• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental cars

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Just got a premium car for 8 days on Maui in August for free... plus 52,320 Chase Reserve points.
Art, those points are not free. Those points would be worth $784.80, if you used them for groceries or any other travel. I say groceries because that is how we have been using our Chase points. 52,320 X 1.5 = $784.80 in value. We also use the points for Home Depot. We make a purchase through Home Depot, go to the portal before our payment is due, choose Home Depot purchases and grocery purchases from the list, and we get a real cash credit to our future statement. It's great for us. We even get gift cards for Amazon and Disney at our grocery store and get 100% back for those. It's been good, since travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards hasn't worked well for us.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Art, those points are not free. Those points would be worth $784.80, if you used them for groceries or any other travel. I say groceries because that is how we have been using our Chase points. 52,320 X 1.5 = $784.80 in value. We also use the points for Home Depot. We make a purchase through Home Depot, go to the portal before our payment is due, choose Home Depot purchases and grocery purchases from the list, and we get a real cash credit to our future statement. It's great for us. We even get gift cards for Amazon and Disney at our grocery store and get 100% back for those. It's been good, since travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards hasn't worked well for us.
Actually, I didn't say the points were free, I said the car was free... plus 52,320 Chase Reserve points. I know that booking travel with points makes them worth 1.5x. I didn't know you could use them toward groceries. Is that just a temporary benefit because of the pandemic? As other threads have discussed, car rental rates right now are crazy. If the rates for Maui go down before our trip in August, I'll cancel and rebook. The confirm makes clear what the points are worth. It included this:

Payable today: $784.80
Base Price: Included
Taxes & Fees: Included
52,320 PTS redeemed: -$784.80
Total due today: 52,320 PTS and $0.00

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on the best time of day to get a rental car in Maui. We are scheduled on the later DFW flight that arrives about 4:30. I’m trying to decide if getting there earlier in the day would be better.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Are none of you actually Googling for discount codes? I've been using the same BCD code for a decade at Budget, and the discount has always come in lower than damn near everyone else, including Costco, which is always touted as the go-to here. I just checked, and for our dates (7/3-7/11), our full-size rental is $320 after taxes. It's $1088 before the discount, for reference. Even their public Friends and Family code drops it a little, to $952.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Are none of you actually Googling for discount codes? I've been using the same BCD code for a decade at Budget, and the discount has always come in lower than damn near everyone else, including Costco, which is always touted as the go-to here. I just checked, and for our dates (7/3-7/11), our full-size rental is $320 after taxes. It's $1088 before the discount, for reference. Even their public Friends and Family code drops it a little, to $952.

Just be clear on the risks.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Everyone has their own risk tolerance. This one’s very low on mine, especially since I’ve had zero issues with it with over a dozen rentals.

valbo97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying person to person rental on Kauai. Has anyone done this and what was the result?? Prius for a month is $1025?
Person has a website for another business and seems legit. ANybody else try this?
Bob W?

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used autoslash and got 4 days on Maui for $293. Arrived yesterday and got the car at Hertz with no wait. There were a lot of cars available. We made it through the airport in about 10 minutes. My husband went directly to car rental while I got the luggage.

mayamart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stardust Resort, Vacation Club, South Lake Tahoe
Hotel Xcaret , Mexico Destination Club, Playa del Carmen
Posting again... we were able to get an Alamo mid-size rental for almost $70 per day through HawaiiDiscount.com, for Kailua-Kona. Cheapy cheap! It was seamless to use the voucher and we were issued a Ford Fusion, within 15 mins. Easy peasy.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
You could always rent a UHaul :cool:

I wonder with the high price of rental cars are the Uber, Hyft or Taxis going up in price for a ride since people will be using them more if they can't rent a car or the rent a car prices are so high that people decide to use their services rather than renting a car?

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Kihei rent-a-car is renting cars on Turo. I saw a 2015 Nisan Sentra for $25 a day. With the best Turo insurance it would be about $47 a day all in. I will be checking the other rental agencies as the year drags on but we will likely keep our Turo rental.

Does anyone have any experience renting through Turo?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Turo is for cars what Airbnb is for homes or apartments. You are renting a car from an individual who is making that car available through Turo. Some are great, some perhaps not very good. As with Airbnb, look at the ratings for each owner before deciding to go with them. Don't expect the same support that a car rental company would give you, like an easy replacement if the car breaks down. You will be dealing with individuals, not large companies.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Turo is for cars what Airbnb is for homes or apartments. You are renting a car from an individual who is making that car available through Turo. Some are great, some perhaps not very good. As with Airbnb, look at the ratings for each owner before deciding to go with them. Don't expect the same support that a car rental company would give you, like an easy replacement if the car breaks down. You will be dealing with individuals, not large companies.

Thanks Henry. I do know what they are and how they work (our daughter was renting her car out in SF through Getaway). I just wondered if others had experience actually using them in Hawaii.

Was able to get a Hertz car for 2 weeks late August (for the same price we paid for month in January), but way better than some of the recent horror stories. It will be after schools start in August, so that may explain availability. I also booked it picking up at the Hyatt near WKORV and returning to OGG and saved a LOT of money. Probably won'f fuss with Turo.

trev111t

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Henry. I do know what they are and how they work (our daughter was renting her car out in SF through Getaway). I just wondered if others had experience actually using them in Hawaii.

Was able to get a Hertz car for 2 weeks late August (for the same price we paid for month in January), but way better than some of the recent horror stories. It will be after schools start in August, so that may explain availability. I also booked it picking up at the Hyatt near WKORV and returning to OGG and saved a LOT of money. Probably won'f fuss with Turo.
I have had two successful Turo rentals in Hawaii. One trip in Feb 2020, we got a mustang convertible for just my wife and I (highly recommend the convertible). When we took the kids in April 2021, we booked a Ford expedition for the cargo/passenger capacity. Both trips were very easy. The host met us at HNL on arrival and departure so we avoided the usual line at the rental car counter.
I've also used Turo for trips in Florida and California with success. I gladly recommend Turo and would use the service again, but am not tied to it. I would still use traditional car rental companies if the price was better than Turo. Turo has an advantage since you know exactly what vehicle you are getting.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have had two successful Turo rentals in Hawaii. One trip in Feb 2020, we got a mustang convertible for just my wife and I (highly recommend the convertible). When we took the kids in April 2021, we booked a Ford expedition for the cargo/passenger capacity. Both trips were very easy. The host met us at HNL on arrival and departure so we avoided the usual line at the rental car counter.
I've also used Turo for trips in Florida and California with success. I gladly recommend Turo and would use the service again, but am not tied to it. I would still use traditional car rental companies if the price was better than Turo. Turo has an advantage since you know exactly what vehicle you are getting.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Thanks for info; good to know. I was particularly interested in whether there was airport pick up or not although I am sure it varies. For this particular trip I don't think I would save much money, although I imagine Turo might be more reliable than the stories I am reading about people getting to rental car companies and finding that their reservation didn't mean much.

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back home Friday. The rental car situation is a lot more challenging on Kauai than it is on Maui. If you are arriving on Saturday or Sunday you need to be prepared for a long wait. We were some of the first off the plane and there was a long line. We have status with Hertz because of our titanium status with Marriott so my husband was able to bypass the line and get our car. Some people waited as long as 4 hours to get a car. We got cars through autoslash on both islands for around $50 a day. There are people who have said if you reserve through a 3rd party you have to wait longer. That was not the case with us. They do honor status. It think it helps if you join the rewards program. I think most everyone is getting their car but some are having to wait for cars to be returned. We did consider UHaul. They do have pickup trucks and vans you can rent for about 19.99 a day plus about 9 cents a mile. My guess would be 12:00 to 5:00 would be the busiest.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got back home Friday. The rental car situation is a lot more challenging on Kauai than it is on Maui. If you are arriving on Saturday or Sunday you need to be prepared for a long wait. We were some of the first off the plane and there was a long line. We have status with Hertz because of our titanium status with Marriott so my husband was able to bypass the line and get our car. Some people waited as long as 4 hours to get a car. We got cars through autoslash on both islands for around $50 a day. There are people who have said if you reserve through a 3rd party you have to wait longer. That was not the case with us. They do honor status. It think it helps if you join the rewards program. I think most everyone is getting their car but some are having to wait for cars to be returned. We did consider UHaul. They do have pickup trucks and vans you can rent for about 19.99 a day plus about 9 cents a mile. My guess would be 12:00 to 5:00 would be the busiest.

Going to Maui and have been the highest status (president's circle?) at Hertz for a very long time. Sadly am arriving Sunday mid-afternoon, but am getting around the OGG pick up by renting from the Hertz at the Hyatt near the Westin in Kaanapali and returning to OGG. Bit of a hassle, but the cost savings are phenomenal.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Sounds like a joke. But it probably is true.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brilliant! Whoever came up with this idea was clever indeed. As the article states, when rental cars are going for $249/day, it's a great deal to rent a small moving van for $19.95/day plus $.89/mile.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Anyone use Turo to rent a car?
Right now a 2-week Sept rental (Costco) is running at $1600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk