• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting Staroptions. Help

dazgreg

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westin lagunamar
Hi,
I am new to this site, and after some help.
Due to a family illness I have not been able to travel and now have close to 200,000 SO I need to start using, so was looking at advertising on Redweek or anywhere else you can recommend.
Was after some help with which resorts and weeks are the most likely to rent with the most success.
Thank you.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
Hi,
I am new to this site, and after some help.
Due to a family illness I have not been able to travel and now have close to 200,000 SO I need to start using, so was looking at advertising on Redweek or anywhere else you can recommend.
Was after some help with which resorts and weeks are the most likely to rent with the most success.
Thank you.
If you are looking to rent through Vistana you need to book Home Resort Reservations. Reservations made using StarOptions aren't eligible to Rent per Vistana Policy.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
Found this on their Website

Vistana™ Signature Experiences does not offer an Owner rental program at any of its villa resorts. However, as an Owner, you may reserve a Vacation Period at your Home Resort and arrange a private third-party rental. All renters must comply with the rules and regulations of your Home Resort, and as the Owner, you will be responsible for the acts or omissions of your renter and their guests. Once you have rented your Home Resort Vacation Period, please notify Owner Services of the arriving guest name to ensure their access to your reservation at check-in. Owners should be current in all fees, including maintenance fees and taxes, associated with ownership prior to the arrival date. To ensure your guest a seamless check-in, please pay all fees in advance, as guests will not be allowed to check in until all fees are paid. If additional housekeeping fees are assessed on the reservation, your guest will be responsible for paying these fees at check-out if you have not settled the fees with the resort prior to your guest’s departure (see confirmation to determine if additional housekeeping fees are assessed).

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
If you are looking to rent through Vistana you need to book Home Resort Reservations. Reservations made using StarOptions aren't eligible to Rent per Vistana Policy.

Vistana™ Signature Experiences does not offer an Owner rental program at any of its villa resorts. However, as an Owner, you may reserve a Vacation Period at your Home Resort and arrange a private third-party rental. All renters must comply with the rules and regulations of your Home Resort, and as the Owner, you will be responsible for the acts or omissions of your renter and their guests. Once you have rented your Home Resort Vacation Period, please notify Owner Services of the arriving guest name to ensure their access to your reservation at check-in. Owners should be current in all fees, including maintenance fees and taxes, associated with ownership prior to the arrival date. To ensure your guest a seamless check-in, please pay all fees in advance, as guests will not be allowed to check in until all fees are paid. If additional housekeeping fees are assessed on the reservation, your guest will be responsible for paying these fees at check-out if you have not settled the fees with the resort prior to your guest’s departure (see confirmation to determine if additional housekeeping fees are assessed).

Which many on TUG have interpreted as not requiring a Home Resort Reservation. Many interpret it to saying it is ok to make a StarOption reservation as long as the StarOption reservation is at one's Home Resort.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Which many on TUG have interpreted as not requiring a Home Resort Reservation. Many interpret it to saying it is ok to make a StarOption reservation as long as the StarOption reservation is at one's Home Resort.
I interpret it that way. I own harborside resort. If I can’t get a phase 1 unit in the 2 month timeframe I have to book a different week in my season 10-8 months out and I book at 7 it defaults to a staroption reservation. Am i not able to rent that week at my home resort? The guideline doesn’t say you cannot rent unless it’s your home resort in your deeded week.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I interpret it that way. I own harborside resort. If I can’t get a phase 1 unit in the 2 month timeframe I have to book a different week in my season 10-8 months out and I book at 7 it defaults to a staroption reservation. Am i not able to rent that week at my home resort? The guideline doesn’t say you cannot rent unless it’s your home resort in your deeded week.
Exactly. You can book any way of booking at your home resort.

More importantly you can't go booking those star options at WSJ or HRA or WKORV/S and rent that for top dollar. Unless you own at one of them.

You can make that booking and not rent it. Gift it or let family use it.

dazgreg

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westin lagunamar

Thank you for that information, so from that I take that I can only rent out a Villa at Westin Lagunamar and no other resort within the Vistana portfolio?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Thank you for that information, so from that I take that I can only rent out a Villa at Westin Lagunamar and no other resort within the Vistana portfolio?

That's correct if you only own at Westin Lagunamar.

dazgreg

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westin lagunamar
Thank you that has been very helpful, with regards to using a rental site do you recommend Redweek or another option?

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
I like to rent directly to tug users. Most tug users already know how the vacation ownership works so the transaction is much smoother. Use the tug marketplace, works well. Maybe people are having issues with using third party sites right now with all the cancellations. Make sure you have iron clad terms in your rental contract and get the money up front. I use paypal for the transaction and eat the fee to make the process smooth and have some protection.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Exactly. You can book any way of booking at your home resort.

More importantly you can't go booking those star options at WSJ or HRA or WKORV/S and rent that for top dollar. Unless you own at one of them.

You can make that booking and not rent it. Gift it or let family use it.
Yeah although I feel like they are more concerned with people who rent multiple weeks every year. I only rent one or two weeks a year. Most of the time is my other families units I’m doing for them because they aren’t tech savvy to list and process a rental so I’ve become the family broker in a sense lol

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think so. If you own a bunch of SO and never make a home reservation and always make a name change and usually reserve in higher MF resorts then you are on their radar.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never used staroptions before to book a vacation. I used restricted staroptions to make a reservation yesterday at my home resort

This is the information that is on my reservation.

"Rental of units reserved using StarOptions® (other than a vacation period at your Home Resort) is prohibited. Violation may result in the suspension of an Owner’s right to reserve within the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN) until compliant."

There is a cost of $59.00 to change the name on the reservation according to the website. Not sure if that is being waived or the charge would apply if I change the name on the reservation. I will deal with it if I need to change the name.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never used staroptions before to book a vacation. I used restricted staroptions to make a reservation yesterday at my home resort

This is the information that is on my reservation.

"Rental of units reserved using StarOptions® (other than a vacation period at your Home Resort) is prohibited. Violation may result in the suspension of an Owner’s right to reserve within the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN) until compliant."

There is a cost of $59.00 to change the name on the reservation according to the website. Not sure if that is being waived or the charge would apply if I change the name on the reservation. I will deal with it if I need to change the name.
If you change name on the reservation, it will charge $59. You can now do online. I have not read anything about waiving the name change charge. They implemented this charge for non-home option bookings around 2 years ago.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you change name on the reservation, it will charge $59. You can now do online. I have not read anything about waiving the name change charge. They implemented this charge for non-home option bookings around 2 years ago.
And if we cancel a CV necessary cancellation do we get to use the $59 again or have it refunded?

We have to change the name from my wife to me (and I'm not on the Owner account) to get me, thus us to platinum status with bonvoyed.

Anyone asked about that?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And if we cancel a CV necessary cancellation do we get to use the $59 again or have it refunded?

We have to change the name from my wife to me (and I'm not on the Owner account) to get me, thus us to platinum status with bonvoyed.

Anyone asked about that?
I don't know.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
If you have a Flex ownership, I would interpret the following text from a reservation confirmation to mean that you could use StarOptions (rather than Home Options) to reserve at any of the properties within your Flex home resorts and be within the rules to rent it out:

Rental of units reserved using StarOptions® (other than a vacation period at your Home Resort) is prohibited. Violation may result in the suspension of an Owner’s right to reserve within the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN) until compliant."

Does anybody have experience or thoughts on this?