• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale points EVER be counted towards VIP status???

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
I have purchased 364k points, all resale, at Kingsgate since last year. I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed staying at Wyndham resorts. Is there EVER a way that the resale points can be/would be counted towards VIP status?
thanks, Bob

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I have purchased 364k points, all resale, at Kingsgate since last year. I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed staying at Wyndham resorts. Is there EVER a way that the resale points can be/would be counted towards VIP status?
thanks, Bob

Not now no. In times past it was possible if you picked up certain weeks based contracts and converted them to points, but this loophole was eliminated some time ago now.

The only way to obtain VIP status is with a developer point purchase now. The cheapest way to obtain VIP is to use PIC along with a developer point purchase. This is what I did in July 2018 to obtain temp VIPP and permanent VIPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
If you buy at least 400,000 points retail, you can use all your points on silver benefits (retail and resale), except for club pass(you are limited to the number of retail points that you own). However, 400,000 retail plus 300,000 resale point will not stack to give you gold benefits.

Also, VIP benefits do not apply to club pass resorts, so if you have any interest in staying at the Worldmark properties, you are better off buying Worldmark resale than VIP.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not now no. In times past it was possible if you picked up certain weeks based contracts and converted them to points, but this loophole was eliminated some time ago now.

The only way to obtain VIP status is with a developer point purchase now. The cheapest way to obtain VIP is to use PIC along with a developer point purchase. This is what I did in July 2018 to obtain temp VIPP and permanent VIPG.

What was the total cost going this route?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was the total cost going this route?
Too much! Way too much! You could buy several big Harleys and a bunch of firearms for what is will cost.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now for Platinum, around $100K plus, back in the days before Wyndham around $30K.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Too much! Way too much! You could buy several big Harleys and a bunch of firearms for what is will cost.

For us it was 27k total. According to my calculations, which I maintain in a spreadsheet, we will surpass an equivalent resale purchase between the 8-9th year of ownership, all things being equal.

By this I mean if we had purchased the amount of points we’re actually using solely via resale, we would be paying more for the resale points than the developer points. This is due to two primary factors. One, our PIC property MFs are lower than almost any Wyndham contract. Two, we are not the typical vacationers and book 80% of our points within the VIP discount window. The route we took isn’t for everyone in other words. The underlying assumptions could also change, Wyndham could dump the PIC program or alter the VIP program in future years. It’s a betting mans game in many respects.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always try to travel in the 60 day 50% discount window. It Is a great way to travel If your travel plans allow for it.

Last edited:

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
For us it was 27k total. According to my calculations, which I maintain in a spreadsheet, we will surpass an equivalent resale purchase between the 8-9th year of ownership, all things being equal.

By this I mean if we had purchased the amount of points we’re actually using solely via resale, we would be paying more for the resale points than the developer points. This is due to two primary factors. One, our PIC property MFs are lower than almost any Wyndham contract. Two, we are not the typical vacationers and book 80% of our points within the VIP discount window. The route we took isn’t for everyone in other words. The underlying assumptions could also change, Wyndham could dump the PIC program or alter the VIP program in future years. It’s a betting mans game in many respects. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wyndham has dumbed down VIP benefits over the years. Now they can make new levels and offer the benefits they took away to the new levels.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham has dumbed down VIP benefits over the years. Now they can make new levels and offer the benefits they took away to the new levels.
Daze and confuse. Great marketing strategy. The Hype to buy now before levels change. Sell more points the one can use. Rent points to cover maintenance fees. Rember one fact Wyndham math never adds up.

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Daze and confuse. Great marketing strategy. The Hype to buy now before levels change. Sell more points the one can use. Rent points to cover maintenance fees. Rember one fact Wyndham math never adds up.
Have you ever thought about stopping the non stop- constant bashing of the hands[VIPs] that feed you cheap discounted & upgraded reservations??

Along with the company [Wyndham] that supplies the resorts that we all enjoy staying at for less than a motel room??

Last edited:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Well PIC to VIP doesn't make economical sense to get VIP Gold for a little under 30k for a typical household where both parents work full time and their kids are in school. I personally can't leave 150+ kids without a teacher because I want to go on vacation during the school year. My husband can't just be on vacation all the time as a Net Admin where 5 minutes of downtime at his job can cost the company $50,000. As a teacher, I can see how behind a kid gets when they're on vacation for a week. It only makes sense if you're older/can work remote/don't have kids.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
It is completely dependent on one's family circumstances, and in your case it seems like you've got a handle on things. But I could suggest a different way for you to look at things. At some point you will be empty nesters. At some point you will both be retired.

VIP Gold does have value. Not having to think about Housekeeping Fees or Reservation Fees gives you the freedom to take frequent short vacations. Retirees often have almost unlimited flexibility, making it more likely that they can find reservations they would like within the discount window.

So maybe the cost of $30k for a VIP Gold is worth getting now if you think you might want it when you are empty nest retirees. If you want it then it might be $50k. Or $60k. Or the PIC program might be unavailable.

I'm not really trying to persuade you to go VIP now, I'm just playing devil's advocate, trying to offer another perspective.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well PIC to VIP doesn't make economical sense to get VIP Gold for a little under 30k for a typical household where both parents work full time and their kids are in school. I personally can't leave 150+ kids without a teacher because I want to go on vacation during the school year. My husband can't just be on vacation all the time as a Net Admin where 5 minutes of downtime at his job can cost the company $50,000. As a teacher, I can see how behind a kid gets when they're on vacation for a week. It only makes sense if you're older/can work remote/don't have kids.
How much vacation time do you get?? Teachers typically get 2-3 months a year.
When does a trip on vacation make economical sense to you? I’ve said many times if you look at economics of traveling on vacation instead of staying home, you’re staying home every time.

Half of the threads are dgalati relentlessly bashing Wyndham & VIPs. Give it a rest!!!!!!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spending $30K now for something I might or might not want later isn’t something I’d be comfortable with. True, money is for spending, but I can think of lots of other options.
Yes very true. Life happens and changes occur. I would wait until needed. The cost and program will change but no need to spend 30k plus for something you may or maynot need.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

What benefits did they take away, that are being offered to new levels? I’m not sure how you know what benefits are being offered to the new levels other then what is printed on the brochure. The benefits printed on the brochure were never VIP benefits before this.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
What benefits did they take away, that are being offered to new levels? I’m not sure how you know what benefits are being offered to the new levels other then what is printed on the brochure. The benefits printed on the brochure were never VIP benefits before this. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I stated, Wyndham "can" not will offer them in the new level. It's still unknown what benefits will be offered, but benefits will have to increase in order to make sales.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

In theory agreed, if you cannot use what you purchase, then it's probably not wise to purchase it. This is why so many timeshare owners have a negative viewpoint of timesharing in fact, as they either financially overextend themselves, or they aren't a good match for the timesharing lifestyle IME. There's nothing worse than buying something and continuously paying for something you can't use right? That said, it's also pretty easy to rent your Wyndham owned points to cover MFs, so if you foresee that you will want to vacation a LOT later in life, it may be worth paying less now especially if you have the income to support such a purchase, which most folks won't have later in life as their earning potential declines as they approach retirement age. We plan to vacation a LOT as we approach retirement age, we may even timeshare full time for a good part of the year, as we love the timeshare lifestyle quite frankly.

In this respect, I think some people don't see the forest through the trees with respect to spending money on timesharing. The longer you own a timeshare and use it, the more cost effective it becomes as you drive down the sum total of money spent across an ever increasing number of vacations taken. For us, the decision was an easy one to make as our youngest child was almost 19 when we bought last year. Our kids are all in college and are young adults. Your definition of vacation assumes you are taking time away from work to use timesharing. We use 10-12 weekend stays at timeshare locations that requires us to use almost no vacation time. I've got 5 weeks of vacation at my job, can work remotely at will, and while my wife only has two weeks vacation right now, she is a nurse and works shift work so it is fairly easy for her to swap shifts with other nurses to free up Fridays or Mondays for us to take long weekend trips together. We then take 1-2 weeks of full vacations each year based upon her available vacation time at present. She will cross five years of employment with her current company and earns an extra week of vacation, which further increases our vacation options starting next year.

Again, I've always said that our use case doesn't match up with most other timeshare owners from what I've observed. We often want to vacation when others don't, at resorts when others don't. I'm very introverted and have zero desire to vacation when everyone else does, at the same demand resorts and areas that everyone else does during prime season. As a result, we can book 75-80% of our timeshare reservations in the discount window, and we usually receive free room upgrades to boot. We are still VIPP through Sept 2020, so for us this means 50% off points for most of our reservations. Now if I could just figure out a way to obtain permanent VIPP on the cheap. :)

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I stated, Wyndham "can" not will offer them in the new level. It's still unknown what benefits will be offered, but benefits will have to increase in order to make sales.

Benefits have to increase, I agree. However, there is not reason to believe they will take benefits from the existing levels and give it to the new levels. That’s not increasing benefits. That’s reducing them. They are reducing them by taking away unlimited housekeeping. However, they have not indicated the top tier will get unlimited housekeeping. There is nothing even suggesting that they will taking away benefits and giving them to the top tier. I am not sure why you think that might be the case. What are you biassing it on? Just because they can? Taking away benefits from the lower tiers to give to the upper tiers is bad business. If they did that, people would be less likely to upgrade their VIP status, if they know benefits will be taken away. Especially if they are taken away and given to top tiers. If you’re going to talk about possibilities, maybe talk about ones that might actually happen instead of trying to scare people.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Benefits have to increase, I agree. However, there is not reason to believe they will take benefits from the existing levels and give it to the new levels. That’s not increasing benefits. That’s reducing them. They are reducing them by taking away unlimited housekeeping. However, they have not indicated the top tier will get unlimited housekeeping. There is nothing even suggesting that they will taking away benefits and giving them to the top tier. I am not sure why you think that might be the case. What are you biassing it on? Just because they can? Taking away benefits from the lower tiers to give to the upper tiers is bad business. If they did that, people would be less likely to upgrade their VIP status, if they know benefits will be taken away. Especially if they are taken away and given to top tiers. If you’re going to talk about possibilities, maybe talk about ones that might actually happen instead of trying to scare people. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You missed the point. Wyndham has already dumbed down benefits over the years. They change their policies and reduce benefits. This has gone on since Wyndham took over. An example is, VIPP use to have unlimited guest certificates. Now Wyndham can give the benefits they reduced or eliminated to a higher level and use them as a carrot to buy into the higher level. It's all about sales. It's all about the bottom line.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
You missed the point. Wyndham has already dumbed down benefits over the years. They change their policies and reduce benefits. This has gone on since Wyndham took over. An example is, VIPP use to have unlimited guest certificates. Now Wyndham can give the benefits they reduced or eliminated to a higher level and use them as a carrot to buy into the higher level. It's all about sales. It's all about the bottom line.

Thank you for providing an example of a benefit that was taken away. I’d be willing to bet that had something to do with the mega renters abusing the system. It’s a shame they took it away, but I can’t say that I blame them. That one you would have to put squarely on the mega renters. It’s unfortunate that the actions of a few have negative consequences on the people who don’t abuse the system. That’s the reason they took away other things like the credit pool. Do you have any other examples? I genuinely want to know. Preferably ones that were taken away for a reason that doesn’t have to do with the mega renters.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

Yes, this is my understanding as well. I can certainly understand the sensitivity to walking things back only to reintroduce them later. That said, if grandfathering is still in effect, and all indicators are that it will be in effect for Privileges, then I'm not sure I agree in entirety that current owners will have to upgrade to a higher level. If anything, there are early indicators that current VIP owners are going to have better benefits under Privileges - without having to make an additional purchase, with the clear understanding that the entire program is subject to change of course. For instance, all current VIPG and VIPP owners can now obtain a free upgrade to WR Diamond status - a Privileges benefit - right now. That's a pretty good perk IMHO - as someone who uses WR points quite a bit for free hotel stays - it's meaningful to me.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is my understanding as well. I can certainly understand the sensitivity to walking things back only to reintroduce them later. That said, if grandfathering is still in effect, and all indicators are that it will be in effect for Privileges, then I'm not sure I agree in entirety that current owners will have to upgrade to a higher level. If anything, there are early indicators that current VIP owners are going to have better benefits under Privileges - without having to make an additional purchase, with the clear understanding that the entire program is subject to change of course. For instance, all current VIPG and VIPP owners can now obtain a free upgrade to WR Diamond status - a Privileges benefit - right now. That's a pretty good perk IMHO - as someone who uses WR points quite a bit for free hotel stays - it's meaningful to me.

Also using that Diamond status to get Diamond status at Ceasers is a new and potentially useful benefit.