• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

refund of deposit

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have worked with a renter and she paid a deposit on the unit (200). I have sent her a rental agreement waiting to be signed and exchanged emails for the terms... etc. for a few days. She wants to back out now after 2 days she paid for the deposit. Should I refund her 200 deposit?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have worked with a renter and she paid a deposit on the unit (200). I have sent her a rental agreement waiting to be signed and exchanged emails for the terms... etc. for a few days. She wants to back out now after 2 days she paid for the deposit. Should I refund her 200 deposit?

I'd say it depends. Did you stipulate the deposit was non-refundable?
Are you out any additional money at this stage?
Are you still able to rent the unit?

If I've already booked a week (in advance) and offer it up for rent, and someone backs out that quickly, and I still have time to rent it out, I would refund the money (less any processing fees PayPal may have charged me).

Given she backed out that quickly, it's probably a sign you don't want her as a renter, but I don't know all the particulars.

I never book anything (ie: someone wants a different week/etc) without them paying a non-refundable deposit AND getting a signed rental agreement. Once I have both, THEN I'll book (obviously if I cannot get the unit any longer, I will refund their deposit).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Should you be requesting a deposit before a signed contract? I thought the order would be as follows;
  1. Signed contract
  2. Receive deposit
  3. Put reservation in renter's name

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the help!! The deposit is non-refundable states in the agreement but it is not completely signed yet. I still have about 2 months that I can rent it. I want to rent it only because my points are expiring.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
In the end it depends on what is in the contract and/or what you decide is best. I had this happen, except the contract was signed and the deposit was in the mail. Since the prospective renter backed out the day after the contract was signed, I voided and tore the deposit check when it arrived. Per the contract, I could have kept the deposit, but decided otherwise. I ended up not renting the unit, and deposited it instead. No regrets.

ETA: I see you replied as I typed my reply. If I were in your situation, I'd refund the deposit. Although it's interesting you have a deposit without a signed contract.

Last edited:

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I requested the agreement be signed and send the deposit on the same date. She sent the money but did not sign the agreement.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I requested the agreement be signed and send the deposit on the same date. She sent the money but did not sign the agreement.

While this prospective renter clearly should not have sent a deposit to you before signing a contract, the fact remains that she did so (and then never subsequently signed a contract at all). In short summary, no executed contract exists, so the content of the rental agreement (including your proposed refund terms) are irrelevant.

I'd refund the deposit without further ado. You cannot enforce the "non-refundable" terms within a contract that was never executed. Prompt 100% refund is both the right and appropriate thing to do --- and you still have 2 months available to find another tenant.

Last edited:

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ok, this is fair. I was not going to keep the whole part of 200 dollar. it just I have worked on this for some time and I want other tuggers opinion.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
How did the renter pay and what recourse could they have? Paid by Paypal or credit card and can dispute causing more issues and more work? If so, I would just refund and move on.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
In the end it depends on what is in the contract and/or what you decide is best. I had this happen, except the contract was signed and the deposit was in the mail. Since the perspective renter backed out the day after the contract was signed, I voided and tore the deposit check when it arrived. Per the contract, I could have kept the deposit, but decided otherwise. I ended up not renting the unit, and deposited it instead. No regrets.

ETA: I see you replied as I typed my reply. If I were in your situation, I'd refund the deposit. Although it's interesting you have a deposit without a signed contract.

I agree. There is no contract. The prospective renter never signed it. (It is an unaccepted offer.) The unsigned rental agreement might as well be Aesop's Fables.

Return the $200 deposit and if you want, subtract any legitimate expenses. (I'd forget the PayPal commission -- not worth the trouble.) Move on. Not every potential deal will work out. That's life -- and business.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Refund cheerily and move on. It's a blessing your potential customer backed out quickly.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for everybody's chime in! I already told her that I will refund the money and no feelings hurt! I believe she is glad the result!

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
She will be delighted to receive the refund. Good luck finding the next renter.