• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek rentals - Sales tax to add?

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Looking to rent a week on Redweek but I get this message in the pricing section in an extra box for tax.
"Florida requires the collection of sales tax on short-term rentals, which you will need to collect and remit"
As a non US resident how does this work?

I think I have seen similar on Ritz Vail.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to rent a week on Redweek but I get this message in the pricing section in an extra box for tax.
"Florida requires the collection of sales tax on short-term rentals, which you will need to collect and remit"
As a non US resident how does this work?

I think I have seen similar on Ritz Vail.
Very odd. I had 2 weeks that I posted and rented in Florida recently. Was not subject to this rule?
As a US resident Redweek wanted my info for US Taxes.
This must be something new for Florida?
Wonder if it is a local County requirement? I rented Ocean Pointe in Palm Beach County?
What county is your rental located?
Would be interested in what other Tuggers know about this rule?

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I do not own timeshares in Florida. But there are other states where there are resort taxes, etc. South Carolina timeshares have such taxes and fees.

I've found the easiest way to address this is to rent my units using Redweek in such a way as to have them add on, collect, and remit the taxes to the tax authorities. I appreciate this aspect of Redweek's service. I know there are some who try to skate around this and accept the risk.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
This is new, and Redweek does charge taxes to the guest when you use the verify and protected option, so you don't have to worry about the taxes. I think it's a gamble to try to rent yourself without charging and remitting taxes, and I don't want to do that.

Same with go-koala.com Let them remit the taxes. With Koala, there is no upfront fee, but I admit to renting far more with RW but Koala is no risk because you don't get charged anything until the unit rents, and the amount is confirmed upfront. It's a very easy way to rent.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps that's why I never encountered this since I used Redweek full service?
I have listed with Koala last year and this year. Struck out each time. Redweek gets me renting.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have listed with Koala last year and this year. Struck out each time. Redweek gets me renting.
If you are using Full Service then Redweek is going to automatically collect the occupancy/sales taxes.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Same with go-koala.com Let them remit the taxes.
Do they collect taxes on rental transactions. Any time I have looked, the only additional fees listed was the booking fee.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Thanks, Redweek - The taxes and fees are somewhat invisible until you click to make a reservation. The reservation will show the rental amount and an additional amount. Click on that and the details will show. So, the renter is charged for the rent, taxes and fees when they book the reservation online.

I think Redweek got it right with what they are doing. My interest started while I was listing a Myrtle Beach for rent. I noted there were taxes and started researching the process - what a nuisance with opening a special state or local account, etc. Redweek made it simple!

Last edited:

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Thanks all, ye will just let them do it as don't need the headache. Just wasn't sure how it all worked. So the amount you post it with for Redweek is what you get and they pop the taxes on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Koala is so new, we need to spread the word on Koala. There are a lot of listings on Koala, but there is a definite shortage of renters on Koala. I did rent Dolphin's Cove for spring break next year. I was thrilled to finally get something rented on Koala again.

Redweek is clearly the winner for my rentals, but they have a monopoly, and monopolies are not a good thing. Here's hoping that Koala can compete in this market of rentals. Redweek already has sales and an audience for rentals.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Koala is so new, we need to spread the word on Koala. There are a lot of listings on Koala, but there is a definite shortage of renters on Koala. I did rent Dolphin's Cove for spring break next year. I was thrilled to finally get something rented on Koala again.

Redweek is clearly the winner for my rentals, but they have a monopoly, and monopolies are not a good thing. Here's hoping that Koala can compete in this market of rentals. Redweek already has sales and an audience for rentals.
I will definitely keep listing with Koala