• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale or [developer] purchase [Westin Ka'anapali]

Lookingtobuy

Reaction score
Hi guys

my cousin is at westin kanapaali ocean resort villas north. She wants to buy. Developer is charging 55 k for 148,000 options. Can she buy resale from anyone in Maui. Is it still better to buy resale? Any help will be appreciated. I remember a guy use to sell in Maui. Can’t remember name

thx

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

bernierosa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aquarius Boqueron Beach, Puerto Rco
WestGate Villas, Orlando
100% agree with DeniseM, resale will save her a big chunk and she will be able to enjoy her purchase with out remorse. just add the MF to the asking price MF will raise through time more likely than not. also check eBay and the market place here as well. Perhaps she will strike gold!

Lookingtobuy

Reaction score
100% agree with DeniseM, resale will save her a big chunk and she will be able to enjoy her purchase with out remorse. just add the MF to the asking price MF will raise through time more likely than not. also check eBay and the market place here as well. Perhaps she will strike gold!

what do you mean add the maintenance fee to asking price?
thx for your help

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Aboslutely buy RESALE - she will probably save at least 75%. Send her to see this Tugger who has a timeshare real estate office nearby in Lahaina:

808-268-3826
Confirmed! We bought oceanfront at the South less than a year ago after attending a sales presentation where they insisted we could never pass ROFR on such a unit. Bingo! Sure enough, 4 months later, and 80% less than the "best deal we've ever offered". You have to resist the sales folks, as genuine as they seem to be, they generally do not have your best interest in mind.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

Bill4728

Reaction score
just add the MF to the asking price MF will raise through time more likely than not.
I think it means if you offer the asking price plus the MFs, which will raise the offer to help pass ROFR. (which will mean the seller will pay MFs on closing)

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Second that. Actually third that advice. We just bought two weeks from Syed at Advantage Vacation.
Third that. Or maybe fourth.
We have bought and sold through Syed. He is a star.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Others haven’t mentioned it - but I will.

If you do buy on Maui I would recommend either the North or South phases. Nanea is nice, but it is a voluntary resort, so you won’t get the StarOptions with a resale unit. North and South you will.

Normally you would want to use your Maui week on Maui since the MF are expensive. But there can be times when having the SO is nice. These past two years I’m thankful I was able to bank my SO.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Just out of curiosity, why does it matter which timeshare agent you use for resale purchases? Why would one be better than another if they have been around for awhile? Can‘t you just look on Redweek and make an offer on whichever one looks like a fit regardless of who the agent is?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just because someone sells on Redweek is no guarantee of good service. In fact, Redweek itself sometimes has slow, indifferent service with their full-service sales. You are better off with a well-known, reputable resale agent, who many Tuggers have used. Plus - he's located 10 min. away from the Westin, so he's close and is likely to have a lot of Westin inventory.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
It is a fact that many timeshare weeks are sold before they can ever be advertised online. If you let the broker know what you’re looking for, that can be much more effective than waiting for something to show up on Redweek…and, this is a swift market, by the time you see it on Redweek, good chance they already have a pending offer

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Don’t limit yourself to just one channel. Syed is a good source, but Redweek is perfectly fine and if the price is reasonable and what you want grab it. I’ve found two resales on Redweek and one through MyResortNetwork.

All transactions have gone extremely smoothly even with different real estate and closing agents on each one. One was Redweek full service, the other two were posted by independent licensed Real Estate agents. I would have no hesitation using them again.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The OP isn't buying a TS - it's their less experienced (I'm assuming) cousin. Syed would be a good face-to-face intro to the resale market, even if they don't buy from him.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
If you really want to build a portfolio of great timeshares, resales are the way to go. We have both developer week purchases of weeks and points and have also purchased resales. Please look at the difference in the initial cost of developer versus resale purchases. You'll find resale purchases to be about 20% of what it would cost for enough points for a week under the Marriott Vacation Club program.

Lookingtobuy

Reaction score
Confirmed! We bought oceanfront at the South less than a year ago after attending a sales presentation where they insisted we could never pass ROFR on such a unit. Bingo! Sure enough, 4 months later, and 80% less than the "best deal we've ever offered". You have to resist the sales folks, as genuine as they seem to be, they generally do not have your best interest in mind.

hi DENISE

one more question. My cousin has been told if she buys resale she won’t have access to Marriott vacations properties after the merge? Is this correct? Do we as older owners have access to those properties?

thx

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
hi DENISE

one more question. My cousin has been told if she buys resale she won’t have access to Marriott vacations properties after the merge? Is this correct? Do we as older owners have access to those properties?

thx
I don't think there is a definitive answer to that yet

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We don't know - if that is important to you, I'd wait on your purchase.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Just because someone sells on Redweek is no guarantee of good service. In fact, Redweek itself sometimes has slow, indifferent service with their full-service sales. You are better off with a well-known, reputable resale agent, who many Tuggers have used. Plus - he's located 10 min. away from the Westin, so he's close and is likely to have a lot of Westin inventory.
I am actually quite highly un-impressed with the Redweek full-service sales team. Very slow customer service, not very helpful, surely they do not make me feel like they have my best interest in mind.