• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Report on my new Whirlpool Cabrio washer

sammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is shopping, I just want to share my feedback on this new tech, high efficiency, TOP-load washer.

After doing a little research on washers and dryers I opted NOT to get the newest fad front loaders. I was easily persuaded against them because with the front load washer you cannot throw another item in at the last minute. (With most loads I find that last minute dish towel, powder room hand towel, sock that fell on the stairs, gym bag T and shorts, whatever that I forget to put in the load with the rest.) I also happen to think the front loaders are big and ugly. They remind me of my college and poor days when I did the laundromat thing.

So I opted to buy the new HE toploader by Whirlpool - the Cabrio series. It has the capacity of the front loaders with the convenience and look of the top loaders. It is a huge wash bin without that typical center agitator. It does, indeed, hold a very large amount of clothing and is incredibly quiet. It supposedly uses very little water and very little energy so that is great, too. I must say, my clothes do seem a little cleaner as well. So, based on all that I love this machine.

Now the bad news. I have had it only 10 days and it has come up with this 'F' error code repeatedly that forces me to drain the whole machine, refill with detergent, and rerun the load on 'heavy duty' cycle. (I'm doing 4 pair of jeans and 4 Ts, or 1 set of queen sheets and 4 towels -- not heavy duty loads in my opinion.) I could just keep the machine and run everything on 'heavy duty', but I wonder why I paid $999 for a 10+ speed machine that will only do one? I think, thou I am not sure, I can adjust this setting to have the right water temp and cycle speed and cycle length I want so I technically can adjust as needed, but still I think I'll be turning it in for a replacement. If 2nd machine does the same, I'll switch to another model.

Bottom line, this machine is worth it if they fix the error code thing. So before buying this one I'd make certain this F error code issue is resolved. I do think it may be worth waiting for rather than settling for the front loaders.

snippet

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I bought a new washer and dryer a few months ago to replace my 24 year old Maytag set. It's a front loader. I can add a last minute item. I like the set and love the increased capacity.

The other new appliance I purchased is my dishwasher. Man, I'm in love! That thing is quiet and cleans like a dog licked the plates clean! :D (ewwww!) Well, it's super and I keep raving about it to my family so much they are sick of my accolades.

All are Frigidaires.

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sammy:
Call the Whirlpool Tech now (Probably a Sears Employee). It might be a simple fix with the code pad.

The unit is under warrantee...so it will not cost anything. How long is the warantee for?

Since this is another 'new' idea, do you think you ought to buy the extended service plan?

BTW...our front loader also takes stuff after the wash starts.

sammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Good to know the FLs do allow last minute additions. If this error code thing is not resolved I may be getting one of those after all.

The other thing I forgot to mention is wrinkles.

Wow, everything is so wrinkled! I now choose to run on the lowest spin cycle the washer lets me use based on the wash cycle - typically medium as it won't usually let me choose low for some reason. And even with that medium spin, everything is super wrinkled. I used to throw all the lightweight items in the dryer on high for a few minutes and quickly hang up -- wrinkles disappeared; then did the heavier items the same -- wrinkles gone on them, too. Now, I haven't come up with any combination that works. Kids wear wrinkled stuff and I am forced to iron all of ours.

Also, with the cabrio dryer, the sensor doesn't seem to work well. Even when I use the 'more dry' option sock elastic, shorts waistbands, and other thicker parts of clothing still come out damp.

drmarna

Reaction score
Thanks for your report Sammy. I am very interested in this machine as well and have similar concerns about front-loaders. In addition I am concerned about the Maytag's mold and seal problems. I could use a much smalerl machine, but I hate those quarterly trips to the laundromat to wash my king sized comforter, mattress cover and pad (for $20 in quartersl- although for $999 plus utilities, I could still do a lot of loads at the laundromat). Please keep us updated as to the resolution of your problems.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted awhile back about needing a new washer dryer and I too got some excellent opinions and advice here.

Most folks recommended a front load, but I decided on a traditional top load.

Once we seriously got looking, I was able to find a GE Adora at the Home Depot at a great price with some great rebates & free shipping/set up. Price was an issue, and while the front loads looked cool etc...It would have been at least $400 to $500(more for really high end) for a front load system.

My main concern was extra capacity tub size and I am pleased that this model has a really large tub, almost as large as front loaders.

It's quite with no problems at all the last few months.

sammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay tuned....

Stay tuned....I am getting a new Cabrio washer next week. I'll let you know if it is any better.

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
I was at Best Buy today looking for a Washer & Dryer....someone please suggest something because I am sooooo CONFUSED!!

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
Due to limited space, I purchased the Whirlpool Duet Sport, they arrive on Monday!!

sammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
2nd Cabrio:

Well I finally got my Cabrio replacement washer. (What a series of customer service calamaties that ordeal was! :wall: :wall: :wall: ) While I've only done about 5 loads, so far so good.

Comparing this 2nd one to the 1st, I notice that this one uses a lot more water. Since the lid is glass, I can actually see how much water is being used. On the first one, I thought it was way too little water, but thought that was one of the objectives of these newer HE washers and figured it was supposed to be that way. :doh: Now, with this 2nd one, I wonder if the first never used enough, or if this 2nd one is just doing what the reports say -- using extra water to balance an unbalanced load and, therefore, not functioning HE anymore. This 2nd one is still only using about 1/3 of a tub of water, while in the first machine I could barely even see water in the tub -- the clothes came out barely damp (again, I thought it was supposed to be that way -- super high spin to dry a lot and save on drying time.) In my mind, this one is using the amount of water intended; not sure how I can check that, thou.

I think that also explains why my 1st machine created such MAJOR, MAJOR wrinkles. This 2nd one still generates a lot more wrinkles than my old machine, but it is not nearly as bad as the barely-any-water-machine.

I see a fair number of views on this post so I assume someone is interested in this machine and so I will report back after another few weeks of use. ;)

drmarna

Reaction score
I have one on the way

I ordered the Cabrio as well because the front loaders are just too low, if not on platforms and the salesperson claims those platforms are noisy, unless on a concrete floor. Mine won't be delivered for another month- we are tiling our laundry room, but I hope I don't regret getting this machine while its reliability is still an issue. Keep us informed, Sammy. Also, did you get the matching dryer and do you like it?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
It seems to me that the newer, better appliances are not as well built as the older outdated models.

For instance, all the new Whirlpool appliances I had when I built my house 7 years ago have already called it quits. The refrigerator compressor went out about one week before the warrenty did. The repairman said they are all pretty much underpowered now and give up the ghost much earlier than years past when they'd run 20+ years. The Whirlpool washer we had quit working last July and the dryer was taking upwards of 2 hours to dry a load of laundry. The dishwasher had gotten to a point that we weren't sure if it was running or if a single engine aircraft was about to crash into our house. The only thing still working from when we built the house is the GE stove and that's probably because it doesn't get a lot of use (we eat out a lot or use the crockpot's).

The replacements? We'll, we fixed the Whirlpool refrigerator since it was still under warrenty. The repairman told us the replacement compressor was what should have been put in it in the first place. We'll see in a few more years if he's right. The LG washer and dryer we have are great for now but, time will tell if they last long enough to be worth the price paid. The LG dishwasher has already broken down and it was brand new in July. The repairman questions if it was installed properly since it was a problem with discharging the old water. Aparently they need more clearance than the standard dishwasher. At any rate, I'm going on 3 weeks without a dishwasher as the new motor is still on back order. I'm about ready to call the store that sold it to us and tell them to get the $&^# thing out of my house and give me credit towards another brand.

We've had one other problem with poor preformance since moving in. Our AC had to have it's evaporator replaced. Apparently they're now making them out of aluminum and it doesn't last nearly as long as when they made them out of copper. At the point it was replaced it was only 5 or 6 years old. NOT and impressive track record for all the brand new appliances we started out with nor what we've replaced them with in the last couple of years IMO.

drmarna

Reaction score
Love my new Cabrio-so far

I am loving my new Cabrio washer and dryer and I replaced fairly recent traditional models, so its not just the bells and whistles or the fact that I have a working machine-my previous machines were working just fine. Last weekend I washed a mattress topper, 2 comforters, with shams, blankets & sheets, and mattress pad (separate loads of course) and it held them all beautifully, although I did spend most of the weekend on laundry. For me, the washer is easier to load and unload than comparable front loaders. This weekend I just washed my normal two loads and realized I could have waited another week, these machines hold so much!. Obviously, I don't know how reliable these machines will be or how long they will last since I have had then only about three weeks, but no regrets so far.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wife loved this until!

drmarna said:
I am loving my new Cabrio washer and dryer and I replaced fairly recent traditional models, so its not just the bells and whistles or the fact that I have a working machine-my previous machines were working just fine. Last weekend I washed a mattress topper, 2 comforters, with shams, blankets & sheets, and mattress pad (separate loads of course) and it held them all beautifully, although I did spend most of the weekend on laundry. For me, the washer is easier to load and unload than comparable front loaders. This weekend I just washed my normal two loads and realized I could have waited another week, these machines hold so much!. Obviously, I don't know how reliable these machines will be or how long they will last since I have had then only about three weeks, but no regrets so far.

We have been thinking of replacing washer/dryer and also going from elec to gas like we always had.

We had our Sears service out to replace broken part on dishwasher. This tech has been to our house past three years for servicing so we know each other now.

We talked about new washer/dryer and he told us gas dryer doesn't save us money anylonger. Also told us not to buy this washer. Said people love the idea that nothing in the center and you can do blankets/sheets in it. He told us its just a piece of junk!

He told us there are nothing but problems with this unit and he has service calls every day on these units and not that many even sold yet!

:wave:

drmarna

Reaction score
Problems maybe, but just rated No. 1 top loader in CR

The consumer reports I received today, rated the Whirlpool Cabrio models(and the Kenmore Oasis models which are basically the same machine) as the 4 best top loading machines (and considerabley cheaper than the $1,500 LG front loader twhich rated higher) There is still no reliability data on these models however, so I'll cross my fingers. The Kenmore dryer was rated quite a bit higher than the Whirlpool The Whirlpool was just middle of the road.

sammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had the replacement Cabrio washer about 6-8 weeks now...

...and no problems at all. It must have been the low water issue in the original unit. I have done many, many loads from small to throw rugs to my dark jeans load (which is probably my biggest load -- typically has 8 pair jeans, 3 pair sweat pants, 10-12 t-shirts, socks, a few other misc items). Have not had any issues at all. I am liking it so far.

Time will tell about the service. I am crossing my fingers, too, that this unit will not require any servicing over the years. It was not so bad years ago when everything was mechanical and you could fix things yourself; now with all the electronics it is difficult if not impossible to do much of anything yourself.

As for the matching Cabrio electric dryer, well, its fine. It dries large loads fairly quickly (and I am used to gas.) The sensor is a little annoying -- it keeps adjusting the time left on the machine based on how dry it senses them to be and it doesn't get it right -- I set on dryest setting and some heavier items in the load - like the white athletic socks - are still slightly damp. No big deal, thou, I just run it a little longer.