• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Relocating for HS Sports

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is a lot of interest in High school transfers to states that are having fall sports.
Most of all this makes me sad for those athletes that have put in years of work for their shot at the team and may be displaced by an all-star season...

here is one example:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Wow. From the article:

..“My perspective as a parent is you have to go where they’re serious about playing football,” he said...

The problem summarized neatly.
Yes, the dad is a football coach but he is a parent first. Supposedly.

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is really nothing new, there was actually a lot of moving around or staying with host families to play sports. There a many kids from other states and Canada that come the Minnesota for HS hockey. Although the Canadians leave as soon as they turn 16 and can play juniors.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is really nothing new, there was actually a lot of moving around or staying with host families to play sports. There a many kids from other states and Canada that come the Minnesota for HS hockey. Although the Canadians leave as soon as they turn 16 and can play juniors.

It should encourage the others to train harder. Similar to giving athletic scholarships to international students. It pushes the ones that want to be pushed to be better.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has been a rash of announcements in the past 2 weeks from our top HS athletes in IL. All moving out of state to pursue their sport.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
While sports are important to my eldest daughter (she's a track kid...cross country/indoor and outdoor track), academics come first. I wish school districts would put their resources into figuring out the best ways to TEACH during all this. That would benefit ALL kids, not just the athletes.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
The difference is those transient kids were distributed across thousands of high schools in 48 states and there were still plenty of opportunities for others to play in the programs where they grew up. Not so much today.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
When an athletic scholarship can be worth north of $200K over 4 years, it certainly shines a different light on why many athletes and these families are seriously considering this. It is easy to sit back and judge them from the sidelines, IMO.

Kurt

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
When an athletic scholarship can be worth north of $200K over 4 years, it certainly shines a different light on why many athletes and these families are seriously considering this. It is easy to sit back and judge them from the sidelines, IMO.

Kurt
Completely.

Another similar things....A lot of merit based college scholarships are based on a matrix of test scores (ACT/SAT) vs GPA. These kids can't get their tests taken. My daughter, as an example, is a strong standardized test taker. So her merit aid is on the line, too because of all of this.

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure of the exact plan for ACT/SAT, but I know my kid just took the GRE. They are offering it in a format to take at home, which is what most kids are doing, and they are still offering it in testing centers, with just the test taker and a proctor. They managed to have kids take the AP tests, so I am sure they are going to make that work.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure of the exact plan for ACT/SAT, but I know my kid just took the GRE. They are offering it in a format to take at home, which is what most kids are doing, and they are still offering it in testing centers, with just the test taker and a proctor. They managed to have kids take the AP tests, so I am sure they are going to make that work.
Currently you cannot take the ACT/SAT.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP article is about kids in blue states moving to red states in order to continue their lives as they planned. I like it because it's a choice. Our governor declared that fall sports could start full-contact practices. Further decisions to play can now roll down all the way to the parent level.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Old Hickory Well, you've summed up a lot of the problems we are having in society in a few short sentences.

Here in the great state of IL, even private schools are now being told "no go".

Brett

Reaction score
@Old Hickory Well, you've summed up a lot of the problems we are having in society in a few short sentences.

Here in the great state of IL, even private schools are now being told "no go".

The OP article is about kids in blue states moving to red states in order to continue their lives as they planned. I like it because it's a choice. Our governor declared that fall sports could start full-contact practices. Further decisions to play can now roll down all the way to the parent level.

I think the article is more about an athlete going to college under the uncertainty of the pandemic and problems in playing sports this fall.

not sure it's about "problems in society" or people wanting to move to "red" states ...

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
About as good a strategy as moving to follow your kids.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Brett I don't know what you're reading but the article cited in the OP is about a top-ranked high school QB in Colorado choosing to move to Iowa in order to play his senior high school season.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
With athletes last spring and division 2 and 3 cancelling championships and d1 at the moment about half and half scholarships for the next few years will be harder to come by. Throw in all the schools cutting sports and the trickle down affect is there as well. It will be ugly. No matter what, revenue will be down which hurts.

Throw in PAC 12 and how Big 10 football players with their list of demands and the powers that be will be earning their pay cheques.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In Texas it is not uncommon for parents to hold their boys back a grade or two in elementary school to give them a better shot at high school and college football.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
In Texas it is not uncommon for parents to hold their boys back a grade or two in elementary school to give them a better shot at high school and college football.

A bit off topic here, but this reminded my about the dilemma we faced with our middle child - with a June birthday. Had we started him in school on time (per the calendar) he would have been the youngest (or very close to being the youngest) in his class. It would have also made only a two year gap between the oldest and middle child (that wasn't so much a concern). We opted to hold him out (at home) one more year since that was doable at the time and you can never get that year back.

In retrospect, I am very glad we did this and in talking to others who faced a similar scenario, NO ONE who opted to hold their child back a year regretted the decision and EVERY ONE who opted to send their child to school (with summer month birthdays) either regretted doing so or would have opted to wait a year. Not a scientific survey by any stretch but FWIW....

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic here, but this reminded my about the dilemma we faced with our middle child - with a June birthday. Had we started him in school on time (per the calendar) he would have been the youngest (or very close to being the youngest) in his class. It would have also made only a two year gap between the oldest and middle child (that wasn't so much a concern). We opted to hold him out (at home) one more year since that was doable at the time and you can never get that year back.

In retrospect, I am very glad we did this and in talking to others who faced a similar scenario, NO ONE who opted to hold their child back a year regretted the decision and EVERY ONE who opted to send their child to school (with summer month birthdays) either regretted doing so or would have opted to wait a year. Not a scientific survey by any stretch but FWIW....
I can verify this on the other side. Our youngest has a Nov birthday and we had the choice. We were deciding after kindergarten whether to do another year of that or send him on. The teacher said he was ready and we were leaning that way. He did fine until middle school then the immaturity set in and he struggled. He struggled with immaturity issues until junior year of high school. In retrospect we realized our decision was a mistake. It did work out fine in the long run but it was a struggle.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

And I think, in general, it makes more sense to hold a boy back w/ a late birthday vs. a girl, due to how they mature differently.

Kurt

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
My Brother had an August 3 Birthday and started on time without a problem. My middle child, a son, has an August 2 Birthday and started on time and never had a problem.