• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting points

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Question? If I rent 2020 points from someone that expire in 2020 and book a stay in December but have to cancel, let’s say more than 60’days out what happens to the points? Do I have to use them by the end of the year for a 2020 booking?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
You have to use them by December 31, 2020. They cannot be moved once they are transferred to you.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
That’s what I thought so it’s a bit of a gamble!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If you cancel less than 60 days, the new COVID rules would allow them to be booked 120 days from check in and extend usage through 2021.

Reactions: jme

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Alternatively, you could try to rent non-calendar Use Year points....say Nov-Oct Use Year leaving points cancelled >60 days from checkin full access through their end date in 2021.

Reactions: jme

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Yes that would be the only reason to cancel so I think I would have those new rules if I had to cancel due covid. Thank you

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Yes that would be the only reason to cancel so I think I would have those new rules if I had to cancel due covid. Thank you
It’s not canceling because of COVID, it’s cancelling 60 days or closer for any reason that triggers the current COVID holding account rules. Just wanted to clarify that.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Oh right. So that’s if they still have those rules then. Thanks

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Oh right. So that’s if they still have those rules then. Thanks
Rules state any such cancellations with 2020 or 2021 points, so I think you are safe.

Rule states....
If you are seeking to cancel your reservation and are due to arrive 1 to 60 days from the day you cancel, your Vacation Club Points will be returned to a Holding Account; however, the Points Premium (if any) will be forfeited.

For Vacation Club Points expiring anytime in 2020 or 2021 and placed into a Holding Account, the expiration deadline will be extended through December 31, 2021, and can be used for a villa reservation or select Explorer offerings within 120 days of arrival instead of the previous 60 days of arrival. The December 31, 2021 extension will be made to your account within two weeks.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Yes. But how long will that rule be enforced? With the spikes I’m thinking for awhile but you never known

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Yes. But how long will that rule be enforced? With the spikes I’m thinking for awhile but you never known
I believe MVC realized the Covid log jam is going to affect ressies for multiple years, thus including 2021 points, so I believe these rules to continue through 2021.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

In your situation you may want to make the reservation just a few days before you plan to travel, and rent the points at that time.

Using this scenario it will be less stress on you, and less worries. Also, using this scenario you can make the reservations with FEWER points as you will get a discount closer to actual check in date.

Best of luck.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Also, using this scenario you can make the reservations with FEWER points as you will get a discount closer to actual check in date.
Discounts only apply to certain ownership levels.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Thanks for all your input. Another question comes to mind. I have a points reservation in January 2021 which I had used 1250 bonus points from a purchase. Would an option be to rent 1250 points for 2021 (or borrow from 2022) and get MVC to use those points to replace the 1250 bonus points and I get those bonus points back? Is this even possible to do. The bonus points expire May 31, 2021. TIA

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Thanks for all your input. Another question comes to mind. I have a points reservation in January 2021 which I had used 1250 bonus points from a purchase. Would an option be to rent 1250 points for 2021 (or borrow from 2022) and get MVC to use those points to replace the 1250 bonus points and I get those bonus points back? Is this even possible to do. The bonus points expire May 31, 2021. TIA
MVC can do that for you. I, and others, have been successful having MVC swap out points for others inside an existing ressie.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Great. I will try that then and won’t have to rent any points if successful. I love this flexibility. Thank you.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Called MVC today and they were able to use elected points from 2022 (which i elected on the phone with them) to replace my 1250 bonus points so I now have them available for this year. Worked perfectly. Thanks for all the info.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Glad it all worked out. Many ways to skin a cat.

My apologies to cat lovers everywhere. ;-)