• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental cars

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
If you think rental car prices have gone crazy, look what Google flights showed. From $5K to $48K in just 4 days.
1623384795230.png

I thought it might be a Google mistake, but I followed the link to AA.
1623384919785.png

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
lol, I checked that this morning and noticed that it's no longer $48k. You're getting a deal at *checks notes* $24,369.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I always reserve my car the second I confirm my trip, and this is one of those times that I'm glad that I did. I won't relax until I have the keys in my hand, but I got a killer rate early on. We were originally arriving at 5pm-ish, but since AA decided to change all of the LAX/OGG routes, we not arrive a little after 1pm. I don't know if that's actually a good or bad thing in terms of availability.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
lol, I checked that this morning and noticed that it's no longer $48k. You're getting a deal at *checks notes* $24,369.
I don't think it's gone down. My price was for 2 tickets. :cool:

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
As always, an interesting discussion.

Soon, rental cars in Hawaii will return to the pre-Covid cost and availability. Or... Not. I am going with "not".

If rental cars settle at a $60-$70/ day average with $100+ for anything you might actually want to drive, then the ground transportation situation is going to change. How?

Someday maybe there will be all electric "Johnny Cabs" ( see Total Recall) so the transportation options will not include the often prohibitive costs of employees (another topic of discussion for some other forum) and will facilitate relative freedom of motion. But until then...

Something will change. There will be pluses and minuses and winners and losers but a rental car for every traveler may be a thing of the past.

Except for Turo, the ground transportation/rental car industry has not really been disrupted by the internet age. Now looks like it could be.

DayTraveler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts. Coronado Beach Resort.
Hello Everyone. My family of 4 planned a Hawaii trip more than a year ago when COVID was in full swing and we got three really good auto reservations: 1) Avis - intermediate SUV 3 weeks (June) on Hawaii for $1500. 2) All Save Car Rental / Fox Rent A Car two weeks on Maui in July for under $600 in a mid size SUV. And a really small car on Molokai for two weeks $500 if we pay cash in August. None of these folks would allow me to prepay I tried. I am hearing that there are real issues with autos presently on the islands. May I please asks if anyone has any feedback with regards to the probability that we can actually count on these quotes that we do have on “paper.” And / or any ideas on how to create a situation where an auto company might be more inclined to honor their reservation?

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone rented through Budget at OGG recently? I read stories in the past about how they had to show a negative Covid test result to get their rental, but I'm wondering how this works with FastBreak. I assume I can still grab my keys at FastBreak, but quickly show them my negative test?

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone rented through Budget at OGG recently? I read stories in the past about how they had to show a negative Covid test result to get their rental, but I'm wondering how this works with FastBreak. I assume I can still grab my keys at FastBreak, but quickly show them my negative test?
Can't speak for OGG but in Kona there is no FastBreak or any other "pick up and go" option. You and any other driver have to show your "Green" Safe Hawaii travel website on your phone. Can't just show them a negative Covid test.

At KOA the rental companies have consolidated to one of their partner facilities. We rented from Enterprise and picked up from Alamo.

Although it's not horrible, at least at KOA, "quickly" is a word you need to suspend from your vocabulary.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Enterprise, National and Alamo are all the same company ( In ownership anyway. all privately owned by the same family, that original started Enterprise then later acquired the other 2 ) . Just FYI.

Last edited:

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Hello Everyone. My family of 4 planned a Hawaii trip more than a year ago when COVID was in full swing and we got three really good auto reservations: 1) Avis - intermediate SUV 3 weeks (June) on Hawaii for $1500. 2) All Save Car Rental / Fox Rent A Car two weeks on Maui in July for under $600 in a mid size SUV. And a really small car on Molokai for two weeks $500 if we pay cash in August. None of these folks would allow me to prepay I tried. I am hearing that there are real issues with autos presently on the islands. May I please asks if anyone has any feedback with regards to the probability that we can actually count on these quotes that we do have on “paper.” And / or any ideas on how to create a situation where an auto company might be more inclined to honor their reservation?
Well please let us know if your reservations and prices were honored. I have read several stories of companies not honoring their quotes when you get to the counter. I would hope however if one made the booking directly with the rental company , and was a member of their frequent renter programs, etc. that you would have less chance of being held up at the counter with a price or reservation that they refuse to honor. But if it happens I sure would like to hear about it, and if it does happen that would surely effect my loyalty to any such car rental company in the future.

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well please let us know if your reservations and prices were honored. I have read several stories of companies not honoring their quotes when you get to the counter. I would hope however if one made the booking directly with the rental company , and was a member of their frequent renter programs, etc. that you would have less chance of being held up at the counter with a price or reservation that they refuse to honor. But if it happens I sure would like to hear about it, and if it does happen that would surely effect my future loyalty to any such car rental company in the future.
I'm in Maui now and we just spent two weeks on the Big Island. No issues. I got good rates and they were honored.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Well that's good news. Thank You. Hopefully I can find a reasonable car rental rate when I go to the Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch / San Antonio Texas, in Mid July.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Probably just an airline tariff filing error. ALL (most) all airline booking systems (GDS's) pull their fare information from the same data base of fares where Airlines have "filed" them . Google just accesses that same database. I imagine it has been corrected by now. (enough so that I did not bother to check it myself). But just FYI .

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Probably just an airline tariff filing error. ALL (most) all airline booking systems (GDS's) pull their fare information from the same data base of fares where Airlines have "filed" them . Google just accesses that same database. I imagine it has been corrected by now. (enough so that I did not bother to check it myself). But just FYI .
It has been corrected. The chart doesn't show that it went up to $48K but is doesn't show the next day when it dropped to $10K.

1623857035386.png

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In case anyone was wondering the answer to this, somebody elsewhere told me that FastBreak was still a go at OGG (in the garage), so that's great news. They said nobody checked the Aloha Safe app or anything as the exited in their rental car.

TwilightHours

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I was just on Maui from May 29 to June 6th (2021). At the suggestion of the onsite host at the property I checked with Kihei Rent A Car. They had very reasonable rates and their shuttle to from the airport was great. Excellent experience from start to finish. I'll use them again when I'm back in the Kihei area.

Edit: Clarified that the shuttle I took was from Kihei Rent A Car.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recent rental car information for Hawaii ?

Are vehicles still in short supply? What appears to be the latest daily and rental rate (that were quoted for your trip) ?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anyone have any recent rental car information for Hawaii ?

Are vehicles still in short supply? What appears to be the latest daily and rental rate (that were quoted for your trip) ?

I'll be there next month. Here's what I was able to book with all the taxes and fees included.
OGG Car, Midsize, National 8 days (corporate discount), $313, booked last month
LIH Car, Compact SUV, Alamo 14 days, $1,154, booked last October

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We are going to Marriott Ko Olina next April during Easter. I already booked a mini van for 10 nights and prepaid since I am worried about not getting a car. It was $1500 for 10 nights. I can cancel and get a refund (less $50) but I wanted to be sure to have something. I booked with Budget. Does any other rental car company have better rates?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We are going to Marriott Ko Olina next April during Easter. I already booked a mini van for 10 nights and prepaid since I am worried about not getting a car. It was $1500 for 10 nights. I can cancel and get a refund (less $50) but I wanted to be sure to have something. I booked with Budget. Does any other rental car company have better rates?
I can't speak for Kauai, but I reserved a mid size SUV on Maui for 14 nights in March to early April at just a little over $1000. I made the reservation through Costco and it's with Enterprise.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m in Maui right now, and rented a full size car (Camry) a few months ago through Budget for 8 nights. Ended up getting a Kia Sorrento, which I hate. They seemed to have plenty of cars in the garage and lot, IMO. Take this with a grain of salt, but most of what I saw were SUVs.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We booked on a corporate rate months ago at $450 for the week for a std SUV on Maui. The rep at the National aisle saw our large group and upgraded us for free to a full size Chevy Tahoe as the emerald aisle was full of full size SUV but not much else. She gave us the choice of 2. Not bad for an event week.

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
We picked up a Chevy Impala thru Hertz (free upgrade from Malibu) via corporate rate in Maui. No lines. The whole process was smooth - they just looked for green check marks on the safe travels website. (No one outside of the airport cared for the actual QR code.) The regular prices are still high, but I didn’t see long waits at any of the rental offices.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had booked with Avis via Costco for OGG in mid-March before things went totally crazy - pickup June 26 and drop evening July 2. Tons of cars in the garage when I picked up - must have just got a shipment of vehicles in. I had a Nissan Altima with just 9 miles on it at pickup, and saw a similar Altima with consecutive license plate number out on the island one day. Total cost was $440; still high but bearable. Was also offered other vehicle options at the rental counter as well.