• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renegotiating Marriott Contract

marksue

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott Contract at the Ocean club is for renewal. Has any location renegotiated the terms of the agreement. It seems out of lien that when our fees go up Marriott gets more money. The fees collected are to support the property not pay Marriott.

Anyone have any info on any renegotiations that have taken place.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott Contract at the Ocean club is for renewal. Has any location renegotiated the terms of the agreement. It seems out of lien that when our fees go up Marriott gets more money. The fees collected are to support the property not pay Marriott.

Anyone have any info on any renegotiations that have taken place.

I believe Marriott gets paid a percentage of expenses as their management fee.

I'm sure others will add more comments.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I don't remember ever reading on TUG about a resort that was able to renegotiate a change to the 10% management fee when the management contract came up for renewal. It's stipulated in the governing docs so theoretically could be changed by an ownership majority voting for an amendment, but I don't know of any resort, either, where such an amendment was proposed (nevermind passed.) I'd be worried that Marriott would simply not renew the management contract if there was enough of a push from ownership that the 10% fee to Marriott would be jeopardized.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe that Beach Place renegotiated their contract a couple years back. Don't think they changed the 10% management fee though, but they were able to get some concessions from Marriott.

siberiavol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Harbor Point looked at some options two or three years ago. If I recall from a conversation with the GM the other big name management companies would have been more expensive.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anything can be negotiated - the Board should look at all options and make demands for the good of the owners (they don't exist to support the Marriott bottom line). To simply accept whatever terms Marriott or any other management asks for isn't doing the Board's fiduciary duty for the owners.

Good luck - hope they can get meaningful compromises.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If I remember correctly, the opinion was that the Ocean Club HOA had a very pro Marriott stance. If that is correct, not sure how much they try to do the right thing for owners.

fizzysoup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phuket Beach Club & Asia Pacific Points Club

The Marriott management fee for both of these is 15% - so it goes without saying that the higher the maintenance fees the higher the profit for Marriott or should I now say MVCI/MVWC

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I remember correctly, the opinion was that the Ocean Club HOA had a very pro Marriott stance. If that is correct, not sure how much they try to do the right thing for owners.

Plus, I'm not sure that it is the right thing for the BOD to do at any Marriott resort, to push for something that might force Marriott to exercise its unilateral right to void the management contract and walk away from the resort. I would be very surprised to hear that any resort successfully negotiated a less-than-10% management fee, not when it would set the precedent for every other resort to push for the same concession. I think it's more possible for something like what you say happened at Beach Place, that Marriott might be willing to negotiate other terms. That 10% is just too dang important to Marriott, and when one resort gains that upper hand all the rest are going to line up to be next.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Excuse my ignorance, but if Marriott walked away from the management of a resort, would the resort then cease to be part of MVCI? You couldn't very well have Hilton managing a MVCI resort, could you? It seems like owners and Marriott are co-dependent.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Plus, I'm not sure that it is the right thing for the BOD to do at any Marriott resort, to push for something that might force Marriott to exercise its unilateral right to void the management contract and walk away from the resort. I would be very surprised to hear that any resort successfully negotiated a less-than-10% management fee, not when it would set the precedent for every other resort to push for the same concession. I think it's more possible for something like what you say happened at Beach Place, that Marriott might be willing to negotiate other terms. That 10% is just too dang important to Marriott, and when one resort gains that upper hand all the rest are going to line up to be next.

I agree, it would be no more irresponsible for the HOA to pull out of the Marriott system than it would to not look for the best price. Their job is to find the right balance. There is value to many owners in the Marriott name on the door, as much as many people here thing there isn't. If my resorts dropped Marriott, I would be pretty upset. If we all went for cheapest price, there would be absolutely no mini systems.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Excuse my ignorance, but if Marriott walked away from the management of a resort, would the resort then cease to be part of MVCI? You couldn't very well have Hilton managing a MVCI resort, could you? It seems like owners and Marriott are co-dependent.

Anything is possible. If a resort is not under Marriott management, it is free to sign a contract with any other management company it desires. It just happened with the Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas, it was a Westgate property but will now be managed by Hilton.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Black Eye for Marriott

Aruba Ocean Club as most of you know is sandwiched between the Marriott Stellaris on one side, and the Marriott Surf Club on the other.

How would this look

Starwood Aruba Ocean Club
Hilton Aruba Ocean Club
Royal Aruba Ocean Club

Perhaps Aruba Ocean Club managed by Groupo Mayan. I like this one the best.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Marriott in the past has ceased management operations of several resorts and because of that, they are no longer Marriott resorts. Two are on Hilton Head Island - Swallowtail and Spicebush - and two were a part of the complex in Breckenridge, CO - Aspen and Cedar.

I don't know how it works when a contract is broken, what it means specifically for the common areas of resorts that are owned by Marriott and not the Weeks owners. And definitely, there are new ramifications with the DC as far as Weeks owned by Marriott which they've conveyed to the DC Trust. But yes, when Marriott ceases management of a resort, the Marriott name will come off of it and any Marriott Rewards-related benefits those owners are entitled to will cease. I think that the assumption on TUG is that any DC enrollment benefits will cease as well.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club as most of you know is sandwiched between the Marriott Stellaris on one side, and the Marriott Surf Club on the other.

How would this look

Starwood Aruba Ocean Club
Hilton Aruba Ocean Club
Royal Aruba Ocean Club

Perhaps Aruba Ocean Club managed by Groupo Mayan. I like this on the best.

How does the set-up look with the five buildings at Breckenridge, three that are still Marriotts and two that are not?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am also curious how management contracts at RTU properties work. Are the Aruba properties not RTU? If so, do the owners really own anything other than the right to use? If not, who owns the land and buildings?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I understand the RTU in Aruba is designed so that no one entity owns beachfront property. They are based on 60 years usage. If you are a good hotel/timeshare operator then in 60 years the Aruba authority would in all likelihood renew the RTU agreement.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does the set-up look with the five buildings at Breckenridge, three that are still Marriotts and two that are not?

Can someone who is familiar with the Breckenridge and the Aruba locations chime in. I am only familiar with the layout of Aruba.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Marriott in the past has ceased management operations of several resorts and because of that, they are no longer Marriott resorts. Two are on Hilton Head Island - Swallowtail and Spicebush - and two were a part of the complex in Breckenridge, CO - Aspen and Cedar.

I don't know how it works when a contract is broken, what it means specifically for the common areas of resorts that are owned by Marriott and not the Weeks owners. And definitely, there are new ramifications with the DC as far as Weeks owned by Marriott which they've conveyed to the DC Trust. But yes, when Marriott ceases management of a resort, the Marriott name will come off of it and any Marriott Rewards-related benefits those owners are entitled to will cease. I think that the assumption on TUG is that any DC enrollment benefits will cease as well.

Clarification--it's actually the Streamside property/buildings in Vail, not Breckenridge. As a Cedar owner, I luckily was able to give mine away about a year ago after Marriott and the HOA parted ways.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Clarification--it's actually the Streamside property/buildings in Vail, not Breckenridge. As a Cedar owner, I luckily was able to give mine away about a year ago after Marriott and the HOA parted ways.

Thanks for the correction. :)