• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale Points ?

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
I've searched but can't find a thread that answers this one.
So after the sales presentation at Waikoloa, I've been thinking I should look at some resale points. I have found some I'd like to put an offer on. Have any of you paid the $3/pt Marriott transfer fee directly to Marriott using a credit card? If so, does it count as a Marriott purchase on the bonvoy card for the 5X or 6X points? I'm looking to pay cash for the purchase price and closing but use CC to pay the transfer fee.

Also, any other resale point purchase advice welcome.

Thanks

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep the price at $2 or less.
Make sure you buy as few as possible but at least 1000 (since that is the minimum for junk fees). Only time you should buy more is if it gets you to status (e.g. you are 1500 from next level)

Find out what first year of usage is? Also make sure you are clear on if you are going to have to pay back 2021 Maint fee.
And also, be sure that they are Jan-Dec points to make life easier.

I bought resale points and can confirm that they work just like developer points. Got me to next level with my enrolled point.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Keep the price at $2 or less.
Make sure you buy as few as possible but at least 1000 (since that is the minimum for junk fees). Only time you should buy more is if it gets you to status (e.g. you are 1500 from next level)

Find out what first year of usage is? Also make sure you are clear on if you are going to have to pay back 2021 Maint fee.
And also, be sure that they are Jan-Dec points to make life easier.

I bought resale points and can confirm that they work just like developer points. Got me to next level with my enrolled point.

Just curious why you recommend buying as few points as possible? There’s not much you can do with 1000 points. I bought 7000 points resale. I am glad I did a larger amount.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I've searched but can't find a thread that answers this one.
So after the sales presentation at Waikoloa, I've been thinking I should look at some resale points. I have found some I'd like to put an offer on. Have any of you paid the $3/pt Marriott transfer fee directly to Marriott using a credit card? If so, does it count as a Marriott purchase on the bonvoy card for the 5X or 6X points? I'm looking to pay cash for the purchase price and closing but use CC to pay the transfer fee.

Also, any other resale point purchase advice welcome.

Thanks

I paid for the transfer fee with my Marriott credit card and got the Bonvoy points. I do not have much advice regarding purchasing points resale. It is basically just a matter of finding the bundle of points you want and paying the transfer fee. Not a lot of decisions to make compared to buying a resale week. I prefer points over weeks because I like the flexibility of points. I enrolled two weeks and only use them as points now. I guess the only other thing to consider is whether it is easier and about the same price to buy a hybrid package directly from Marriott. I ended up doing that to enroll my weeks and it worked out to be a great deal at a little over $5 a point (including cost of weeks). I paid $3 a point and $2 transfer fees when I purchased my resale points.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you recommend buying as few points as possible? There’s not much you can do with 1000 points. I bought 7000 points resale. I am glad I did a larger amount.
It is very easy to rent point and have them transferred into your account. That way you are not paying maintenance fees every year on points if you do not use them. So buy the minimum you are guaranteed to need and unless the extra points get you to a benefit level it is unnecessary.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I'm going to guess because you can rent what you want for often the same price as maintenance fees without the commitment.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I paid for the transfer fee with my Marriott credit card and got the Bonvoy points. I do not have much advice regarding purchasing points resale. It is basically just a matter of finding the bundle of points you want and paying the transfer fee. Not a lot of decisions to make compared to buying a resale week. I prefer points over weeks because I like the flexibility of points. I enrolled two weeks and only use them as points now. I guess the only other thing to consider is whether it is easier and about the same price to buy a hybrid package directly from Marriott. I ended up doing that to enroll my weeks and it worked out to be a great deal at a little over $5 a point (including cost of weeks). I paid $3 a point and $2 transfer fees when I purchased my resale points.
I got the Marriott Bonvoy points with the transfer fee as well. :thumbup:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm going to guess because you can rent what you want for often the same price as maintenance fees without the commitment.

I have never rented out my DPs. Too much work for me.

klkaylor

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are options for renting your DPs with no real work. PM if you want the contact point. It is not me so and I am not selling/soliciting a personal service just adding an option folks to consider.