• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rentals Oahu and Maui

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter and her family are wanting to go to Hawaii over their Christmas Break. Any recommendations on places to rent on Oahu and Maui? I told her that at this late options would be slim, but I would check and see if anyone had recommendations on resorts, etc. that they could check out.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Christmas week rentals are often significantly higher than the rest of the year, and airfare is criminal.

The top resorts are:

Oahu: KoOlina and Hilton Hawaiian Village

Maui: Westin and Marriott

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might consider www.vrbo.com instead of trying for a timeshare condo rental. As Denise said, this late, rentals and airfare over Christmas holiday break will be through the roof.

Good Luck!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You might consider www.vrbo.com instead of trying for a timeshare condo rental. As Denise said, this late, rentals and airfare over Christmas holiday break will be through the roof.

Good Luck!

I second this recommendation. We've rented a couple of times on the Big Island through vrbo.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Also consider consolidators like Pleasant Holidays and Costco, that offer airfare, condo and car.

P.S. Christmas is one of those times that you must reserve your car in advance or risk having them sell out.

But I agree that everything is double the price at Christmas, from car rentals to airfare to condo rentals. If she can instead travel the week BEFORE Christmas, or the first week of January, she'll save a ton.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I told it would be costly, but she has FF miles for flights, already booked, and the time is set by school schedule. Any recommendation on smaller resorts or possible hotels & motels would be appreciated.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oahu, she wants to spend 2-3 days there and then fly to Maui. At the end would fly back to Oahu for flight home to Detroit.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
There is a place next to Hono Koa in West Maui with lots of folks who own condos there for rental on VRBO. It's called Hale Ono Loa. It's a beautiful little place, and there is one condo that is literally ten feet from the water, on the top floor. It's gorgeous. What a view.

Anything in Honokowai, where Hono Koa is located, is going to have a wonderful view of the ocean, as long as it's on the Kai side of the road.

Napili Kai is a nice little place on the ocean side of the road, across from Gardens at West Maui. It's expensive all the time, but there are little condos there. It's a hotel.

All that being said, I have gotten a couple of matches through II for this coming Christmas week for Maui through my Shell account. I didn't really want to go, but I entered a search to see if something would come through.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Have you tried OGS with RCI with one of your weeks? Also Check the Marketplace here on TUg. Maybe able to get a deal to rent part of a week, if owner is willing? Never hurts to ask.
Silentg

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 on VRBO if you are going to rent. I've used the service on the Big Island, and several European locations and have always found great rentals at reasonable prices. In fact, inhave even preferred to rent than using my hotel points in some places, due to the much better location of the rental property, and the extra comfort of an apartment over a hotel room. I just finalized some rentals in Rome and Germany, just last week. I stayed in Volcano on the Big Island on a VRBO rental last month.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 on VRBO if you are going to rent. I've used the service on the Big Island, and several European locations and have always found great rentals at reasonable prices. In fact, inhave even preferred to rent than using my hotel points in some places, due to the much better location of the rental property, and the extra comfort of an apartment over a hotel room. I just finalized some rentals in Rome and Germany, just last week. I stayed in Volcano on the Big Island on a VRBO rental last month.

We used VRBO very happily one year when we had a "gap night" to fill, but be warned that many rentals in Hawaii (and at other resort locations) have minimum stay requirements - most on Maui required a one-week stay during Easter week when we were looking. The way to get around this is to check the property's availability calendar for gaps. We found a unit that had a 2-night gap and the owner was willing to take our one-night reservation rather than risk not having anyone take either night. The unit was a full one-bedroom apt. in Lahaina on the water at the south end. Two years ago, it even came with all the beach equipment you could need! OP, PM me for the VRBO number if your daughter's interested.

TAG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frustrating experience with VRBO

We were trying to book a couple of nights on Kauai. Even though the calendars said units were available, all of my bookings were rejected by the owner as "not available".

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We were trying to book a couple of nights on Kauai. Even though the calendars said units were available, all of my bookings were rejected by the owner as "not available".

It is not really profitable to rent a few days, especially if it breaks up a week that someone else might take in it's entirety, so owners prefer full week rentals.

This would be especially true for a holiday week.

Your best bet would be to look at the points rentals in the TUG Marketplace and find someone like a Wyndham owner who can book a short stay for you with points.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We have rented through vrbo for less than a week. I do think some places have a minimum of 2-3 nights, but there are some that will rent for one.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have rented through vrbo for less than a week. I do think some places have a minimum of 2-3 nights, but there are some that will rent for one.

True - but if someone wants a few nights out of a prime rental week, many owners will say no, because they prefer to rent the full week.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
True - but if someone wants a few nights out of a prime rental week, many owners will say no, because they prefer to rent the full week.

Agree. But if that is what they prefer it's kind of misleading/dishonest to say they'll rent for a shorter time period.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agree. But if that is what they prefer it's kind of misleading/dishonest to say they'll rent for a shorter time period.

Not at all - when they have partial weeks available, or it's off season, they are probably happy to rent shorter stays. Rentals are a business, and an owner or landlord has to run it as a business.

Of course, you have to follow the discrimination laws, buy you are never obligated to rent to anyone just because they want to rent from you. There is a particular person that I have refused multiple times, just because they are totally obnoxious.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Denise, this is more or less what I was referring to.

If the calendar shows available, but the owner rejects the request, what is going on?

I can see refusing to rent for a couple of nights if the unit is already booked. Are you saying that the owner is probably holding out for a longer rental?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you saying that the owner is probably holding out for a longer rental?

Exactly....
if someone wants a few nights out of a prime rental week, many owners will say no, because they prefer to rent the full week.