• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting DVC villa

starzim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairway Villas
Grand Chateau
Aruba Ocean Club
Grand Vista
Looking to go to Disney next year and stay on property, where/wht is the best source for DVC rentals?

Thanks!

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to go to Disney next year and stay on property, where/wht is the best source for DVC rentals?

Thanks!
If you are fine with either OKW or SSR and can fit in a 1 bedroom it is hard to beat an RCI exchange (if you have RCI and a cost effective means to trade in).

There are plenty of rental sites out there that seem well respected.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
In addition to the rental agencies, there is also the rent/trade board on DISboards https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/. Just be careful there - if you post on a thread that you’re interested in renting from that person, and someone else contacts you offering to rent to you, ignore them. They may be a scammer. Deal only with the person who posted on DISboards.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
In addition to the rental agencies, there is also the rent/trade board on DISboards https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/. Just be careful there - if you post on a thread that you’re interested in renting from that person, and someone else contacts you offering to rent to you, ignore them. They may be a scammer. Deal only with the person who posted on DISboards.
Whenever, I rent my DVC points I always use Disboards. Find an owner that will work with you if you have to postpone (cancelling is another story) your reservation, also find someone with a use year that doesn't expire soon. This way if you have to postpone your reservation you may have a few months to work with in finding another date.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Agreed if you can find an owner who will put in contract “will rebook based upon available rooms thru xxx date.” Not easy to find, so might take a number of offers 1st. But worth it if you need to canx. As an owner, I will not refund or rerent, but I am willing to rebook.

BK2019

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Saratoga Springs
HGVC Paradise
You can also use the link below to check availability and how many points a reservation will take.

cfabar1

Reaction score
Is renting a good way to try out for the first time? Is there the option to visit with a discounted rate like how Hilton Grand Vacations does? I'd love to buy, but have never stayed at a DVC property and would want to go first to see if it is as magical as I imagine it being.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Is there the option to visit with a discounted rate like how Hilton Grand Vacations does?

Nope. Disney doesn't need to do anything with any special value to get people to come see their properties.

Yes, renting is a good way to try it out. Your other option is an RCI trade, which will most likely be for Disney's Saratoga Springs or Old Key West.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
keep in mind, renting is usually a final trasnx. As many (sadly) found out with Covid--no cancellations, so out the full amount without any options.

cfabar1

Reaction score
keep in mind, renting is usually a final trasnx. As many (sadly) found out with Covid--no cancellations, so out the full amount without any options.

Would I be better served just booking on my own? I’m looking at Aulani and HHI as being my home resort. I find HHI availability VERY hard to find from Disney... I also hope their resort restaurant options are better than Vero Beach, which is quite limited for a hotel commanding such high rates....

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Would I be better served just booking on my own? I’m looking at Aulani and HHI as being my home resort. I find HHI availability VERY hard to find from Disney... I also hope their resort restaurant options are better than Vero Beach, which is quite limited for a hotel commanding such high rates....
For the foreseeable future I would say that booking directly through Disney is better than renting. Disney’s cancellation policies are much more flexible than renting can be. There’s a glut of points for rent on the market right now, so prices are low, but with uncertainties about travel I’d rather have an easily cancelable reservation. And Disney is offering some very competitive discounts as well.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Personally, if you're thinking of HHI, I'd go and stay at a nonDVC hotel or condo for a vacation and walk or and take a good look at DVC HHI. It's easy to walk over from shelter cove shopping area where there's plenty of parking. You can get a look at the pool and layout of the resort and also order food from the snack bar. There's no "fine dining" or even a sit down restaurant (except some seating outside), but there are plenty of great places on HHI--too many to list! You can also book for a few days directly via Disney. HHI is very different from WDW or Hawaii, so I'd want to stay on HHI for at least 3+ days (a week is ideal) to get the vibe of HHI and see if that's where I wanted to vacation regularly). We've been going for 10 years and really love it, but some want to be closer to the beach.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for HI and HHI then there are a ton of non DVC options as well. Certainly Aulani is great but there are other good choices as well. For HHI, IMO, there are better resort options that are non DVC. For HHI there is not a formal restaurant on property but there are several within walking distance and many more a short car ride away.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I happen to love Hilton Head's DVC Resort. But it is not a great place for kids In my humble opinion. The pool at the resort is very small and the one at the beach is a drive or a bus ride away. For adults who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of Hilton Head I recommend the DVC Hilton Head Island Resort.I also own at Marriott's Surf Club which is ON the BEACH. This is a much better choice than the Disney Resort for families.

As far as Aulani. Its okay but it is crowded. Very crowded. My choice, and I have made it several times, is Marriott's Ko Olina Resort which is down the block from Aulani. The rooms are much bigger and the facilities are spread out more.

TAS1

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

I have up to 340 points and many references, I use contract and will let you rebook thru Nov. 30th when points expire.