• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting to Convention Organizers.

Welshcake

Reaction score
Hello Tuggers,
We have been approached by Luxury Event Leaders to rent one week time share per year for the next 10 years for use by a third party for convention use. Has anybody out there had a similar offer? What were the results? Good, Bad or Ugly?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hello Tuggers,
We have been approached by Luxury Event Leaders to rent one week time share per year for the next 10 years for use by a third party for convention use. Has anybody out there had a similar offer? What were the results? Good, Bad or Ugly?

It's just an upfront fee scam. To start, there are relatively few locations where there are timeshares located sufficiently close to a major convention center to make the timeshare an attractive.

Even in those cases where there are timeshares near a major convention center, it's hit and miss as to whether the check-in check-out dates will coincide with the convention dates.

Then even if you were to get past those two hurdles, the biggest one of all remains - convention organizers have less then zero interest in putting up conventioneers in timeshares. That's because the convention economics and budget rely on conventioneers staying at the designated conference hotels. If they start directing conventioneers to timeshares, they begin losing money.

I write the above as a person who has been involved in planning conventions where we had to meet room commitments, as well as a person who has actually stayed at timeshares while going to a convention, and I've even rented a timeshare to a conventioneer. Needless to say, my timeshare arrangements at conventions were all done outside the convention channels, on my own initiative. And they did not happen at major convention centers.

Convention organizers have less than zero interest in

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are only a few conventions that I know of that do sell out entire cities. CES comes to mind..

I have a convention I go to sometimes that sometimes in Orlando have HGVC Seaworld on the hotel list. I have rented directly from owners twice, taking advantage of staying at a hotel that is on the convention bus route while getting a 1 or 2 bdrm space for the same price or less of their bulk blocked hotel /studio unit. But I think they cut the deal with Hilton or HGVC not with individual owners. The conference has about 15K+ attendees.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a past work life, I also managed events for our team in large convention areas. In all cases, we 'had' to use the hotel which was contracted for the event stay. In fact, we registered for the event and weren't given a choice.

All travel costs for a convention were centrally billed for the event, and if anyone went outside that process, they'd have to submit a separate expense report and hope like heck it would be approved as an exception.

Granted, this was for a large company and smaller companies probably had more leeway. But I doubt there's much of a market for timeshare space for conventions.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Go down this road, and at some point in the future, you will be asked to pay a fee of some sort -- to cover processing, guest certificates or something -- and after they get your $$, for some mysterious reason, no rentals will occur.