• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Advice?

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
20 some year owner at Barony here… very long story but rented my 2 weeks to family for this summer due to conflict with dates. So now trying to find a rental on redweek for one of the big 3 oceanfront in Hilton Head or Ocean Watch. Never been to Myrtle beach. Trying to go last week of June or first week or two in July.

Question… outside of being verified and protected.. how in the world do you know if it’s legit? The verified and protected fees are close to $500. That’s crazy! Any advice for someone that’s never rented? I’ve read where you shouldn’t Zelle, Venmo or PayPal but that’s all I see? Tried looking for just verified but not much and many are 5 day reservations. Really want a week without moving rooms. I guess I naively thought this would be easy. And I also thought being relatively last minute that some of the prices would be more reasonable. UGH! Thank you for any tips.. I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, if you won't Zelle, Venmo or PayPal I am not sure how you're proposing to pay. This is how I see most renters accepting payments.

My personal approach is:

1) ask the owner to forward a copy of the confirmation to you;
2) offer to put down a small deposit for the reservation to be changed to your name and an updated confirmation to be sent to you;
3) when you get the revised reservation, call the resort and confirm the confirmation exists and is in your name (add any special requests at this time);
4) pay the remaining balance once you complete #3

This will not protect you from an actual owner with an actual reservation from canceling it at some point before you check in...but I think such risk is lower than scammers just posting random weeks they have no access to. If you're not willing to take on that smaller risk, I think you're stuck going the full "verified and protected" route with Redweek (or something similar with Koala).

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
First, if you won't Zelle, Venmo or PayPal I am not sure how you're proposing to pay. This is how I see most renters accepting payments.

My personal approach is:

2) offer to put down a small deposit for the reservation to be changed to your name and an updated confirmation to be sent to you;
3) when you get the revised reservation, call the resort and confirm the confirmation exists and is in your name (add any special requests at this time);

This will not protect you from an actual owner with an actual reservation from canceling it at some point before you check in...but I think such risk is lower than scammers just posting random weeks they have no access to. If you're not willing to take on that smaller risk, I think you're stuck going the full "verified and protected" route with Redweek (or something similar with Koala).
I agree with your process. You are describing is a good way for a renter to verify and protect without paying Redweek service. An owner can provide the same documentation directly to the prospective renter that they provide Redweek. Some of Redweek service fees are for credit card fees and, in this case, the required South Carolina lodging taxes which are supposed to be collected by individual renters but rarely added to the rental price. If owners are including the lodging tax in the rental price, some owners are renting their weeks for a relatively low price. The main advantage I see as an owner to rent use Redweek verified and protected is that prospective renters can use a credit card rather than direct cash payment methods.

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the credit card advantage. I don’t have a problem paying with Venmo or the like.. but I had read it’s risky. But what’s left besides mailing a check?

I appreciate the advice..

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Use a certified Bank Check and never a personal check....that goes for whether you rent out one of your units or rent from someone else.
There are ways to vet a renter (going both ways, renter or rentee), so use your common sense intuition------call the renter and talk, call the resort,
look them up on Facebook or any other way, and get copies of reservations emailed to you to look at.........just do your homework.
And finally, use your gut feeling as to whether it checks out. I've rented a couple of units each year for 20 years and never once had a problem,
but it's because I used a common sense approach.

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use a certified Bank Check and never a personal check....that goes for whether you rent out one of your units or rent from someone else.
There are ways to vet a renter (going both ways, renter or rentee), so use your common sense intuition------call the renter and talk, call the resort,
look them up on Facebook or any other way, and get copies of reservations emailed to you to look at.........just do your homework.
And finally, use your gut feeling as to whether it checks out. I've rented a couple of units each year for 20 years and never once had a problem,
but it's because I used a common sense approach.

Thank you!

Reactions: jme

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I agree with your process. You are describing is a good way for a renter to verify and protect without paying Redweek service. An owner can provide the same documentation directly to the prospective renter that they provide Redweek. Some of Redweek service fees are for credit card fees and, in this case, the required South Carolina lodging taxes which are supposed to be collected by individual renters but rarely added to the rental price. If owners are including the lodging tax in the rental price, some owners are renting their weeks for a relatively low price. The main advantage I see as an owner to rent use Redweek verified and protected is that prospective renters can use a credit card rather than direct cash payment methods.
And, I like the idea of Redweek collecting the rents and then holding them for payment to the owner until after the check-in date. This gives some comfort to the renter and is quite fair to both parties. Were I renting, I would expect something along these lines before sending any money.

Last edited:

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
20 some year owner at Barony here… very long story but rented my 2 weeks to family for this summer due to conflict with dates. So now trying to find a rental on redweek for one of the big 3 oceanfront in Hilton Head or Ocean Watch. Never been to Myrtle beach. Trying to go last week of June or first week or two in July.

Question… outside of being verified and protected.. how in the world do you know if it’s legit? The verified and protected fees are close to $500. That’s crazy! Any advice for someone that’s never rented? I’ve read where you shouldn’t Zelle, Venmo or PayPal but that’s all I see? Tried looking for just verified but not much and many are 5 day reservations. Really want a week without moving rooms. I guess I naively thought this would be easy. And I also thought being relatively last minute that some of the prices would be more reasonable. UGH! Thank you for any tips.. I appreciate it!

Verified and protected is safer, no doubt. But, as you said, it costs a lot especially in states where Redweek collects the taxes.

As an owner who rents out weeks on occasion, I don't use verified and protected for various reasons. When I get an inquiry I talk to the renter and address their concerns. I only take payment via Zelle and Paypal, friends and family because it saves everyone fees and using Paypal or Venmo as "goods and services" transaction really doesn't protect the renter since they exclude real-estate transactions explicitly from buyer protection. In the end it comes down to trust since the owner can always remove your name from the reservation after you get a confirmation. If that makes you uncomfortable, you can always use "verified and protected" but you'll pay a lot more over the years if you rent often.

Last edited:

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Even if a listing on Redweek is Verified and Protected, you can still contact the owner via Redweek and negotiate a direct payment, avoiding Redweek's 10% fee. Unless it's Full Service - then you can't get around Redweek.

FunnyFarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point @ Poipu, Lawai Beach Resort, MROP/VRI, Worldmark
Thanks echino.
I just put in a Redweek ad V&P but added in the description about paying direct to me, as you suggested.
I did V&P just to get the credit card option for the renter.

With direct pay I guess I will need to have my own rental agreement, any suggestions?

What are the Paypal fees for the seller? I can't find this on their site.
What about Paypal payment by "friends and family"?

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
I used to use V&P on RedWeek but with the new owners, they have added a hefty fee to the rental. I wish TUG had more rentals. This past July my son had to find a rental for the 4th of July week (family reunion) and he also had to find renters for his July 8th week. He found the week to rent on RW but it was not V&P, he communicated with the owner and everything worked out. I went on FB's Marriott's SW page and said my son had the week of July 8th for rent and found someone who wanted to rent the 3 bedroom villa. I could look and see that they had been on FB for a while and after communicating I guess they felt my son was not a crook so they sent a check and that all worked out. I also look on RW to see how long they have been a member. Maybe we have just been lucky but it has always worked out. Not using V&P really saves the individual who is renting a lot of money. Good luck, I know it's too late for this year, but also maybe look on FB Marriott pages, people do post rentals on those pages.

Reactions: erm

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I used to use V&P on RedWeek but with the new owners, they have added a hefty fee to the rental. I wish TUG had more rentals. This past July my son had to find a rental for the 4th of July week (family reunion) and he also had to find renters for his July 8th week. He found the week to rent on RW but it was not V&P, he communicated with the owner and everything worked out. I went on FB's Marriott's SW page and said my son had the week of July 8th for rent and found someone who wanted to rent the 3 bedroom villa. I could look and see that they had been on FB for a while and after communicating I guess they felt my son was not a crook so they sent a check and that all worked out. I also look on RW to see how long they have been a member. Maybe we have just been lucky but it has always worked out. Not using V&P really saves the individual who is renting a lot of money. Good luck, I know it's too late for this year, but also maybe look on FB Marriott pages, people do post rentals on those pages.

I'm not sure of the hefty fees that are added but if the rental was for a South Carolina resort, the hefty fees may include 10% in resort fees required for SC rentals. I always use Redweek for SC rentals because they collect and pay over these fees to the taxing authority. There are some who are renting out units at lesser amounts because they do not collect and/or pay these resort fees. I suspect over time the state will figure out how to collect these amounts. I just don't want the risk and certainly don't want a renter to be exposed. Out of fairness to Redweek, they do disclose in detail any fees and taxes added to the rental in the listing as you try to book the reservation.

Last edited:

SunandFun83

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point

My personal approach is:

Add to this paying with a credit card via PayPal. You can make a charge back claim. The owner might ask you to pay or share the 3% credit card fee. Way better deal than 15% Redweek taxes and fees