• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2018] Renting my FL Club Grand Vista 3 Bed - Best Option

Can I get over $2k in rental income from my 3BR Gold GV Unit?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
This is different than my other post about maxing the value of my GV unit.

I have a gold season 3 bedroom, thought about just renting it to cover my $1800 MFs. I see a few weeks on Red week for 3 bedrooms in late May (I have a Monday to Monday option where check out is memorial day, not sure how appealing that is since Redweek ones are Sat/Sun check ins); I have lots of November availability, some Sept/Oct weeks, as well as First week of December. A few people on Redweek are offering 3 bedrooms for $2k and $2500.

Can I really get $2500 for a 3 bedroom week at Grand Vista in late May or November/Thanksgiving?

what about splitting it and reserving a 2bed and a studio, and renting out the studio for like $700 and the 2 bed for like $1400, is that reasonable? And if so, where to list? Here on TUG or maybe just Redweek/Ebay?

Or---

using my FL Club option and renting a 2 bedroom at Ocean Pointe and a studio at Beachplace or GV all on Redweek..could I get over $2k for that?
Reserving a 3bedroom at Ocean pointe in June and renting it on Redweek/Ebay? (Current rate on Marriott . com for a 3BD at Ocean Pointe is $375/night or $2600 including taxes so $2100 would be a bargain?)

Would be nice to profit a couple hundred bucks on this unit rather than try to exchange for 2 vacations, pay II fee this year, pay II upgrade fee (possibly), etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I didn't answer your Yes/No question above because I don't know.

I have a 3 BR Platinum at MGV and I've rented it out a couple of times. There have also been a couple of times I offered it for rent but wasn't able to rent it. Here's what I've learned:
1) Give renters the option of choosing the week, if you can. One time I reserved Easter week, which also coincided with April vacation week in New England, and it didn't rent. I thought for sure I would have people chomping at the bit to rent it. I eventually ended up trading that week. When I don't reserve a week first and let the renter choose a week, I have been successful.
2) I only charge ~$50 over my maintenance fee. I'm not out to make a profit, instead preferring to rent it quickly and be done with it. If you have patience and a lot of time, then go ahead and try for over $2000.
3) With RedWeek, I got a lot more interest and responses (tho I haven't had success there). Using TUG I was more successful, though didn't get many inquiries.

I don't know about locking it off and renting the 2 units separately. I figure 3 BRs are rare and hard to come by, that I would have more success. 2BRs and studios are much more plentiful on the rental market so it may be tougher. Just my opinion.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2) I only charge ~$50 over my maintenance fee. I'm not out to make a profit, instead preferring to rent it quickly and be done with it. If you have patience and a lot of time, then go ahead and try for over $2000.
3) With RedWeek, I got a lot more interest and responses (tho I haven't had success there). Using TUG I was more successful, though didn't get many inquiries.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Some interesting points here. I'd rather use TUG so I'm happy to hear that and will save me Redweek fees for now.
$50 over MF is $1900 so $2k isn't that out of the ordinary, especially since its $350-$400/night for a 3BR there (+Taxes).

still debating between renting vs doing 2-3 exchanges out of the 3br using FL club or just II deposits/exchanges. (FL Club my GV studio to a Beachplace Studio and then my GV 2 bedroom to a FL Club 2 Bedroom at OceanPoint in June). I don't know, so many options but I love all the support we get on these boards!

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I rented my Grande Vista Gold 2 br this past Thanksgiving for $1500. ymmv

When did you book the week and then how long did it take to find a renter? I'd be real happy with that and still have my studio to trade or rent out.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thank you for the prompt reply. Some interesting points here. I'd rather use TUG so I'm happy to hear that and will save me Redweek fees for now.
$50 over MF is $1900 so $2k isn't that out of the ordinary, especially since its $350-$400/night for a 3BR there (+Taxes).

Your week is gold, though, correct? Mine is platinum. Our maintenance fees are the same, though.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The answer is yes, but with the FC and not at GV. You reserve at Ocean Pointe. A summer week at Ocean Pointe in a 3BR OF absolutely rents for >$2k. You just don't have your pick of weeks but there is enough available to make it work especially if you can reserve at 7+ months.

Can you get >$2K at GV? You can, but it is not an automatic by any means.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used Vacation Candy before for my Grande Vista, but unfortunately it didn’t rent til the last minute.
David R, where did you list your Grande Vista?

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The answer is yes, but with the FC and not at GV. You reserve at Ocean Pointe. A summer week at Ocean Pointe in a 3BR OF absolutely rents for >$2k. You just don't have your pick of weeks but there is enough available to make it work especially if you can reserve at 7+ months.

Last day of May and several weeks of June are available (not into July 4th though) for my 3 Bedroom at Ocean pointe.
They can rent for $2k+? if so, where? Here or like Redweek/Ebay?

Thanks!

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update: Thank you to everyone, (especially DEAN) for your replies. Since I waited so long to book (not knowing when the calendar opened), I took Dean's idea and booked the most prime week I could for Ocean Pointe (Used my FL Club option) and just decided to get a 3Bedroom vs a studio at one, 2 bed at another, exchanging one, renting the other, etc.
So I booked it, put it on Redweek for $100 less than the next cheapest for June and rented it in 3 weeks for $2250. After Redweek fees and the $1850 MF, I 'net' about $250...so very pleased! Was worried I'd either barely break even, or have to do 2 rentals and worry about 1 vs another.

In the coming months, I'll be sure to get a better week reserved for my GV unit.

[Wanted Ad-like comment deleted.]

Thank you everyone!

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Update: Thank you to everyone, (especially DEAN) for your replies. Since I waited so long to book (not knowing when the calendar opened), I took Dean's idea and booked the most prime week I could for Ocean Pointe (Used my FL Club option) and just decided to get a 3Bedroom vs a studio at one, 2 bed at another, exchanging one, renting the other, etc.
So I booked it, put it on Redweek for $100 less than the next cheapest for June and rented it in 3 weeks for $2250. After Redweek fees and the $1850 MF, I 'net' about $250...so very pleased! Was worried I'd either barely break even, or have to do 2 rentals and worry about 1 vs another.

In the coming months, I'll be sure to get a better week reserved for my GV unit.

[Wanted Ad-like comment deleted.]

Thank you everyone!
Did you use the "Verified" option on Redweek? It looks as if those may rent more quickly, and am getting ready to list something, as we have more weeks than we have time this year. Have only rented through TUG a couple of times, so although have signed up for Redweek, just a bit hesitant to commit. Thanks! Ann

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Did you use the "Verified" option on Redweek? It looks as if those may rent more quickly, and am getting ready to list something, as we have more weeks than we have time this year. Have only rented through TUG a couple of times, so although have signed up for Redweek, just a bit hesitant to commit. Thanks! Ann

I have placed for rent 4 Marriott weeks through Redweek "Verified & Protected" and pleased with the process. You will pay $79.99 to list and $99 once it's rented. Yes it's a large take but I don't have to do anything other than change the name on the reservation. No dealing with the renter or worrying about payment. Just make sure you price your week at a competitive price.

I had to cancel an Aruba Ocean Club trip this year and decided to post it on Redweek for $3,000 "Verified & Protected" vs. redepositing the points back into my account. It rented in 10 days which will net $1,290 after maintenance and Redweek fees. It was listed along side one other week same dates, same unit size for $2,100 without the "Verified & Protected" label and is still there (they are only accepting check). As a purchaser I personally would rather rent through Redweek via credit card than deal directly with an individual. Looks like the individual who rented the Aruba week prefers this as well.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I actually didn't use the Redweek Management to list it, did it on my own. However, when it came time for payment, the tenant wanted the RedWeek payment system option, so I signed up for that ($15) and they took care of payment and the rental agreement for me. So only had to pay the basic listing fee and the $15 add-on at time of purchase. I think a total of $50 in expenses to RedWeek.

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
I have placed for rent 4 Marriott weeks through Redweek "Verified & Protected" and pleased with the process. You will pay $79.99 to list and $99 once it's rented. Yes it's a large take but I don't have to do anything other than change the name on the reservation. No dealing with the renter or worrying about payment. Just make sure you price your week at a competitive price.

I had to cancel an Aruba Ocean Club trip this year and decided to post it on Redweek for $3,000 "Verified & Protected" vs. redepositing the points back into my account. It rented in 10 days which will net $1,290 after maintenance and Redweek fees. It was listed along side one other week same dates, same unit size for $2,100 without the "Verified & Protected" label and is still there (they are only accepting check). As a purchaser I personally would rather rent through Redweek via credit card than deal directly with an individual. Looks like the individual who rented the Aruba week prefers this as well.

Good Luck
Thanks. That sounds like a great option. I read that Redweek holds the payment until after check in. If the renter wants to cancel at any point, do the Redweek people say "no cancellation" in their contract?

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I actually didn't use the Redweek Management to list it, did it on my own. However, when it came time for payment, the tenant wanted the RedWeek payment system option, so I signed up for that ($15) and they took care of payment and the rental agreement for me. So only had to pay the basic listing fee and the $15 add-on at time of purchase. I think a total of $50 in expenses to RedWeek.

Thanks! That's the part that would be great to be handled by someone else. I have used PayPal for payment the only time I have rented, and it is the same person and same property, so have a bit of a history with them. Worked well, but for a totally unknown renter, Redweek would inspire more confidence on both ends.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. That sounds like a great option. I read that Redweek holds the payment until after check in. If the renter wants to cancel at any point, do the Redweek people say "no cancellation" in their contract?

My rental is for Mid June. If they cancel now or next month, I get $1100. If they cancel in April or later, I get the full amount :)

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Can you get >$2K at GV? You can, but it is not an automatic by any means.
Hey everyone -another question for the Tug people. Since I'm not an interval member, I don't know the value rating of week to week.

I thought about breaking up my GV FL club 3 bedroom and grabbing a 2 bedroom Legends Edge (panama city) in February and maybe a studio at Grande Vista over Labor Day or Memorial Day week. Its still too early to grab a 3 bedroom at Ocean Pointe or a 2bedroom at Beachplace Towers.

What do you think of that strategy? Is there value in a february 2 bedroom in legends edge or its still too cold and no one wants it?

Also - what's a better week to book and deposit/swap for a 3bedroom grande vista - Labor Day week or Memorial day week prior (with a Memorial day or Sunday before check out?)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone -another question for the Tug people. Since I'm not an interval member, I don't know the value rating of week to week.

I thought about breaking up my GV FL club 3 bedroom and grabbing a 2 bedroom Legends Edge (panama city) in February and maybe a studio at Grande Vista over Labor Day or Memorial Day week. Its still too early to grab a 3 bedroom at Ocean Pointe or a 2bedroom at Beachplace Towers.

What do you think of that strategy? Is there value in a february 2 bedroom in legends edge or its still too cold and no one wants it?

Also - what's a better week to book and deposit/swap for a 3bedroom grande vista - Labor Day week or Memorial day week prior (with a Memorial day or Sunday before check out?)
You can get to the II resort directory and the TDI charts not being a member if that helps. I'd probably try to get either week 47 or 50 at GV then change to a mid summer week at OP if available. I would not fool with LE for a gold week. As for getting the 3 BR, that might be tough but all you can do is try. Others may have more direct experience trading there for the 3 BR.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can get to the II resort directory and the TDI charts not being a member if that helps. I'd probably try to get either week 47 or 50 at GV then change to a mid summer week at OP if available. I would not fool with LE for a gold week. As for getting the 3 BR, that might be tough but all you can do is try. Others may have more direct experience trading there for the 3 BR.
How do I book a Week at Grande Vista only to change to Ocean Point later if I'm not using Interval? Are you saying book something today so I have it and then in January when I have access to June, cancel it and re-book at whatever is open at Ocean Pointe?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do I book a Week at Grande Vista only to change to Ocean Point later if I'm not using Interval? Are you saying book something today so I have it and then in January when I have access to June, cancel it and re-book at whatever is open at Ocean Pointe?
Yes you can always book now then later cancel and book something else. If not enrolled, there will be a change/cancelation fee. For rental I think it's worth the additional cost between the 2. Or you could just wait and if OP is not available, then book GV.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes you can always book now then later cancel and book something else. If not enrolled, there will be a change/cancelation fee. For rental I think it's worth the additional cost between the 2. Or you could just wait and if OP is not available, then book GV.

Thanks again for members like Dean - this is now the 3rd year in a row I've rented a week at OceanPointe with my GV FLorida club and then rented the Oceanpointe week on Redweek for more than my MF. This year I got a little desperate and took a $50 profit , but last year I made $500 and the year before I made $275. I only paid $2k for the 3Bed Gold GV FL club unit so I'm almost half way to recouping my investment. MF went up to $1900 though so its eating into my profit.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
Thanks again for members like Dean - this is now the 3rd year in a row I've rented a week at OceanPointe with my GV FLorida club and then rented the Oceanpointe week on Redweek for more than my MF. This year I got a little desperate and took a $50 profit , but last year I made $500 and the year before I made $275. I only paid $2k for the 3Bed Gold GV FL club unit so I'm almost half way to recouping my investment. MF went up to $1900 though so its eating into my profit.
What were your dates and was it a 3 bed or 2?

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What were your dates and was it a 3 bed or 2?
3 bedroom which gives you oceanfront there. (at least it has always for me).

Mid June, Saturday check in this time around. Last year was a Friday..

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
3 bedroom which gives you oceanfront there. (at least it has always for me).

Mid June, Saturday check in this time around. Last year was a Friday..
I'm trying to rent a 2br OF at Oceana Palms for the same time. No takers yet, but the good news is I have less competition now.;)

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm trying to rent a 2br OF at Oceana Palms for the same time. No takers yet, but the good news is I have less competition now.;)
Oceana Palms more desirable than Ocean Pointe - you should have much less competition there. With mine being a 3BR, it appeals to a lot more people so I'm able to get a premium on my rentals vs owning a 2 bedroom. Dean once told me years ago to get a 3 BR for trading and its paid off thus far :)