• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting Out Unit Booked with Restricted StarOptions

komosatp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone remind me of the rules of renting out units that are booked with StarOptions? I vaguely recall that you’re not allowed to do so, but the rule is never enforced. Are the rules any different for restricted options?

I recall there was a brouhaha when Vistana tried to implement a fee for changing the names on a reservation, which tacitly acknowledges that people do rent units booked with options. I know they later rescinded that policy for home resort bookings, but did they do so for StarOptions bookings?

I was supposed to check-in to Harborside on April 4, so it looks like I’ll have restricted options to use in 2020. I might try renting out, though I know that’s a long shot for any in demand period. I might just book a free trip for a friend, but I’m not even sure if that’s an option.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I assume the rules for restricted options are the same as for regular. You can rent it only if you own an underlying week at that resort in the same season.

komosatp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume the rules for restricted options are the same as for regular. You can rent it only if you own an underlying week at that resort in the same season.
Thanks.

Do you happen to recall specifically what is prohibited? I have a sister in Orlando that could easily fly to Nassau on short notice. She’s family and I wouldn't be ‘renting‘ it to her, but she’s not on my deed and the reservation would be outside of my home season if she went this fall. I just spent a good 30 minutes looking for the rules on the Vistana website, but I didn’t find the prohibition language.

i did find the section that has the third part rental fee schedule, and the rental language below, but nowhere clarifies the rules outside of the home resort period.

Vistana™ Signature Experiences does not offer an Owner rental program at any of its villa resorts. However, as an Owner, you may reserve a Vacation Period at your Home Resort and arrange a private third-party rental. All renters must comply with the rules and regulations of your Home Resort, and as the Owner, you will be responsible for the acts or omissions of your renter and their guests. Once you have rented your Home Resort Vacation Period, please notify Owner Services of the arriving guest name to ensure their access to your reservation at check-in. Owners should be current in all fees, including maintenance fees and taxes, associated with ownership prior to the arrival date. To ensure your guest a seamless check-in, please pay all fees in advance, as guests will not be allowed to check in until all fees are paid. If additional housekeeping fees are assessed on the reservation, your guest will be responsible for paying these fees at check-out if you have not settled the fees with the resort prior to your guest’s departure (see confirmation to determine if additional housekeeping fees are assessed).

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Do you happen to recall specifically what is prohibited? I have a sister in Orlando that could easily fly to Nassau on short notice. She’s family and I wouldn't be ‘renting‘ it to her, but she’s not on my deed and the reservation would be outside of my home season if she went this fall. I just spent a good 30 minutes looking for the rules on the Vistana website, but I didn’t find the prohibition language.

i did find the section that has the third part rental fee schedule, and the rental language below, but nowhere clarifies the rules outside of the home resort period.

Vistana Signature Experiences does not offer an Owner rental program at any of its villa resorts. However, as an Owner, you may reserve a Vacation Period at your Home Resort and arrange a private third-party rental. All renters must comply with the rules and regulations of your Home Resort, and as the Owner, you will be responsible for the acts or omissions of your renter and their guests. Once you have rented your Home Resort Vacation Period, please notify Owner Services of the arriving guest name to ensure their access to your reservation at check-in. Owners should be current in all fees, including maintenance fees and taxes, associated with ownership prior to the arrival date. To ensure your guest a seamless check-in, please pay all fees in advance, as guests will not be allowed to check in until all fees are paid. If additional housekeeping fees are assessed on the reservation, your guest will be responsible for paying these fees at check-out if you have not settled the fees with the resort prior to your guest’s departure (see confirmation to determine if additional housekeeping fees are assessed).
Specifically permitted.

They were trying to crack down on people using cheap, say WKV SO to make HRA or WSJ bookings on SO and arbitrage the rental premium vs their home resort.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Correct. You can “give away” your usage to anyone you want, as long as it’s not a rental.