• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Relative Newbie- Experts, Analyze my Purchases and My Future Purchasing Thoughts

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have posted so far. I will look into the magazine and the RHC articles.

As I had stated earlier, I am open to suggestions as to what to change or give away, etc. I am sure I am not the only person on this board who has had to adjust their portfolio.

The way that these timeshares are set up, I have a vacation week in Mid-April (so I am not sure about the snowmobiling comment),

It seems like the responses are mostly based on monetary value, or profit taking, and that was not what I was necessarily asking. I would however, be interested to know everyone's thoughts on my future possibilities, so that I can get one of these done right going forward.

I want to have a balance of 1) decent trading power if I want to exchange, 2) reasonable MF's and 3) moderate to nice quality of room and amenities. However, when I go on vacation, I certainly don't spend a hell of a lot of time in the rooms, so a clean bathroom and a soft bed would be sufficient if push came to shove - provided the destination was a good one.

A lot of us have adjusted our ownerships after a while. I do not have a timeshare portfolio but I have sold off about 25 of my ownerships over the past 9 or so years. But more importantly IMHO I have adjusted my thinking in what makes a desireable timehare in regards too overall value.

The midwest April week will be a Mud week and/or have snow and based on my many Wisconsin rentals experiance over 8 years April is not a very nice time in the upper Midwest. You can get 2 bedroom units in the Midwest in April for about $199 and up.

Timeshares are a bit like homes, Location, Location, Location and the time of year is very important.

IMHO if you can rent the same weeks for less than the owners yearly maintenance fees then that owner owns a dog that most likely does not
trade very well.

IMHO I suggest dumping the dogs and look at more flexable point type systems after getting rid of what present ownerships that may not work for you like you wanted them to.

Or pay a little more (less say a extra $1,000 or so) and buy at a resort you want to stay and make up that satisfaction and saving on exchange fees every year that you enjoy using it.

You may be better off after selling some or all in keeping your RCI Membership active to still use their rentals, etc.

Good luck.

Bruce :D

Last edited:

Janie

Reaction score
Causeway on Gull: Too early for fishing in MN

Fishing season doesn't start until around Mother's Day (May) in Minnesota. Week 15 is a bad week to own in Minnesota: snow will have mostly melted (no snowmobiling); ice will probably still be on the lake (so no fishing) but ice too weak to ice fish, skate, or ski; too cold for most other outdoor activities. Many businesses in the area are not open in that season. Personally, I would not keep this week. It is a nice resort if you are OK with spending a week sitting in the condo.

I envy your purchase in France: I own several weeks at resorts in Europe, and even the off-season weeks trade very well.