• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Car Availability

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I needed a car to drive from Tampa to SC (Greenville area).....checked Kayak, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, (and went directly to a couple of companies).....NOTHING!! Not like it was "very expensive"......no NOTHING, no cars available this week! Finally got a reservation next week and called Alamo to ask if there was a chance that I could maybe get something sooner; move up my reservation (they said I could trying calling back/checking each day); but they informed me there was a 14 day block on car rentals.....i.e. you needed to book for 14 days to get availability - WOW. Anyone else finding this?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Are you a Costco Member? Did you try Costco Travel?

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Also, forgot to add did you try AutoSlash.com?

Richard

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Same here. I book several months out and watch prices, changing as they drop. They’re both dropping much, and when our Vegas trip got closer, boom, nothing. Not two weeks out but a couple of days out.

I thought maybe this was an anomaly or a change in marketing ploy. However, when we arrived, the vehicle class we had reserved, a mid-size SUV, wasn’t available, they were out. We were offered a minivan for the same rate, which I accepted. When we arrived at the car, they were still cleaning it. It was the only minivan on the lot. In fact, the lot was easily void of cars.

I suspect what we’re seeing is rental car agencies practicing cost control by not overbuying cars and keeping prices higher. Typically, a one week rental in Vegas is around $140-$160. This year it’s $220. My next couple of trips are the same, higher prices. I keep an eye on them and they’ve budged a little, but not a lot.

Over the years I’ve seen the rental agencies adjust pricing policy, this is just the new normal for now. In a couple of years it will probably be something else.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback (confirmations.....). I'm not a COSTCO member but I registered with AutoSlash and they did send me a quote (so they DID find availability!!!......while I still haven't found availability anywhere using Tavelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, etc - just checked all sites again a few minutes ago and couldn't find a single car available at any price!) - the price at Autoslash was about $300 for Thursday/Friday....compared to the $80 I was able to secure for Monday. So I am going to just hang out here....keep swimming and enjoying the warm weather......These are certainly different travel times.......