• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting out your Maui Ocean Club unit

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
The presenter at this morning's webinar confirmed that there IS a special occupancy tax for units renter to third parties in Hawaii. The property does NOT collect these taxes, only the traditional occupancy tax. This extra tax is to be paid by the person renting, whether secured by weeks or points. Collection from the person renting is up to the owner. These taxes are to be paid quarterly. The resort sent emails late last year to this effect, but owners/points people don't know of this requirement, or are ignoring it. To each their own, but the reported fine for ignoring this is significant. Just food for thought. If you search TUG, someone has posted the brochure from the state that covers this rule.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no way they can monitor individual owners so I think Redweek, AirBnb and the like will start collecting this tax and sending it to the state. It's a disgrace that we spend so much to purchase our weeks and all they do is tax the heck out of the poor TS owner because we're an easy target.

ThomasWentz

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Purchase in Progress!
I recently rented a week at Maui Ocean Club on VRBO and they didn't add any taxes that I could see.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This tax won't affect your Timeshare unless and until you rent it out, and then it is sketchy at best as how to monitor who is actually occupying your Villa at anytime.

I understand that the State of Hawaii depends on the travel industry as a "gravy train", but they should come up with another way to generate revenue other than taking advantage of the tourist industry (and primarily affecting folks from outside the State).

Maybe a one cent gasoline tax across the board would generate a lot more money and won't only affect the tourists. Seems to be a much fairer way to generate revenue without placing a paperwork burden on those who rent out their properties.

Just me venting........

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Hawaii Governor vetoed the bill last year that would have required VRBO/AirB&B to collect the TAT (10.25%) and GET (4% Maui) on rentals at time of rental. Even if you pay both taxes, if you don't break them out as +Costs over the rental, you pay it on the gross, before any fees and commissions, so your net is even less.

It would level the playing field a bit if they required reporting and payment by the brokers, but would probably just increase their commissions/fees to accommodate the overhead.

That said, the penalties are now significant, if you attract their attention.