• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek rental question

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I asked my customer service person if RedWeek.com collected and paid taxes. She said RW does not pay taxes. I sent a snarky response that full service doesn't mean what it says. She sent me the things that are checked in the column under Verified and Protected (without comment!).

I sniffed around on the website for a bit and found this in FAQ.

Do I need to collect taxes?
Many jurisdictions do require timeshare owners to collect and remit sales and lodging taxes when renting. If you use online booking, we partner with Avalara to collect and remit taxes for you. If you don't, you will need to research, collect, and remit on your own.

Online booking is another $10.

Now, your reservation leads me to believe that RW is collecting the tax but not paying it, rather giving it to the owner. What's the service fee about? Is that different than the $99 that RW gets? Or is it resort related?

This Florida tax is really odious. Every resort becomes a "partner" and each requires a monthly filing, regardless of whether or not you had a rental at that resort that month. I can think back to when I probably had as many as a dozen Florida resorts where I rented weeks. Each location has to be researched because the Florida tax is a certain percentage of the rental and many jurisdictions have an additional tax. The total state and local tax for Brevard County (Cocoa Beach) was 12% at the time.

I was late filing on my one and only rental. Florida waived the penalty because I was new and sounded stupid, I guess. I can't find the email that waived the penalty so I can't say for sure what the penalty would have been. My recollection is that it was not a trivial sum.

I had four weeks at The Resort on Cocoa Beach and had been using two and renting or trying to rent the other two. I sold the two weeks I'd been renting, primarily because of the Florida Sales and Use tax.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So I think the customer service person that you spoke with was wrong. I think the answer is- it depends. If Redweek is required to notify the county (or local juristiction and collect the taxes, they do and pass that fee onto the renter and remit it for you and the $99 covers that (but you also have to pay the $99 if they collect the money and it happens to be somewhere that doesn't require them to report it). I believe there may be some places that don't require it of redweek but still requires it of the owner. In those cases redweek doesn't report that there was a rental, doesn't collect any taxes but just as if the owner did a diy rental, the taxes are still legally required. So in that case it is up to you to do the leg work. The $10 part of the fee is the verification part of the rental.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
So now Redweek is charging "$99 when rented" for "Do It Yourself" rentals also. It is not clear to me what the $99 is for when I am doing all the work and not requiring anything from them.

It's time to look for other rental options.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So now Redweek is charging "$99 when rented" for "Do It Yourself" rentals also. It is not clear to me what the $99 is for when I am doing all the work and not requiring anything from them.

It's time to look for other rental options.
It is for DIY verified & protected. Redweek is collecting the payment and remitting taxes. If applicable. There is a past thread on this topic.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
It is for DIY verified & protected. Redweek is collecting the payment and remitting taxes. If applicable. There is a past thread on this topic.
When I go to Redweek now they don't give me an option to not verify. I only get the following options:

1716331606507.png

The above self-service option states that there is also a $99 charge when rented. There used to be 3 options: Full Service, DIY with verification/protected, and DIY without verification; and neither of the DIY options required a $99 fee when rented. Also, the above DIY option requires you to use Red Weeks online booking & rental agreement.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The bargain is the $59 + $99. RW takes the credit card payments, answers questions they can answer, basically do all of the work. You get paid after the rental starts. The $49 price is not a good deal because you still take payment and still have to worry about a renter backing out.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
When I go to Redweek now they don't give me an option to not verify. I only get the following options:

View attachment 93243
The above self-service option states that there is also a $99 charge when rented. There used to be 3 options: Full Service, DIY with verification/protected, and DIY without verification; and neither of the DIY options required a $99 fee when rented. Also, the above DIY option requires you to use Red Weeks online booking & rental agreement.
I think you are seeing their new posting wizard. There is a link at the top to switch back. I also noticed if I turned off adblocker that the old posting flow shows up with all the options. They are getting more sneaky.
1716337786893.png

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you are seeing their new posting wizard. There is a link at the top to switch back. I also noticed if I turned off adblocker that the old posting flow shows up with all the options. They are getting more sneaky.
View attachment 93251
You are correct. I would have never noticed that link to switch back to the old view.

Thanks!

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bargain is the $59 + $99. RW takes the credit card payments, answers questions they can answer, basically do all of the work. You get paid after the rental starts. The $49 price is not a good deal because you still take payment and still have to worry about a renter backing out.

Although even with "full service" you still have to worry about the renter backing out, given Redweek's past with COVID and other things where they basically screwed the owners.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Why would you have to worry if a renter backed out? You would have a rental agreement with the cancellation terms and would of already been paid. i'd be much more worries about RW holding the payment until after check in, after check in when the cons start complaining and get the rental for free.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you have to worry if a renter backed out? You would have a rental agreement with the cancellation terms and would of already been paid. i'd be much more worries about RW holding the payment until after check in, after check in when the cons start complaining and get the rental for free.

Because in the past, there were people who had a "no refunds"/strict cancellation and due to COVID (even though the resort was open), redweek kept the money from the owner and refunded the renter because the renter backed out.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I had people who tried to back out of our Westin Maui after the fire. I had reservations for March 2024, and I had people who were asking me through RW to let them out of the contract. I told them through the RW service that Ka'anapali didn't burn, the resort is open, and I am not going to let RW cancel it.

I have in my contract (that I got from TUG) that a person can't cancel at 60 days or less but lose their 50% down if they cancel. But how am I going to enforce that and fight with a lawyer, should someone pursue me for their 50% back. I am not going to fight anyone, but RW will do it for me.

The Westin Ka'anapali Oceanfront studio and one bedrooms are pretty nice. I cannot imagine RW backing down. I am also on Maui at the same time, so I can always talk to the resort myself, should someone complain. I don't think that happens often.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Because in the past, there were people who had a "no refunds"/strict cancellation and due to COVID (even though the resort was open), redweek kept the money from the owner and refunded the renter because the renter backed out.
I understand that Redweek tightened up their contracts after Covid?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I understand that Redweek tightened up their contracts after Covid?

No, they did not. They just put up a warning for guests on their website that Covid is a known risk and that guests can no longer back out.

Redweek screwing owners during Covid had nothing to do with contracts, it was Redweek's business decision. Not letting guests cancel for a full refund and force them either travel during Covid or lose money would be very bad optics for Redweek and disastrous for their reputation among guests. Screwing owners was an easy decision. Redweek even encouraged guests to cancel if they didn't want to travel, regardless of cancellation policy. If something like this happens again - epidemic, war, etc, Redweek will not hesitate to screw owners again, regardless of any contracts.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
My post was in response to a private non-red week rental. seem's like I misunderstood the OP comments.