• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek questions

jazzeah

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are using Redweek for the 1st time and I don;t think I understand how it works. It mentions a 7% SC usage tax? What is that and who pays that the renter or the person renting the unit? It is a last-minute rental so do folks normally ask for the whole fee upfront or still 1/2 and then 1/2 when we put it in their name? So much easier when we rented through tug members but no takers for our unit this time around.

Any other advice or tips on how Redweeks works will be helpful since i guess we will be using them now

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you live in an area with a NextDoor forum, place an ad there. It's free. People like to rent from people who live nearby.
I would also try go-koala.com. It's free to set up the ad. You'll be done in 5 minuntes, and it tends to have an east coast audience. They take 8% of the proceeds, so build that into your asking price.

Show the buyer the reservation in your name to prove you have it. Then, speak to them on the phone, and see whether they're anxious or ready to close to the deal. If skittish, ask for at least $100 , or up to 1/2 the rent amount to put it in their name, and the balance after they have the reservation in their name.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Usage tax? Makes sense, Airbnb has taxes built into all rentals, wherever they are. Except you need to know how it's charged and who pays it to figure out what your net cost is.

go-koala.com is another site you can list a timeshare. No upfront fee to list, but they do make money from the rentals. You know immediately after entering your asking price what your net will be, and you can adjust the price to make sure you get the amount you want or need to get. If it rents through Redweek, great, but you could give Koala a try for $0 and see how it works for you.

I have rented a lot of my weeks through go-koala.com but Redweek sometimes comes through before Koala. I just like having twice the chance of renting. Too bad TUG didn't work for you as it usually does.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
How successful is renting on go-koala? I have never heard of it so I wonder if they have many customers yet.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The SC tax is something that SC is forcing redweek to collect. The person paying to rent pays the fee. Technically it is required that everyone who rents out a unit in SC remit this payment, but the gov't doesn't have the means or where with all to go after people who rent and collect the money outside of various internet platforms. If you don't use redweeks payment platform, it won't be collected. If I am collecting the money for a last minute rental, I typically ask for $100 initially and the rest once the guest is added to the reservation and the confirmation is forwarded to the person renting the unit.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
How successful is renting on go-koala? I have never heard of it so I wonder if they have many customers yet.
You can look at the website and see the listings. I find it disorganized compared to Redweek. Maybe I am just so used to Redweek, I maneuver it better.

I think Koala needs to make it easier to search. I have rented things on koala that I have not been able to rent on Redweek over the last fews, specifically my Sheraton Broadway Plantation weeks are doing well on Koala, and I am renting Peacock Suites in Anaheim. I only get my cost back on that one, but at least I can rent through Koala.

I think my success with go-koala.com is that less people list ordinary resorts like Peacock Suites, and so people search for Anaheim and find it and think my price is reasonable.

I like that I don't have to pay for ads on Koala but still have listings on Redweek. I like both.