• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting DVC points and adding dining plan

Hemlock65

Reaction score
I’ve rented DVC points several times and have asked the owner to add the dining plan twice with no issues. If you rent your points to a stranger, are you willing to add the dining plan? Just curious because a friend is renting points and the owner advised her that he is not willing to add dining.

chiefcav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here. I'm happy to add the dining plan as long as there's no risk to me (so either with cash upfront or the guest's Disney gift cards, etc.). I can't fathom why someone wouldn't do this if asked.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, done it many times. Is the owner unwilling to do it or would they do so with payment up front? They may be concerned about the risk of not getting paid. Was this done privately or through a broker, I think it's more complicated if done through a broker.

Hemlock65

Reaction score
My friend is renting points from a board similar to this, but the owner disclosed in their listing that they were not willing to add the dining plan. I was just curious if this was a common issue, because I am hoping to rent points and add the dining plan for an upcoming trip. I have rented DVC points several points and usually the owner asks for payment up front, although one owner did add me to a conference call with member services where I gave MS my credit card details with that owner listening in (it was a very trusted owner).

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
My friend is renting points from a board similar to this, but the owner disclosed in their listing that they were not willing to add the dining plan. I was just curious if this was a common issue, because I am hoping to rent points and add the dining plan for an upcoming trip. I have rented DVC points several points and usually the owner asks for payment up front, although one owner did add me to a conference call with member services where I gave MS my credit card details with that owner listening in (it was a very trusted owner).
If the owner states in the listing that they're not willing to add the dining plan, I'd look for another owner to rent from.

Many owners are willing to add the DP as long as they have payment up front (because DVC requires payment at time it's added), but some are not for whatever reason, and that's their choice. I've seen this discussed multiple times, and it seems the biggest concern on both sides is confidentiality of CC information. For that reason, many suggest the renter buy a Disney gift card in sufficient amount and give that number to the owner to use when adding the DP.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the ad says no dining plan, that's the end of that story. They get nothing out of it and it's more work for them. There's an unlimited supply of people who are renting their points and willing to do that.

Hemlock65

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I had her send me the ad and after reviewing it, I have advised her to pass on this one.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I need help, so i went on a presentation this last week and really fell in love with the riviera resort (hard not to, it’s new and shiny). I’m not sure I need another TS and a 100 point contract would be enough for a one bedroom for 4 nights I would think. I started thinking, is it more economical to rent points when I wanted to go? Some of the sites likes kens DVC I think it’s called seemed high. Is it always $3K to rent a few nights at a resort? Are there other places? Maybe direct from owners to rent? How much does a dining plan cost? I’d really like to explore renting DVC for a few nights in the future then maybe add a getaway through II for the rest of the trip when I do universal

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need help, so i went on a presentation this last week and really fell in love with the riviera resort (hard not to, it’s new and shiny). I’m not sure I need another TS and a 100 point contract would be enough for a one bedroom for 4 nights I would think. I started thinking, is it more economical to rent points when I wanted to go? Some of the sites likes kens DVC I think it’s called seemed high. Is it always $3K to rent a few nights at a resort? Are there other places? Maybe direct from owners to rent? How much does a dining plan cost? I’d really like to explore renting DVC for a few nights in the future then maybe add a getaway through II for the rest of the trip when I do universal

David's?

https://dvcrequest.com/

Disboards has a direct-from-owners rental forum (might need to be logged in to see it and there are detailed rules for posting):

https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/

also check out mouseowners and some others.

"How much does a dining plan cost?"

Quick service only starts at $55 per day - I've never considered the DDP to be a good value but YMMV. More info:

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/disney-dining-plan-costs-info-tips/

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
David's?

https://dvcrequest.com/

Disboards has a direct-from-owners rental forum (might need to be logged in to see it and there are detailed rules for posting):

https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/

also check out mouseowners and some others.

"How much does a dining plan cost?"

Quick service only starts at $55 per day - I've never considered the DDP to be a good value but YMMV. More info:

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/disney-dining-plan-costs-info-tips/
This is great thank you! A lot of great info on that disboards site. Looks like that may be the best place to rent direct from owner.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is great thank you! A lot of great info on that disboards site. Looks like that may be the best place to rent direct from owner.
Yes, DISboards is a great site for renting. Just be careful - there have recently been a few scams and attempted scams. If you post an interest in a certain rental and are then contacted by someone other than the owner whose post you responded to, don't answer them or do business with them - report them to the DISboards moderators. https://www.disboards.com/threads/scammer-alert.3788024/

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes, DISboards is a great site for renting. Just be careful - there have recently been a few scams and attempted scams. If you post an interest in a certain rental and are then contacted by someone other than the owner whose post you responded to, don't answer them or do business with them - report them to the DISboards moderators. https://www.disboards.com/threads/scammer-alert.3788024/
How can i tell if they are the renter or not?

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How can i tell if they are the renter or not?
The renter would be you; the person with points to rent out is the DVC owner. On the DIS DVC rent/trade board, owners post that they have points available at such-and-such resort, etc. The potential renter (you) usually posts a response to the owner's thread expressing interest in those points, and then further business is conducted via PMs.

Recently potential renters have been contacted by other individuals, claiming to be DVC owners and offering to rent points to them but ultimately scamming them out of their money. So if you post a response to Owner A on Owner A's thread, and someone claiming to be Owner Z contacts you with an offer, don't deal with Owner Z - report Owner Z to the DISboards moderators.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The renter would be you; the person with points to rent out is the DVC owner. On the DIS DVC rent/trade board, owners post that they have points available at such-and-such resort, etc. The potential renter (you) usually posts a response to the owner's thread expressing interest in those points, and then further business is conducted via PMs.

Recently potential renters have been contacted by other individuals, claiming to be DVC owners and offering to rent points to them but ultimately scamming them out of their money. So if you post a response to Owner A on Owner A's thread, and someone claiming to be Owner Z contacts you with an offer, don't deal with Owner Z - report Owner Z to the DISboards moderators.
Sorry I meant owners. How can I tell they are the legit owner? Can’t owner A post a listing and also be a scam?

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry I meant owners. How can I tell they are the legit owner? Can’t owner A post a listing and also be a scam?
The DIS Rent/Trade board has requirements that people must meet before they're allowed to post: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...nt-trade-policies-updated-09-01-2019.3734006/. Also, DISboards uses the same forum software that TUG uses, meaning that you can click on the owner's username to find their history and read their other posts.

So, while it's possible for a scammer to post a solicitation to rent points, it's difficult enough that scammers usually try other methods, e.g. by contacting potential renters who expressed interest via a post on an owner's thread on the DIS board.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The DIS Rent/Trade board has requirements that people must meet before they're allowed to post: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...nt-trade-policies-updated-09-01-2019.3734006/. Also, DISboards uses the same forum software that TUG uses, meaning that you can click on the owner's username to find their history and read their other posts.

So, while it's possible for a scammer to post a solicitation to rent points, it's difficult enough that scammers usually try other methods, e.g. by contacting potential renters who expressed interest via a post on an owner's thread on the DIS board.
Gotcha! Thanks for the information. I did like the layout of disboards since I’m so used to this

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
If you post either a response or a new post requesting a points reservation from DVC, never accept private messages since that is how a lot of the scammers on the DIS and Mouseowners were getting unknowing renters to send them money. Some are even spoofing a real owners info and modifying the email address they give the renter. So you do your due diligence to check if this is a real owner on the Orange County Comptroller's Website and you still get taken.