• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Requalifying an SDO 2br plat 1-52

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were to buy a resale SDO 2br plat 1-52 (not TRUE plat) and then requalify it, would the SO's be 81,000? Also, the MF's for the 1-52 plat seems to be much lower than the 1-21, 50-52 plat. Would the MF's go up if I requalify it?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Maintenance fees are based on unit size - there shouldn't be a significant difference between the floating, and seasonal units of the same size. So requalifying it will not effect the MF, except you will have to pay the SVN fee if you Requal..

Where are you getting your MF numbers? If you are getting them from Ads, we've found that they are often wrong, old, or incomplete. For instance they may not include taxes and the SVN fee.

2008 MF's posted by Tuggers:

Sheraton Desert Oasis - 2 Bedroom L/0 2008 Maint Fee
The maint fee for a 2 bedroom lock-off at SDO for 2008 is US$794.24 (which includes taxes, but not the SVN or optional ARDA fee). This is also an increase of 9% over last year (US$728.46).

-nodge

Last edited:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, 81,000 SOs. All float 1-52 are considered "gold" in retro. :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hey Kath - can you deposit both sides of the SDO lock-off as a 1 bdm.? :D

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen the MF's posted in ads. For example, if you look in the classified ads on TUG, there are a lot of people selling the 1-52's. They are saying that the MF's are in the mid to upper $700 range. I thought I saw a 1-21, 50-52 plat 2br that had higher MF's...maybe I'm mistaken.

Anyway...if the MF's are really that low at SDO, maybe if wouldn't be that terrible of an idea to requal a 1-52 plat. I just don't understand why the MF's at SDO are so much less than the other *wood properties.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anyway...if the MF's are really that low at SDO, maybe if wouldn't be that terrible of an idea to requal a 1-52 plat. I just don't understand why the MF's at SDO are so much less than the other *wood properties.

It's not a terrible idea, it's just that you get a lot more bang for your buck if you requal something with more Staroptions. Every time you requal you have to buy something else from the developer so it makes sense to Requal something with Max. Staroptions - otherwise you are buying more weeks from the developer than you have to. You may be saving a little by buying the cheaper weeks to requal, but in the end you will pay more by having to buy more weeks from the developer.

For the most part, only the newer resorts and the ones outside the US have higher MF's. The older ones that are within the US are all cheaper.

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think SDO is a lovely, smaller resort without all the fancy bells and whistles of a large resort that would drive up MFs. It will likely get an assessment though in the next 3-4 years because it needs some work to keep up with the times.

I agree with Denise M -- retro 148,100 SOs if you can. If not, at least try to retro 81,000 so you get a larger 1BR out of your SOs. Anything less than 81,000 SO's is really not worth it.

Don't forget the ski weeks to retro too (Lakeside and SMV!). They also convert to a lot of SPs.

Kath

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Kath - can you deposit both sides of the SDO lock-off as a 1 bdm.? :D

One Is a 1 bedroom limited kitchen, the other a 1 br with a full kitchen.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am yanking Kath's chain with the SDO question - she's already asked it twice this last week. :D

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
One Is a 1 bedroom limited kitchen, the other a 1 br with a full kitchen.

See! I told you it's all about the kitchen! Kitchenettes don't count. Unless the kitchenettes have a 4-burner stove and a dishwasher. :crash:

Katherine

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
See! I told you it's all about the kitchen! Kitchenettes don't count. Unless the kitchenettes have a 4-burner stove and a dishwasher. :crash:

Katherine

You are contradicting yourself - if it doesn't count, how did you deposit it as a 1 bdm??? :rofl:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are contradicting yourself - if it doesn't count, how did you deposit it as a 1 bdm??? :rofl:

I didn't! I deposited the studio side and made a killer II trade. YOU said it was because it was a 1BR. So HA!!! :wave:

Really though -- we are hijacking this poor thread! You all convinced me -- SDO trades as 2 one bedrooms and it's NOT because of the kitchenette, it's because the smaller 1BR is separate from the LR too. RIGHT?

Kath

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't! I deposited the studio side and made a killer II trade. YOU said it was because it was a 1BR. So HA!!! :wave:

Really though -- we are hijacking this poor thread! You all convinced me -- SDO trades as 2 one bedrooms and it's NOT because of the kitchenette, it's because the smaller 1BR is separate from the LR too. RIGHT?

Kath

There are no studios at SDO - the lock-off is two - 1 bdms. - still! :hysterical:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Josh - Sorry we hijacked your thread, but it was all in good fun! :hi:

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Company 47 inventory provides for 81,000 StarOptions all year round.
Company 49 inventory has the three seasons. You definitely want to find a company 49 ownership that is deeded a week 1-21, or 50-52 so that you will get 148,100 StarOptions out of the process even if you have to pay a little extra.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
James:

Do owners have this company 47 or 49 info someplace. I found this to be VERY difficult to determine. Is it on the deed? Or perhaps when they log on to mystarcentral? Or does only someone at Starwood have this information?

Thanks!

Katherine

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Company 47 inventory provides for 81,000 StarOptions all year round.
Company 49 inventory has the three seasons. You definitely want to find a company 49 ownership that is deeded a week 1-21, or 50-52 so that you will get 148,100 StarOptions out of the process even if you have to pay a little extra.

OK, Mr Former SVO Dude :cool: , what's a Company 47 and 49? That's a new one for me.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
47 is the units prior to starwood and 49 is starwood sales.

Got it. Is this an SDO only thing, or should I be reading my SBP (and any other resorts Starwood purchased) documents more closely to see what it says?

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got it. Is this an SDO only thing, or should I be reading my SBP (and any other resorts Starwood purchased) documents more closely to see what it says?

Every property has a company number associated with it. But for SDO it's 47 or 49. I think this is the way to tell if it's the old units (Embassy) or the new Starwood units. Katherine