• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting Part of a Week

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a full week in Palm Desert up for rent. I have a received a request from a person to rent just 4 days. Could I rent him the 4 days and then still rent out the other 3 days?

This is not a points reservation. It is my deeded week.

Cheers!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I was trying to help someone do this, and Marriott did not want to give them 2 different confirmations in 2 different names.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would tell them that they can rent it for four days but still have to pay for seven. No sense jumping through hoops or discounting your price unless you are having trouble renting the week.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I rented 3 or 4 days at Palm Desert from an owner once. He used the rest of the week. We split the cleaning fee.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was trying to help someone do this, and Marriott did not want to give them 2 different confirmations in 2 different names.

Well that's not good news. Was one of the names the owner?

I would tell them that they can rent it for four days but still have to pay for seven. No sense jumping through hoops or discounting your price unless you are having trouble renting the week.

It's not the most popular week. He contacted me a few weeks ago and we agreed on a price for 7 nights, but he ended up not being able to get the whole week off from work. He got back to me today and asked about a 4 day rental. Since I have not had any other inquiries and I need to rent the week, I'll give him the same per night rate we agreed on last time. I was hoping To be able to rent out the other 3 nights to a TUGGER for a cheap 3 day getaway. I'll call Marriott tomorrow to check on the policy. At this point, something is better than nothing. :)

I rented 3 or 4 days at Palm Desert from an owner once. He used the rest of the week. We split the cleaning fee.

Thanks. I'll ask about that when I call Marriott.

Cheers!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a full week in Palm Desert up for rent. I have a received a request from a person to rent just 4 days. Could I rent him the 4 days and then still rent out the other 3 days?

This is not a points reservation. It is my deeded week.

Cheers!
Doesn't Marriott have some sort of split-week option? (Perhaps this is only at some Marriott resorts?)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Doesn't Marriott have some sort of split-week option? (Perhaps this is only at some Marriott resorts?)

This could be an option depending on what days the current renter wants.

Here is a link to the PDF that shows the resorts with split week options and also shows the checkin days for each segment. For the Palm Desert resorts it appears that the four day segment is a Monday through Friday and the three day segment is Friday through Monday. There is an $80 fee to use this option and it is based on availability and limits, so while the OP has a week reserved, it may not be possible to split it.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

How did you work out the charging privileges? Did Marriott allow each of you to leave a credit card on file for only the days you were there?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
How did you work out the charging privileges? Did Marriott allow each of you to leave a credit card on file for only the days you were there?

I think as long as one person is the owner, it is easier. When one person checks out they settle their account to the credit card on file. When the other person arrives they provide their credit card for the future charges. My guess is that this is more easily accomplished if both people are at the front desk at checkout/checkin.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Well that's not good news. Was one of the names the owner?

No - he needed 2 guests confirmations, and although Marriott would make a note of it on the Resv., they didn't want to issue confirmations.

Last edited:

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update

I made a few phone calls. Talked with one VOA. She said I could do it. One confirmation number and 3 names on the reservation (mine and the 2 renters). Then I called the resort directly. Same answer. Each guest would have to check in with picture id and credit card. Talked to another VOA. Same answer, although she did point out the housekeeping issue which I had not considered.

Now I just need to decide if I want to try and get another renter for the other 3 days, or just charge a bit more to the renter I have. He's the only one who has responded to my ads for this particular week and I don't want to scare him off. I can't use the week and it's doubtful I can use an exchange.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Cheers!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems that the current renter will be breaking the week in to three possible reservations? Meaning you will have one day and two days on the ends of their stay. If that is the case it will be difficult to rent one or two nights. If you are happy with what you can get from this renter, then go for it and don't expect to rent the other two segments.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
...or it could be a lock off and a split week. I own at one resort (not marriott) that will let you lock off or break the week into a 3 night/4 night reservation but won't let you do both.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that the current renter will be breaking the week in to three possible reservations? Meaning you will have one day and two days on the ends of their stay. If that is the case it will be difficult to rent one or two nights. If you are happy with what you can get from this renter, then go for it and don't expect to rent the other two segments.

No, my name stays on the reservation because I own the week. I won't be using any of the nights. Fortunately the guy who wants the 4 nights wants the first 4 of the week ( Check-in Sat., check out Wed. morning), so that leaves me 3 consecutive nights at the end to rent if I so choose (check-in Wed, check out Sat.). I still haven't decided. Between the housekeeping charge and the fact I have only had 1 inquiry, I'm leaning toward charging him a bit more than $100/night (our original agreement when he wanted the full week).

Cheers!

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why get your renter a guest reservation? Just put his name next to yours and you can both check in and assure him you will not be doing so. Funtime

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why get your renter a guest reservation? Just put his name next to yours and you can both check in and assure him you will not be doing so. Funtime

With Marriott, when you rent your week to someone else, as the owner, your name is still on the reservation. That way they know who to come after if the renter ends up being a deadbeat. :) You just call a VOA and have them add the renter's name to the reservation.

In my case, in order to rent 4 nights to one person and 3 nights to another person, all 3 names will be on the reservation. There is only one confirmation number. I will have to trust that both renters play fairly and check-in and out when they say they will.

Denise: In your case it seems the problem is your friend wants 2 different confirmation numbers for the same week. You may have to see if you can do the split week option for 7 consecutive nights. That way you'd get 2 confirmation numbers. Normally the split week option is used with 4 nights in one week and 3 nights some other week and they are set nights, but they may let you do it. You never know.

I have agreed with renter #1 on $100/night (that was our agreement when he wanted all 7 nights). I'm still mulling over whether or not I'll try for another renter for the other 3 nights. Seems like too many things could go wrong.

Cheers!

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another Update

The guy who wanted to rent my unit for 4 nights flaked out on me again. He flaked out the first time a few weeks ago when he wanted the whole 7 nights.

As fate would have it, I received an offer for the entire week yesterday via my Craigslist ad just 2 hours after I posted the unit for rent in the Last Minute section on TUG. They paid the deposit, reservation is in their name, and I'm awaiting the check and signed rental agreement. Life is good, so far. ;)

I will say the Last Minute section got more hits than my listing in the regular marketplace. Price was the same.

Cheers!