• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting pre-booked week after purchase.

Joeten5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Presidential
Aruba Ocean Club 1BRM Platinum Floating Legacy Week, Enrolled: 2900
Aruba Surf Club 3BRM Gold Floating Legacy Week, Enrolled: 3975
Trust Points: 4000
I recently purchased a resale Marriott 2BDRM unit, Gold Season Aruba with first usage occurring 2018, The owner pre-booked the week of July 15th-22nd 2018. I am presently awaiting closing documents and was told by the broker i would receive a "guest Certificate"?? for that week which the original owner booked prior to the sale. My question is what is a guest certificate? ..never heard of this but if it is an actual item will i be able to transfer it and rent the week out?

Last edited:

Joeten5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Presidential
Sorry, unit is at the Surf Club.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Either the broker is confused or it is an II reservation. The broker is probably confused. If usage is to begin in 2018 and there is an existing reservation Marriott will transfer it to you as the new owner but it should be specifically communicated to Marriott to transfer the week otherwise it could be canceled. In either case it will not stay with the prior owner for them to add your name as a renter or guest. That would only happen if the transfer paperwork states usage begins in 2019.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that 2018 week was already deposited into II and could not be pulled back so as it goes with the new ownership. If the old owner did book through II, then it cannot be rented.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that 2018 week was already deposited into II and could not be pulled back so as it goes with the new ownership. If the old owner did book through II, then it cannot be rented.

I would think that too except the OP is referencing a specific "pre-booked" reservation at the home resort. If it is an II reservation then I consider it a sham since the seller likely obtained it with half the deposit. If that really happened then it is another one of thousands of cases of timeshare brokers not bothering with proper due diligence and disclosure.

Joeten5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Presidential
Yes, it was in fact a "confused" broker. I have confirmed it is a reservation booked direct through Marriott. So, we will be able to do with it as we wish. FYI: [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator: