of Feb ,March, most of these suites are being used by owners of multiple weeks. One couple comes for 10 weeks each year starting the 3rd week of January.
We own 3 1 bedroom weeks, and will be there again on March 3rd to the 24th 2007 in suite 1408( see attached photos.

I am making my reservations for 2008 next week( two years in advance) and I should get one of my top 4 choices of suites.

A 1 bedroom annual in the Alii runs about 6.5-8k and a 2 bedroom 9.5-11K with comparable annual fees to the Coral.

The Banyan is the newest building, finished in 1994. Nice units, nicest pool area, large spa, convenience store, etc. It also houses the admin staff, check in, etc. A 1 bedroom here run in the 7-9k range , 2 bedroom 11-13K .

There is also a 4 plex called the Liki Lani, just 4 two bedroom units, these I have seen sell for 7-10K .

Each suite can only be used to make reservations in it's own association, so if you purchase a 1 bedroom Coral, you can only get a 1 bedroom Coral, etc.

The owners return and use the prime time 95% of the time,and if not they rent. These weeks are booked up two years in advance. Very few prime weeks ever get to any trade company.

HTSE ( Hawaii Timeshare Exchange Company ) is located in the Banyan Building lobby. They do a very good job of getting you back to Lawai the following year if you use them for your deposits. If you need more info on HTSE, let me know.

Here is the resorts website, here
be sure to read the past issues of the newsletters,use there live webcams to look around the resort, and read the TUG reviews.

Feel free to ask any further questions, jmho, :D Greg

dcire said:
Yes I am looking to purchase at the Lawai but I am reluctant to dole out the cash when I have not seen the place first hand even though there is some good deals to be had.

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg, thanks very much for the information!

Do you know anything about the smoking policy at this resort? I have asthma and try to avoid smokey resorts as much as I can.

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at LBR about 3 weeks ago. I believe ALL of the building are now "non-smoking". That includes the lanais.

There are specific "set-up" areas on the grounds where smoking is permitted.

Tony

huestous

Reaction score
Tony is correct, all of the buildings at the LBR are non-smoking. This change went into effect ~3 years ago.

And as an addendum to Greg's comments, using HTSE for exchanging will get you two weeks at the LBR for your one week deposit - your deposit plus a bonus. This is a great way to leverage the Coral in particular.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tony is correct

The resort went non-smoking in 2004, in all units including the Lanai areas, walkways, pool areas, etc.

There is a smoking area outside each of the buildings.

As with all policies, there have been a few lapses, but on the whole it has been very well accepted.

I am very pleased about it, Joyce isn't , but maybe someday she will quit and enjoy the great fresh air of Lawai.. :D Greg

JudyS said:
Greg, thanks very much for the information!

Do you know anything about the smoking policy at this resort? I have asthma and try to avoid smokey resorts as much as I can.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
No quite true

If you prepay your 2007 dues and deposit your 2007 week with HTSE prior to September 31st, 2006 you will receive a week plus a limited use bonus week.

The bonus weeks cost $189 and can be used for up to 1 year from date of issue for anything in their inventory that is within 89 days of check in, they can't be used to start an ongoing search, just what they have in inventory.

They award this bonus week for any Hawaiian week deposited under the same guidlines.

They accept any red week from any US/Mexico/Canada resort.

They offer upgrades as to size . For example say you gave them a studio in Honolulu and wanted a 2 bedroom at Lawaii, well that would be 2 upgrades at $175 each or $350 plus the $69 exchange fee.

They really deal in like for like, but they do offer this additional service.

Now you should be officailly on info overload. :eek: Greg

huestous said:
And as an addendum to Greg's comments, using HTSE for exchanging will get you two weeks at the LBR for your one week deposit - your deposit plus a bonus. This is a great way to leverage the Coral in particular.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchase resale fire sale

We were lucky. We purchased at the Coral Building, sight unseen. At the time, certain TUG Members labeled it the dreaded Coral Building. We could not be happier. We are headed there next year.
By the way, based on the excellent responses above, your TUG membership has been paid for many times over.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We spent a week at Lawaii Beach Resort last summer, and would love to own a unit in the Ali'i building, but would not stay in the Banyon Bldg. again because of the noise levels at night. Between the driveway, pool, resort parking lot, and public beach parking lot, it was LOUD. Because of the attached parking garage, and proximity of some units to the driveway and parking lot, I would be concerned about buying in the Coral Bldg. as well (not to mention the view issue.)

On the other hand, the Ali'i building and pool were peaceful and quiet, with great views.

You should be aware that there is no air conditioning. That doesn't bother us, but I know AC is a must for some people.

Last edited:

lovemyjeep

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello-

There are also 2 units on the property located in the Banyon Building called the Banyon Executive Suites. Many people are not aware of them.

When you checkin at the front desk, the stairs that are there lead up to them-they may also be accessed through an elevator.

They are beautiful! Formerly they were the sales executive offices. Top of the line everything. These are the only units at the resort that have air conditioning and are very quiet because of their location and have beautiful views.

We purchased one of these almost 5 years ago and love the unit.