• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting out II getaway weeks via II?

Fallenone

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club Points
Hello everyone,

My family just got into MVC last Dec and by doing so we're also enrolled with II of course. I wasn't planning on using II for this year as we've already planned our vacations out. However, today I got a call from II telling me that they can help me renting out the getaway weeks I could have with II. I would need to pay them $399/week and they will take care of it from there. They estimate the rent can be about $1800-$2100/week. There will be no fee or taxes other than the $399/week I pay and they will provide 1099 for tax reporting on the profit. They also said they can guarantee the rental will be rented, it's just a matter of price they rent and I will have the final say if I want to rent it eventually. They are also running a promotion that by activating 6 weeks, they will reduce the cost to $300/week.

Does anyone have experience with this? I thought this is too good to be true. What am I not told? What are the catches? Thanks in advance!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Two problems: (1) your agreement with II prohibits you from renting Getaway weeks, and (2) the call was not from II; it was an from imposter. The imposter's goal is to get you to pre-pay their fee. You will be out $1,800 (6 weeks x $300) if you proceed.

Think about it -- if II could rent out II weeks for those prices, they wouldn't need you.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a scam, it's not actually II calling. Of course they want the $399 up front. Run!!!

Fallenone

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club Points
Thank you guys! I thought it was too good to be true but didn't expect imposters would be this bold.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only are they this bold....we are getting MORE AND MORE reports of this on TUG lately...

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My family just got into MVC last Dec and by doing so we're also enrolled with II of course. I wasn't planning on using II for this year as we've already planned our vacations out. However, today I got a call from II telling me that they can help me renting out the getaway weeks I could have with II. I would need to pay them $399/week and they will take care of it from there. They estimate the rent can be about $1800-$2100/week. There will be no fee or taxes other than the $399/week I pay and they will provide 1099 for tax reporting on the profit. They also said they can guarantee the rental will be rented, it's just a matter of price they rent and I will have the final say if I want to rent it eventually. They are also running a promotion that by activating 6 weeks, they will reduce the cost to $300/week.

Does anyone have experience with this? I thought this is too good to be true. What am I not told? What are the catches? Thanks in advance!

The scammers are licking their chops. Run quick, run fast! SCAM.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Wyndham
Tahiti Village
Hello everyone,

It's never your Resort calling you or the exchange companies like RCI or interval that would be calling regarding renting. It's just marketing and advertising where they charge you a marketing fee and they list your property on a website. There really is no guarantee with any company whether or not you're going to successfully have your property rented but they guarantee advertising so it's the same as if you put your car in the local AutoTrader accept cars are necessary pieces of deeded ownership and people actually need those. Also if someone can adjust or modify the activation fees for promotional weeks that are advertised as 399 through interval or RCI that's probably an illegitimate company. Also just to correct someone else's response there is absolutely nothing in your ownership or your contract with your Resort or your Exchange company stating that you're not allowed to rent your property out and most vacation weeks come with a guest pass for the purpose of allowing someone else to utilize it. If you want to advertise your weeks for rental you should just go to redweek.com simply because it is endorsed by resorts and its only 40 bucks and they are a well-known reputable website and have a lot of traffic driven there so you will have a lot more success in renting.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
It's never your Resort calling you or the exchange companies like RCI or interval that would be calling regarding renting. It's just marketing and advertising where they charge you a marketing fee and they list your property on a website. There really is no guarantee with any company whether or not you're going to successfully have your property rented but they guarantee advertising so it's the same as if you put your car in the local AutoTrader accept cars are necessary pieces of deeded ownership and people actually need those. Also if someone can adjust or modify the activation fees for promotional weeks that are advertised as 399 through interval or RCI that's probably an illegitimate company. Also just to correct someone else's response there is absolutely nothing in your ownership or your contract with your Resort or your Exchange company stating that you're not allowed to rent your property out and most vacation weeks come with a guest pass for the purpose of allowing someone else to utilize it. If you want to advertise your weeks for rental you should just go to redweek.com simply because it is endorsed by resorts and its only 40 bucks and they are a well-known reputable website and have a lot of traffic driven there so you will have a lot more success in renting.

You registered seven minutes ago to post that incorrect statement. Interesting. :unsure:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Wyndham
Tahiti Village
You registered seven minutes ago to post that incorrect statement. Interesting. :unsure:
I think you misspelled the word correct. I also didn't log on here specifically to respond inquiring about something else but I happened to see their questions and wanted to respond to be helpful. Are you like the tug enrollment police?

Last edited by a moderator:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)

From the Interval International Ts & Cs:

“Membership in II may be used only for personal and noncommercial purposes. Any other use of membership benefits may result in the suspension or termination of a Member’s membership and/or exchange privileges, as well as cancellation of any existing Confirmations and loss of fees associated with all II memberships and Confirmations held by such Member.”

So, no, you aren't allowed to rent out an Interval week. Sure I suppose you could do it just don't get caught. Here's a really good discussion on it:

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am now getting one or two of those calls per week. I continue to block each number, but they continue to generate new ones.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Wyndham
Tahiti Village
From the Interval International Ts & Cs:

“Membership in II may be used only for personal and noncommercial purposes. Any other use of membership benefits may result in the suspension or termination of a Member’s membership and/or exchange privileges, as well as cancellation of any existing Confirmations and loss of fees associated with all II memberships and Confirmations held by such Member.”

So, no, you aren't allowed to rent out an Interval week. Sure I suppose you could do it just don't get caught. Here's a really good discussion on it:

Nothing more than a rule designed to deter customers from scams. They have never cancelled or banned a single account for that and there's no way for them to determine whether or not someone is renting for profit unless they ask the guests directly which is unprofessional.Third party advertisers are not authorized to rent so it would just appear as if that owner is booking time for a friend or a relative under the refer-a-friend program.

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
I am now getting one or two of those calls per week. I continue to block each number, but they continue to generate new ones.
Maybe they can get you a new warranty for your car, or refinance your student loans, during the same calls!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Think about it -- if II could rent out II weeks for those prices, they wouldn't need you.
This is the part that always shocks me, that people don't grasp this simple concept. Why would II put you in the middle to rent out weeks?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am also not sure that Redweek is endorsed by the resorts.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It's never your Resort calling you or the exchange companies like RCI or interval that would be calling regarding renting. It's just marketing and advertising where they charge you a marketing fee and they list your property on a website. There really is no guarantee with any company whether or not you're going to successfully have your property rented but they guarantee advertising so it's the same as if you put your car in the local AutoTrader accept cars are necessary pieces of deeded ownership and people actually need those. Also if someone can adjust or modify the activation fees for promotional weeks that are advertised as 399 through interval or RCI that's probably an illegitimate company.

I agree with what's bolded - the exchange companies do not call owners looking for exchange inventory to rent. But there are scam companies who claim to be II when they call you and ask if you want to rent II exchanges. Those calls are always a scam, and there are plenty of posts/threads on TUG to that effect.

... Also just to correct someone else's response there is absolutely nothing in your ownership or your contract with your Resort or your Exchange company stating that you're not allowed to rent your property out and most vacation weeks come with a guest pass for the purpose of allowing someone else to utilize it.
Nothing more than a rule designed to deter customers from scams. They have never cancelled or banned a single account for that and there's no way for them to determine whether or not someone is renting for profit unless they ask the guests directly which is unprofessional.Third party advertisers are not authorized to rent so it would just appear as if that owner is booking time for a friend or a relative under the refer-a-friend program.

It's true, Marriott allows owners to rent out intervals booked using owned Weeks or DC Points. But it's NOT true that II allows rentals of II intervals, and the language in the II T&C's has already been posted in this thread. Over the years a number of people have posted to TUG their experience with II suspending their accounts because of rental activity found by II. Had those II members not ceased their rental activity then their accounts would have been cancelled or banned.

... If you want to advertise your weeks for rental you should just go to redweek.com simply because it is endorsed by resorts and its only 40 bucks and they are a well-known reputable website and have a lot of traffic driven there so you will have a lot more success in renting.

It is not a good idea to do this with II intervals. Anybody who decides to take the risk will have to lie to Redweek to get past their T&C's, if this TUG post from yesterday is a true representation of a new addition to Redweek's registration process: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/last-e-plus-trade.320867/#post-2624170

I think you misspelled the word correct. I also didn't log on here specifically to respond inquiring about something else but I happened to see their questions and wanted to respond to be helpful. Are you like the tug enrollment police?

TUG doesn't have police. It has moderators. The TUGger you sarcastically called the TUG police is not a moderator but I am. As the moderator of the Marriott forum I want to say hello and welcome to TUG, and to ask that you please read the TUG Rules as they relate to courtesy. I also find it curious that your User Name appears to suggest that you may use timeshares as a profit-making venture and your first posts suggest that people should ignore II's and Redweek's rules about renting, so you might want to pay particular attention to the TUG Rules about advertising, too.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
so it's the same as if you put your car in the local AutoTrader accept cars are necessary pieces of deeded ownership and people actually need those.

Also just to correct someone else's response there is absolutely nothing in your ownership or your contract with your Resort or your Exchange company stating that you're not allowed to rent your property out

If you want to advertise your weeks for rental you should just go to redweek.com simply because it is endorsed by resorts and its only 40 bucks and they are a well-known reputable website and have a lot of traffic driven there so you will have a lot more success in renting.

I disagree with a few of your statements.

#1. Advertising with 98% of the timeshare marketing companies is not like advertising on Auto Trader. It is more like advertising on “Tube Socks Living” magazine. These websites main focus is not timeshare listings but rather “sign up with us to advertise your timeshare”. All the glitz with their website is to just collect the upfront fee. If a potential buyer happens to stumble upon their obscure website they will have a very hard time even finding a timeshare to inquire about.

#2. As others have pointed out it is absolutely against II and RCI rules to rent out their getaways.

#3. Redweek is not endorsed by the resorts.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For II that would be completely incorrect. Even for resort systems there are examples where certain companies have restricted or banned accounts such as limiting to reservations ONLY in the owners name. I can think of several examples with DVC and Bluegreen. For II I am specifically aware of several examples where they have restricted accounts including one posted in this thread and I am aware of one person who had their membership revoked due to a repeat offense. Certainly renting is allowed with most systems but be aware that commercial and not for profit are not the same thing. I am not aware of any company that has ever tried to determine the amount of profit in such a situation. In every case I'm aware of it's based on volume and patterns. So you could rent for a loss but do so a lot and be afoul of all of the ones I'm aware of including MVC and DVC. And the POS for DVC specifically allows renting, just not a pattern of commercial use which they've defined as 20 or more in a year or having a commercial website (among other variables).

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
We've had three or four calls like this over the last couple of weeks. The first said he worked for "Vacation Property Rentals" after I realised he didn't work for Marriott or II.
I don't exchange enough to have all the ins and outs memorised and I've never used Getaways or ACs, he was quite persuasive but it just didn't sound right and I noticed the tone changed when I hesitated :)

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you just search for example either here on TUG or in some of the MVC Owner facebook groups, you will find specific references to where Interval have cancelled bookings and suspended memberships where they have been able to clearly identify rentals of exchanges / getaways for commercial gain.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Wyndham
Tahiti Village
I agree with what's bolded - the exchange companies do not call owners looking for exchange inventory to rent. But there are scam companies who claim to be II when they call you and ask if you want to rent II exchanges. Those calls are always a scam, and there are plenty of posts/threads on TUG to that effect.

It's true, Marriott allows owners to rent out intervals booked using owned Weeks or DC Points. But it's NOT true that II allows rentals of II intervals, and the language in the II T&C's has already been posted in this thread. Over the years a number of people have posted to TUG their experience with II suspending their accounts because of rental activity found by II. Had those II members not ceased their rental activity then their accounts would have been cancelled or banned.

It is not a good idea to do this with II intervals. Anybody who decides to take the risk will have to lie to Redweek to get past their T&C's, if this TUG post from yesterday is a true representation of a new addition to Redweek's registration process: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/last-e-plus-trade.320867/#post-2624170

TUG doesn't have police. It has moderators. The TUGger you sarcastically called the TUG police is not a moderator but I am. As the moderator of the Marriott forum I want to say hello and welcome to TUG, and to ask that you please read the TUG Rules as they relate to courtesy. I also find it curious that your User Name appears to suggest that you may use timeshares as a profit-making venture and your first posts suggest that people should ignore II's and Redweek's rules about renting, so you might want to pay particular attention to the TUG Rules about advertising, too.
Thanks for the warm invite
Just to clarify the confusion, in no way am I suggesting anyone pay any company to advertise weeks on false promises, never did I recommend to anyone to dismiss or disregard club or resort rules nor do I profit from the resort industry. I spoke facts and the truth was the main factor, not everyone likes facts but if were going to be discussing the TUG community rules and respect I think anyone would agree your throwing a lot of accusations based off a profile name and common knowledge all owners would have access to online or in their membership handbook. Do have a good day Sir.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke facts and the truth was the main factor

Except, this is not the case as has been pointed out. Let's be a little more clear on why you are wrong. II terms and conditions, under general exchange procedures and priorities, #16 states (I bolded the key words): "
Confirmations and their associated Host Accommodations, including,
without limitation, those made available as part of the Getaway
program, may be used only for personal and noncommercial
purposes. Members are expressly prohibited from exchanging or renting
the Host Accommodations, including, but not limited to, offering the Host
Accommodations for sale or rent to third parties through the use of a Guest
Certificate or otherwise."

Also, your statement "They have never cancelled or banned a single account for that" is incorrect, here's one and there are others if you search around:

People are "strong" on language with this post as it's clearly wrong (your facts) and we do not want to see someone lose their account. It's out of concern for others. In general, Tug is a pretty welcoming place and there are a lot of people here who know a lot of obscure facts.

WorldTraveler1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a Certified Fraud Specialist. I have received the same call. I have no idea how they knew that I had 2 unused bonus weeks. Maybe they are just guessing.

Never pay for anything up front from anyone trying to market or rent any of your own weeks. List them for sale on tug or redweek if you in fact own the week.

Also, if you receive calls from any place claiming you have an unused voucher, or any place claiming that because of your past travels with Hilton, Marriott, etc you are being given a special travel package, beware. Some places are legit like monster group and others blow smoke up your butt and after the receision date has passed you realize that you have garbage.

If you like all inclusive resorts but don't like the price, join the club. In my opinion it is utterly worthless to trade your week through II for a resort that has mandatory $150 per person per night all inclusive fees. Most of them you can 4 night preview packages for less than $400 total for all 4 nights. What's the catch, well you have to sit through a timeshare/ travel club presentation. I have done this recently and it was pretty painless. I just tell them that I own 9 marriott and vistana timeshares and I have more than I need. I also say I don't drink and am fat already and the last thing I need is to spend a lot of money on a travel club that essentially will give you discount rates for things I would never pay 50% off for. I also tell them that if they can put everything they say in writing and document all of their promises, then maybe I would consider it. When they tell me to trust them, I tell them that I don't even trust my relatives so what would make me trust them. They move onto the next sucker and I enjoy my 4 night all inclusive getaway for myself and my wife (with the option to bring 2 kids for no additional charge) for only $50 per adult per night including all resort fees and taxes. For that price I'll sit through a supposed 90 - 120 minute breakfast and presentation (it's actually 3 hours but when you eliminate the breakfast time they are trying to build up rapor with you, you've only wasted 2 hours of your time for a $200 per night discount vs trading your week through II and paying the $150 per day per adult all inclusive fees).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Also, your statement "They have never cancelled or banned a single account for that" is incorrect, here's one and there are others if you search around:

+1 I personally know an II member who got caught renting exchanges, but kept doing it, and got caught again, and his Interval Acct was permanently closed. And a number of other people have also posted on TUG who had the same experience of being contacted by II becasue they were renting exchanges, or II thought they were. Sometime II spots a suspicious Ad on a website, and investigates. Sometimes a renter innocently calls II to "confirm" their rental, and sometime a savvy timeshare owner sees the suspicious Ad and reports the Ad to II.

There is a pattern that we see over and over with newbies who post on TUG out of the blue just to disagree with a post about buying/selling/renting timeshares. Those posters almost always have a financial motive. First of all, he/she had to do a search to find this topic - why? VacayEntrepeneur (which they spelled wrong) is defending renting exchanges - so I would guess that he/she rents exchanges. YMMV

Entrepreneur
noun: entrepreneur; plural noun: entrepreneurs
a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.

Last edited: