• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

rent out fixed week that participates in RCI Points?

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a week 51 deed of a Disney-area timeshare that's been converted (if that's the word) into RCI points.

Thanks to my inability to stay away from Ebay, I have more RCI points than I need, so I'm thinking of renting my week for cash.

The RCI Points website says I don't have a "Home Week;" it says I have a "Home Resort." So it shows me RCI points availability in my Home Resort 12 months ahead.

Question 1: Does this mean my week 51 doesn't have fixed week status, and if I want to reserve week 51 (for personal use or to rent), I need to compete with every other owner of my resort who has enough RCI points to log on and reserve 12 months ahead?

Question 2: If that's how I book the week at the my Home Resort - - spending my RCI points starting 12 months ahead - - is there anything wrong with my buying a guest certificate for a stranger who's paying me rent?

Thanks!

Bill4728

Reaction score
This same question has been asked here many times.

"If I convert my week to RCI points and therefore make my home resort reservations thru RCI, can I rent out my week?"

The answer is that at some resorts, you can make your reservation during your "home resort" reservation period and not involve RCI. Therefore you'll have no problem renting your week.

But some resorts make all RCI points owners make their "home resort" reservation thru RCI and that can make it less clear. Because RCI reservations can't be rented out. Of course this make no sense since you'll just be renting out the week you own and not an "Exchange".

The best idea I have is since it is almost 12 months from week 51, call your home resort and find out if during the "home resort" reservation period, can you make a reservation for your fixed week.

Last edited:

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
This same question has been asked here many times.

"If I convert my week to RCI points and therefore make my home resort reservations thru RCI, can I rent out my week?"

The answer is that at some resorts, you can make your reservation during your "home resort" reservation period and not involve RCI. Therefore you'll have no problem renting your week.

But some resorts make all RCI points owners make their "home resort" reservation thru RCI and that can make it less clear. Because RCI reservations can't be rented out. Of course this make no sense since you'll just be renting out the week you own and not an "Exchange".

The best idea I have is since it is almost 12 months from week 51, call your home resort and find out if during the "home resort" reservation period, can you make a reservation for your fixed week.
Earlier in the year, I sent an email to RCI asking the same question. Here is their response, but I'm not sure if it answers your question.
As long as you reserve your home week (if you own fixed weeks) or the unit type and season that matches your floating ownership and confirm during the home week or home resort period, you may use or rent out that week. If you reserve a unit which does not match your ownership, or reserve after the home week/home resort priority reservation period, you may not rent out the unit.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Earlier in the year, I sent an email to RCI asking the same question. Here is their response, but I'm not sure if it answers your question.
As long as you reserve your home week (if you own fixed weeks) or the unit type and season that matches your floating ownership and confirm during the home week or home resort period, you may use or rent out that week. If you reserve a unit which does not match your ownership, or reserve after the home week/home resort priority reservation period, you may not rent out the unit.

Great to see this policy in writing.

Thanks

PS There have been some Tuggers who have had their resorts tell them they couldn't rent out their own weeks. About two years ago, a Tugger on the east coast, had her resort tell her that she could rent out her week because it was reserved using her points even though it was home week/home resort.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The RCI Points website says I don't have a "Home Week;" it says I have a "Home Resort." So it shows me RCI points availability in my Home Resort 12 months ahead.

Question 1: Does this mean my week 51 doesn't have fixed week status, and if I want to reserve week 51 (for personal use or to rent), I need to compete with every other owner of my resort who has enough RCI points to log on and reserve 12 months ahead?...
If you bought a fixed week 51, I'd expect you to have a Home Week. You should have a Home Resort as well, and maybe also a Home Group. Are you sure you don't have both a Home Week and Home Resort, and you just aren't seeing the Home Week booking option because you aren't in the Home Week booking window?

If RCI really is saying that you have no Home Week, I'd call the resort and ask about this. If you own a fixed week, you are entitled to a Home Week booking opportunity.

PS There have been some Tuggers who have had their resorts tell them they couldn't rent out their own weeks. About two years ago, a Tugger on the east coast, had her resort tell her that she could rent out her week because it was reserved using her points even though it was home week/home resort.
Hi, Bill

Did you mean the resort told her that she could not rent out her week?

Also, is the Tugger you are talking about me, or someone else? (I'm not on the East Coast, but I had problems renting out at a resort in an Eastern state.) I own three fixed weeks that have been converted to RCI Points, and I have found it quite a hassle to rent them out. Depositing them with a company other than RCI is out of the question. In fact, I owned a fourth RCI Points fixed week, but sold it because of the hassle of using RCI Points weeks for anything other than RCI Points.

In my case, the resort did not flat out say I could not rent my week, but they said they had no way to confirm that I still had use of the week -- all RCI would tell them was that the week was in the RCI exchange pool, even though I had booked it during my Home Week Reservation window.

Last edited: