• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental cars

Thunder Up

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had 2 instances in 2021 where there were no cars available on a confirmed reservation, a local rental and an off airport location in Fort Lauderdale. Both reservations were with Costco. Costco really came thru on the Fort Lauderdale rental, as I tried to pickup a car at the Fort Lauderdale airport (after the off airport location told me they no nothing available and did not know when they would have any thing available) and they were all sold out. I called Costco both times to log the complaint and seek assistance in getting a vehicle. After about 30 minutes on hold, they found me a car In Fort Lauderdale. I called Costco‘s customer service number shown on the printed confirmation receipt. The rental was about $250 more than my original reservation. The Costco supervisor told me to submit a claim for the difference in car rental costs with documentation when the trip was completed. I did that on both trips and I had the refunds processed and funds received within 2 weeks. Costco rocks.

i hope you have similar good fortunes.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Here's both a funny and informative twist. As stated earlier, only via Expedia was I able to find something, and that was from Economy Car Rental, and it was over $1600. Well, I went add that into my folder for the June trip and discovered that I had already reserved a car through National. I reserved it back on April 27, and the cost was/is $1013 for a Full Size. So, it's been about one month, most cars are gone and the one I found was $600 more expensive.

I learned my lesson and I just reserved cars for Oahu and Kona for October. I'm finding wildly variable rates, but with anything rented at the airport (HNL) being way more expensive. Far less to Uber to your lodging area and rent near there. For me that's Discovery Bay in Waikiki, where there is an Enterprise, or Hilton Hawaiian Village where there is a National.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
@dannybaker I'd encourage you to check out Lyft/Uber. To and from the airport is easy - pick you up right by baggage, no worrying about rentals. Likewise drop off at resort lobby. Easy peasy.
We've never had an issue waiting for a car - there seem to be plenty of drivers.
My son was told minimum wait for Uber in June is 45 min . He has a 3 month old so that does not sound inviting.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I am considering listing my 3rd car through Turo because cheapest cars are $90. I just haven’t done the research so I am a little reluctant. I know a small business owner that jumped right in because he already had a business in place.

And there is Uber also I could also consider if I wasn’t working full time and busy with other things on the weekend. Someone posted rides to the airport were getting over $100. Rides from Koolina to the airport might be fun to do when I am retired.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I am considering listing my 3rd car through Turo

If you have a correct insurance coverage in place, then how about just offering your car directly to tuggers?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I am considering listing my 3rd car through Turo because cheapest cars are $90. I just haven’t done the research so I am a little reluctant. I know a small business owner that jumped right in because he already had a business in place.

And there is Uber also I could also consider if I wasn’t working full time and busy with other things on the weekend. Someone posted rides to the airport were getting over $100. Rides from Koolina to the airport might be fun to do when I am retired.
I recently purchased a Condo in Waikiki on Ala Moana. We're remodeling it now. We have secure parking. I'll be there June 29-July 8, and again July 22-28. I'd consider renting your car instead of renting from a rental car company if fairly priced.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If you have a correct insurance coverage in place, then how about just offering your car directly to tuggers?

Having the Turo platform is probably better for both the car owner and car renter unless the car renter has a fleet of cars, imo. I never considered renting a car off the Turo site but we have one reserved for our Hawaii trip. I like the way everything was laid out on the Turo platform. Hopefully our experience is decent, lol.

Bill

Kapolei

Reaction score
Having the Turo platform is probably better for both the car owner and car renter unless the car renter has a fleet of cars, imo. I never considered renting a car off the Turo site but we have one reserved for our Hawaii trip. I like the way everything was laid out on the Turo platform. Hopefully our experience is decent, lol.

Bill

Considering I am a homeowner, married, and have other assets, I think using a service like Turo would be the only way I would do it. And I am not sure I want to jump into that yet.

I am not worried about the car. It’s 2005 Accord maintained by neighborhood mechanic. So it runs good. But it is basically my beach car. One thing I could do is sell it to someone here for an extended period and then later offer to buy it back. But it would have to be worth the trouble. And the buy back would be a gentleman’s agreement.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
These crazy car rental prices is why on my last trip to Maui I learned to ride the MAUI BUS from and to the Maui airport to the Kaanapali Beach ( Whalers Village). Then I walked or took the free trolley back to The Hyatt Residence Club - Kaanapali Beach Resort. I was determined to make it work, I had to first find the bus stop on the Airport entrance road, etc., but the bus drivers were helpful, and after I got the hang of it I road the bi=us back and forth from the Whalers Village to the shopping are where the supermarket is back toward Lahaina and then several trips to Lahaina to go to shop, dine and attend the Cinema!

Had to transfer two other twice busses, once at the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center, shopping center and again in Lahaina (Wharf Cinema Center) But I made it OK . Especial by going back to the airport early.

As I senior I did the airport to Whalers village for a total of $2 or $3. If you don't get a daily pass, then you have to pay each time you get on a deferment bus, even if it just for a transfer. I think the bus system is operated by Roberts of Hawaii under contract with the county of Maui.

There is one restriction or rule one needs to be aware of : That's on the size bag you can carry on to the bus, but I was within the rule for the one bag that I carried that was big enough to just fit in the typical overhead bin on the air plane, and also carried one backpack / or Briefcase type small bag also.

The rules are listed on the schedules and the Maui Bus web site(s) Maui Bus or https://www.mauicounty.gov/609/Maui-Bus-Public-Transit-System
You can make it work if you really want to, which I did!

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I rented a small truck last month to pick up a table and chairs we bought. When I reserved it the cost was 69 cents/mile. When I got there to pick it up he quoted $1.49/mile. I pressed and he said, oh, yes, I see you got in before the price increase, and they gave me the 69 cent price. But it’s obvious they have jumped their prices as a result of the situation (to discourage, or take advantage, not sure). U-haul does say they offer a kama’aina rate. Not sure what that rate is but will find out next month.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I rented a small truck last month to pick up a table and chairs we bought. When I reserved it the cost was 69 cents/mile. When I got there to pick it up he quoted $1.49/mile. I pressed and he said, oh, yes, I see you got in before the price increase, and they gave me the 69 cent price. But it’s obvious they have jumped their prices as a result of the situation (to discourage, or take advantage, not sure). U-haul does say they offer a kama’aina rate. Not sure what that rate is but will find out next month.
Glad you were able to get your original rate. A friend went to Ohau from Konar recently to shop for a dress for her daughter's upcoming wedding. There was not a rental car to be found. Thankfully friends who live on Oahu were able to pick her up and take her shopping. It is tough on both residents as well as visitors as the article suggests. We have three vehicles which takes the burden off when family and friends are visiting from the mainland.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Glad you were able to get your original rate. A friend went to Ohau from Konar recently to shop for a dress for her daughter's upcoming wedding. There was not a rental car to be found. Thankfully friends who live on Oahu were able to pick her up and take her shopping. It is tough on both residents as well as visitors as the article suggests. We have three vehicles which takes the burden off when family and friends are visiting from the mainland.
Is all this leading to an increase in the price of used cars?

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
It is already happening in Hawaii County - used vehicles are more expensive than usual - new vehicles which always had minimal brands and choices on the island are really hard to come by. I am always asked if I want to sell my 2006 Subaru Baja (still has less than 100,000 miles)

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill

We got a car through Turo for half of next week, and are looking for one for the other half (Kailua-Kona). My experience is that with the cars that list for a reasonable rate, you open the listing and there is an entirely different, much higher rate shown.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got a car through Turo for half of next week, and are looking for one for the other half (Kailua-Kona). My experience is that with the cars that list for a reasonable rate, you open the listing and there is an entirely different, much higher rate shown.

I think they call that "Bait and Switch".

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

My Turo reservation was canceled by the host a while back. I am invited to pick another car but the price increased about 35%. It looks like this person has many cars on Turo.

Yesterday I saw Brian's Tug Priceline link so I checked it out. I was able to reserve a car for about $55 a day all in through a regular car rental company but it has a no cancelation policy. I didn't rent it because its a winter trip and things might change. I thought the price was decent enough.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Do you mind posting the link?

j59kim

TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine just got a cancellation notice for a rental car they booked on Orbitz for 7/31 for Fox rental in Maui. They said they overbooked although I don’t know if the company sent the cancellation or Orbitz. Although I remember thinking the price they got two months ago at $400/week was too good to be true...still puts them in a tough spot now with cars running out.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I had heard that used car prices had already gone way up.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
A friend of mine just got a cancellation notice for a rental car they booked on Orbitz for 7/31 for Fox rental in Maui. They said they overbooked although I don’t know if the company sent the cancellation or Orbitz. Although I remember thinking the price they got two months ago at $400/week was too good to be true...still puts them in a tough spot now with cars running out.

My wife is very good at booking through Costco and then checking it often to see if the price goes down. If it does she cancels and rebooks. My worry is not having the car there when we arrive. If the rental company has a walk-up renter there willing to pay $1,200 and my rental reservation is $400 but I am coming the next day, I see them taking the $1,200 over my reservation.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My wife is very good at booking through Costco and then checking it often to see if the price goes down. If it does she cancels and rebooks. My worry is not having the car there when we arrive. If the rental company has a walk-up renter there willing to pay $1,200 and my rental reservation is $400 but I am coming the next day, I see them taking the $1,200 over my reservation.
I think rechecking these days is futile. We are only seeing big increases in rental rates the closer we get to our travel dates. I too am concerned about them honoring an earlier booked cheap rate. I guess though they could play the same game we all play with booking new and cancelling old.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Instead of constantly rechecking have her register her rental with AutoSlash. They will do the checking and email if they find something cheaper.

Reactions: RX8