• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek rental question

snackyx

Reaction score
Quick question: I am considering renting a week posted on Redweek ( not Redweek verified) in Hawaii. I have never rented a unit before. If the listing is posted by a broker on Redweek, is there still risk of this being a scam? What are the safety nets that I, as a renter, would have?
Thanks in advance for any general information.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can start by reading this sticky, which has lot of good advice no matter how you rent a timeshare.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Redweek is a very good sight to rent vacations
Everyone has to be a member, having personal information for all of us cuts down on the “scammers” who generally stay away from providing personal info.

Most of us are just trying to rent our extra weeks, verified cost more money.
Most of you just want a vacation, because we know you’re a member, we are more comfortable renting to you.

Trust goes both ways

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
With Redweek, the biggest safety net is to rent a week labeled "Verified & Protected". That means Redweek has confirmed everything behind the scenes. There will always be some risk, but this way is an added precaution for you as the renter. There are still what appear to be scammers, or people who post a week for rent, but it's not actually available when you go to inquire. Just be diligent, ask lots of questions, verify what you can. Redweek is a good platform for both parties, and even those that are not verified can still be a successful transaction.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
With Redweek, the biggest safety net is to rent a week labeled "Verified & Protected". That means Redweek has confirmed everything behind the scenes. There will always be some risk, but this way is an added precaution for you as the renter. There are still what appear to be scammers, or people who post a week for rent, but it's not actually available when you go to inquire. Just be diligent, ask lots of questions, verify what you can. Redweek is a good platform for both parties, and even those that are not verified can still be a successful transaction.
I disagree. I can send a confirmation right away, after the renter pays me. I have some of my rentals as verified and protected, but some are not.

I don't think you will be a member of Redweek very long if you aren't following through with a rental that is not verified.

That being said, Koala does all of the verifications and protects the renter without any fee at all. I use Koala a lot more than Redweek now. No risk, no charges to me. I pay after the rental and get the guaranteed payout I want.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

I disagree:

1. Redweek's "verification" consists of them looking at the confirmation - that's it. They do not confirm everything behind the scenes. Any renter can do the same thing.

2. Redweek's rental service is slow and often indifferent - lots of posts about this on TUG. Many experienced owners will not use their Verified and Protected Service, because the owner can do a better job renting their timeshare themselves. (ME!)

3. It's unusual to find a scammer on Redweek, because Redweek does a good job of kicking them off, but an inexperienced renter may simply be nervous about the rental process.

4. Verified and Protected is risky for owners, because Redweek can and has kept owner's payments, and can and has given renters a refund, without even discussing it with the owner, regardless of what the rental agreement says.

NO THANK YOU!

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick question: I am considering renting a week posted on Redweek ( not Redweek verified) in Hawaii. I have never rented a unit before. If the listing is posted by a broker on Redweek, is there still risk of this being a scam? What are the safety nets that I, as a renter, would have?

One thing to look at is how long the renter has been a member of redweek. It's right under the posters name. If they are long time members it reduces the chances of a bad outcome. Also before you rent ask about resort fees and taxes. Renters may be subject to resort fees that owners are not. Once you have made payment arrangements they will email you a confirmation with your name on it. If you want to double check call the resort after you get it to verify that it is legit. Good luck and have fun.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I disagree:

1. Redweek's "verification" consists of them looking at the confirmation - that's it. They do not confirm everything behind the scenes. Any renter can do the same thing.

2. Redweek's rental service is slow and often indifferent - lots of posts about this on TUG. Many experienced owners will not use their Verified and Protected Service, because the owner can do a better job renting their timeshare themselves. (ME!)

3. It's unusual to find a scammer on Redweek, because Redweek does a good job of kicking them off, but an inexperienced renter may simply be nervous about the rental process.

4. Verified and Protected is risky for owners, because Redweek can and has kept owner's payments, and can and has given renters a refund, without even discussing it with the owner, regardless of what the rental agreement says.

NO THANK YOU!
Exactly!

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at it from a renters perspective as opposed to someone who is renting a timeshare verified and protected is a good way to start renting timeshares. First reason is you use a credit card to rent the property as opposed to sending a check, venmo or paypal to someone you do not know. The next thing is the first time I rented I time share I did not know anything about the process of doing it. I send someone a check and waited a few weeks to get a guest certificate with my name on it. Nothing went wrong but always a bit of worry when waiting for some documentation. The verified and protected holds your hand through all of that. The one thing I will say is that when they say 3 days to get the certificate it is more like 7 to 10 but they will send an email or two explaining what is going on while you are waiting.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at it from a renters perspective as opposed to someone who is renting a timeshare verified and protected is a good way to start renting timeshares. First reason is you use a credit card to rent the property as opposed to sending a check, venmo or paypal to someone you do not know. The next thing is the first time I rented I time share I did not know anything about the process of doing it. I send someone a check and waited a few weeks to get a guest certificate with my name on it. Nothing went wrong but always a bit of worry when waiting for some documentation. The verified and protected holds your hand through all of that. The one thing I will say is that when they say 3 days to get the certificate it is more like 7 to 10 but they will send an email or two explaining what is going on while you are waiting.

A good owner will respond within a day or so and let the renter know all the details about the process (ie: sign a rental agreement, PayPal invoice/credit card, etc.) Given redweek's past history of not notifying and not paying (or rather refunding) I'll never do the Protected portion.

But I can understand a first time person seeking to rent that they would prefer the verified and protected since they don't know the inner workings of Redweek or their past behavior.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I send the confirmation as soon as I get 50% down.

I have been a member of Redweek for about 10 years as a timeshare owner. I think people can trust me, and they do trust me. Redweek made a decision to put my listings below the verified and protected, which is not a good move.

Let's just say that I have a lot of experience renting, and if Redweek wants to verify and protect and charge me the fee at the end of the rental, that is fine by me, but don't charge me upfront and then not get my week rented. I don't like throwing money away.

I take credit card payments through Paypal and also send a contract, a contract that I found on TUG.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A good owner will respond within a day or so and let the renter know all the details about the process (ie: sign a rental agreement, PayPal invoice/credit card, etc.) Given redweek's past history of not notifying and not paying (or rather refunding) I'll never do the Protected portion.

But I can understand a first time person seeking to rent that they would prefer the verified and protected since they don't know the inner workings of Redweek or their past behavior.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Renters may be subject to resort fees that owners are not.
Actually, in most cases, renters are considered the guests of owners, and pay the same fees that owners pay. Remember - the resort doesn't know who is a renter.

First reason is you use a credit card to rent the property as opposed to sending a check, venmo or paypal to someone you do not know.
You can use a credit card on Paypal, and if necessary, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company, exactly like a direct credit card payment.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
First reason is you use a credit card to rent the property as opposed to sending a check, venmo or paypal to someone you do not know
This is definitely safer, but you pay an extra 7 or 8 percent which isn't revealed until the final payment stage. It can get pricey on the more expensive rentals.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is definitely safer, but you pay an extra 7 or 8 percent which isn't revealed until the final payment stage. It can get pricey on the more expensive rentals.

What type of payment adds on 7-8%?

MichaelT01

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Smokey Mountain Resort (Gatlinburg)
HICV Panama City Beach
I disagree. I can send a confirmation right away, after the renter pays me. I have some of my rentals as verified and protected, but some are not.

I don't think you will be a member of Redweek very long if you aren't following through with a rental that is not verified.

That being said, Koala does all of the verifications and protects the renter without any fee at all. I use Koala a lot more than Redweek now. No risk, no charges to me. I pay after the rental and get the guaranteed payout I want.
Just getting setup for renting my HICV time share. I see you referenced RedWeek ( which I had previously looked into), and Koala (hadn’t heard of them)!
If you had an opinion…which is preferable and why?
Thank you

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just getting setup for renting my HICV time share. I see you referenced RedWeek ( which I had previously looked into), and Koala (hadn’t heard of them)!
Thank you
Redweek has more traffic, which is great, and I get most of my rentals from Redweek. You have to pay to list on Redweek. It's not free.

go-koala.com is free to list. As you are listing your weeks for rent, you will see the net price you will receive after the 8% commission is taken out. You can adjust your price anytime you want, if you feel it's too low or too high.

I keep hoping go-koala.com will take off and become a big player in the timeshare rental industry, but so far it's been iffy for me, but it's free, and you cannot beat free.

I have all of my units for spring break weeks near Disneyland listed on go-koala.com. Last year they rented easily, this year, not one that I listed has rented. I didn't cancel them when I could to get my points back, mostly because I assumed the demand would be there and they would rent within 60 days. I guessed wrong, maybe?

Now I am within 30-45 days for each week. I have four of them. I have to cancel within 15 days of the start date of the rental to get 80% of my points back. This is Shell. I am deeding back my Shell soon. These are all two bedroom units. I have no idea why nothing is renting. I have them listed on Redweek as well. What a waste of money that has been for these weeks.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Thank you
I do both as well. It’s been a tough season this year though. I normally have my weeks rented 30 days min but this year, I have had to cancel.

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Midtown 45, Santa Barbara, Avenue Plaza
I’m a Wyndham owner and have used both services RedWeek offers. I prefer to use the verified service to avoid any problems or concerns a renter may have. It costs a few bucks more but it’s worth peace of mind for me and the renter. That being said, if most resorts operate similarly to Wyndham, modifying a reservation is simple to do for the owner. Wyndham sends a confirmation, to the email provided. Sometimes Wyndham will contact the owner to precheck the guest a week - to 10 days before check in. If you do not hear from them, contact the resort directly to preregister and confirm your reservation. With verified service, RedWeek doesn’t release the funds to the owner until after check in happens. If you pay directly, you might want to ask the owner to forward you confirmation your name is on the reservation before you pay then contact the resort to confirm it again. RedWeek does have a complaint process if things don’t go as smoothly as you’d like.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m a Wyndham owner and have used both services RedWeek offers. I prefer to use the verified service to avoid any problems or concerns a renter may have. It costs a few bucks more but it’s worth peace of mind for me and the renter. That being said, if most resorts operate similarly to Wyndham, modifying a reservation is simple to do for the owner. Wyndham sends a confirmation, to the email provided. Sometimes Wyndham will contact the owner to precheck the guest a week - to 10 days before check in. If you do not hear from them, contact the resort directly to preregister and confirm your reservation. With verified service, RedWeek doesn’t release the funds to the owner until after check in happens. If you pay directly, you might want to ask the owner to forward you confirmation your name is on the reservation before you pay then contact the resort to confirm it again. RedWeek does have a complaint process if things don’t go as smoothly as you’d like.
It works simply, yes, until Wyndham cancels your reservation and accuses you of renting commercially. Be careful.

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Redweek has more traffic, which is great, and I get most of my rentals from Redweek. You have to pay to list on Redweek. It's not free.

go-koala.com is free to list. As you are listing your weeks for rent, you will see the net price you will receive after the 8% commission is taken out. You can adjust your price anytime you want, if you feel it's too low or too high.

I keep hoping go-koala.com will take off and become a big player in the timeshare rental industry, but so far it's been iffy for me, but it's free, and you cannot beat free.

I have all of my units for spring break weeks near Disneyland listed on go-koala.com. Last year they rented easily, this year, not one that I listed has rented. I didn't cancel them when I could to get my points back, mostly because I assumed the demand would be there and they would rent within 60 days. I guessed wrong, maybe?

Now I am within 30-45 days for each week. I have four of them. I have to cancel within 15 days of the start date of the rental to get 80% of my points back. This is Shell. I am deeding back my Shell soon. These are all two bedroom units. I have no idea why nothing is renting. I have them listed on Redweek as well. What a waste of money that has been for these weeks.
Isn’t Shell now part of Wyndham? Wyndham allows points return as long as you cancel 14 days or more before check in.

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It works simply, yes, until Wyndham cancels your reservation and accuses you of renting commercially. Be careful.
Wyndham encourages rentals to pay maintenance fees. Years ago, their sales staff recommended RedWeek. Now they try to steer you to Extra Holidays. You can give EH a whole week but they might rent out only a part of that week and you have to eat the rest. I went back to RedWeek because they will rent out the entire reservation vs a partial reservation.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Isn’t Shell now part of Wyndham? Wyndham allows points return as long as you cancel 14 days or more before check in.
No, that's not true with Shell. We have owned Shell for 10 years, it's different.