• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek Rentals

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's another one...

I had a rental week in Orlando beginning 4/4 that was rented through Redweek. In the last 10 days, the renter requested a cancellation. Given that I was inside the 60 day window, I had very little flexibility on what to do with my week. By contract, I can require the renter to pay the full week fee. I don't feel comfortable doing that because it was out of their control. Too add to that, Marriott is no longer honoring these reservations, so the fact that the renter backed out is now a moot point.

I struggle with whether to simply allow the renter out of the contract, charge a partial fee because I had to enroll with II (would've happened anyway), or take some other approach. Regardless, Redweek won't even respond to my emails right now.

I'm curious as to what other Redweek rental folks are doing who have been impacted by this craziness?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recommend that you immediately deposit that week into Interval International even though you aren't that far out from the check in date. Marriott is currently able to deposit these near term reservations, and Interval will accept them.

Going this route will allow you "some" use of your week and you can worry about the Redweek situation at a later date.

Bottom line; make the best use of your week while you still can.

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recommend that you immediately deposit that week into Interval International even though you aren't that far out from the check in date. Marriott is currently able to deposit these near term reservations, and Interval will accept them.

Going this route will allow you "some" use of your week and you can worry about the Redweek situation at a later date.

Bottom line; make the best use of your week while you still can.

I've already done that. I just don't know what others are doing about their renters who have cancelled.

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
I've already done that. I just don't know what others are doing about their renters who have cancelled.
I think asking what others are doing can be helpful to know, but in the end, it is what we personally are comfortable doing. Redweek as an advertising site would not have much of a voice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I've rented my NCV week thru redweek for checkin next week and unsure what to do if renter asks for refund.

So far I've done nothing.

teddyo333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana:
Westin Kierland (x2)
WKORV - OV (x2)
Desert Oasis (x6)
Vistana Villages - Bella
Vistana Villages - Key West
Sheraton Broadway Plantation (2BR Lockout)
Marriott:
Marriott Grande Ocean
I had the same issue with a Hilton Head Sunset Pointe Rental that begins on 4/4. I was able to negotiate with the renter since MVC will be giving me an II exchange certificate (valid until Dec 2021) due to late cancellation. I will make a reservation for the renter for later in the year (He already informed me of the dates he is interested in). If I am unable to get the dates requested the renter still has until Dec 2021 to find dates that work for him.

Hobee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Barony Beach, OceanWatch, SurfWatchx2 MountainSide, Aruba Ocean Club; MVC Trust Points
A few years ago I had a Fall Hilton Head Week rented. I recall that the resort closed the day before check-in due to a hurricane. I consulted with the renter, and we worked it out that I returned 50% of the rental charge. We both agreed that was fair since the situation was through no fault of either party. The week was not deposited with II and was lost to future use.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This whole "accept late deposits and cancellation exceptions" is a house of cards that will eventually collapse. All of the unused inventory simply goes poof as each week passes. The same people clamoring for these policies will be complaining that there is no inventory when they go to book.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
I think asking what others are doing can be helpful to know, but in the end, it is what we personally are comfortable doing. Redweek as an advertising site would not have much of a voice.
I rented my Maui Ocean Club to a friend of mine. He was supposed to go last Friday but didn't feel comfortable. I had to get an Interval International account to deposit it because I've never had one or done that before (because I just use or rent my MOC weeks). It looks like I got it in just under the wire. My friend has agreed that he will take a vacation through the exchange at a later date. I paid the fee to sign up and probably will pay the fee to switch the certificate to a guest cert. He might not get MOC but we both at least get something, it's better than nothing.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean that Marriott is no longer honoring these reservations. Can you give details please?

For that resort?

For all resorts?

I know they aren’t letting you make new reservations but haven’t gotten any emails regarding existing upcoming reservations.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This whole "accept late deposits and cancellation exceptions" is a house of cards that will eventually collapse. All of the unused inventory simply goes poof as each week passes. The same people clamoring for these policies will be complaining that there is no inventory when they go to book.

This could be true, however I don't think it is an actual reality. I think that Interval International has many reservations each year that are never reserved due to people who never utilize reserving a trade (i.e. forgetfulness, death, money issues, etc.).

It would be interesting to see what % of trades available are actually reserved but I don't think we will ever really know that.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Too add to that, Marriott is no longer honoring these reservations, so the fact that the renter backed out is now a moot point.

Why is MVC not honoring owner reservations in Orlando? Here at Marriott's Koolina they are honoring reservations by owners using weeks or points. The only reservations they are turning away are rentals from marriott.com website or I would think encore packages.

Nice empty resort at 50% occupancy. Although almost everything is shut down. Doesn't bother my family and I as we hardly use the resort amenities. Take that back, I like to use the hot tubs and that is closed.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too like the lower occupancy here at OP. Can you get out on the beach at Ko Olina?

I looked at my point reservations for 4/4 and 4/11. They are still in my upcoming reservations. I haven't gotten any emails from either resort about them not being honored.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Why is MVC not honoring owner reservations in Orlando? Here at Marriott's Koolina they are honoring reservations by owners using weeks or points. The only reservations they are turning away are rentals from marriott.com website or I would think encore packages.

Nice empty resort at 50% occupancy. Although almost everything is shut down. Doesn't bother my family and I as we hardly use the resort amenities. Take that back, I like to use the hot tubs and that is closed.

Under the orders issued that I believe take effect today, anyone arriving now must stay in their room for 14 days. That's a pretty powerful deterrent to going there.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
No
I too like the lower occupancy here at OP. Can you get out on the beach at Ko Olina?

I looked at my point reservations for 4/4 and 4/11. They are still in my upcoming reservations. I haven't gotten any emails from either resort about them not being honored.
No beach access or beach boardwalk access. Pools closed as of today along with the 14 day mandatory quarantine required for all arrivals in Hawaii. Spoke with the front desk yesterday and occupancy is under 20%. It will go down over the next couple of weeks with many currently here returning home and very few checking in. Marriott Ko Olina and I believe all other Hawaii timeshares are prohibited from booking or extending any reservation through Apr. 23rd.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under the orders issued that I believe take effect today, anyone arriving now must stay in their room for 14 days. That's a pretty powerful deterrent to going there.

In Orlando? That can't be true. They are not under quarantine. I think the OP is wrong. Marriott is still honoring owner reservations.

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Orlando? That can't be true. They are not under quarantine. I think the OP is wrong. Marriott is still honoring owner reservations.
OK - perhaps I am wrong, but I thought all reservations in the month of April were being cancelled by Marriott? I was strongly urged to cancel, and so I did and deposited by week into II. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the renter now.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Yes. Sorry. That's Hawaii. I forget sometimes there is anywhere else in the world. :) The original post I was replying to was from Oahu.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Lagoons are closed and for visitors arriving there is a 14 day self quarantine. Even if beaches were open, you would not be able to go out and about until the 15th day.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes that is. I live on Oahu any way. Booked these weeks almost a year ago so locked down here or at home is the same. Well here I pay $17 a day tax but I save on water and electricity bill for staying at MKO instead of at home.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No

No beach access or beach boardwalk access. Pools closed as of today along with the 14 day mandatory quarantine required for all arrivals in Hawaii. Spoke with the front desk yesterday and occupancy is under 20%. It will go down over the next couple of weeks with many currently here returning home and very few checking in. Marriott Ko Olina and I believe all other Hawaii timeshares are prohibited from booking or extending any reservation through Apr. 23rd.
I guess I am lucky as I am not booking or extending a reservation. But I am here till June 12 and the manager assured me my bookings will be honored unless they are ordered to shutdown by the government.

FD multiple times and just this morning mentioned to me occupancy is around 50%.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
OK - perhaps I am wrong, but I thought all reservations in the month of April were being cancelled by Marriott? I was strongly urged to cancel, and so I did and deposited by week into II. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the renter now.
Only rental reservations were being cancelled, that being cash and Bonvoy points rentals on Marriott.com. Owner reservations and II exchange configurations are still in tact.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
I guess I am lucky as I am not booking or extending a reservation. But I am here till June 12 and the manager assured me my bookings will be honored unless they are ordered to shutdown by the government.

FD multiple times and just this morning mentioned to me occupancy is around 50%.

Good information that bookings will be honored. Hard to believe 50% occupancy. The Hale Moana building yesterday looked completely empty. Only one other room occupied on our floor in Hale Naia. We are here through May 13th at the moment but a 2 day gap that will likely require us to check out Apr. 8th and back in on Apr. 10th. Plan to stay at the Residents Inn Oahu Kapolei if required