• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek makes renting Marriotts cheap and easy

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For those that are leery or unaware of how easy it is to rent your prime Marriott week, please look into Redweek and try it out. It has worked every time for me, and I've never gotten a shady person yet. Its a great way to get a good return on your initial investment, if you can't use your week.

I bought a 2nd Maui week because I wanted to assure me Pres week every year, but being able to rent is what lead me to the other weeks I purchased. And Redweek comes through every time.

I think this might be useful infor to someone who is hedging about buying another week. If you buy 2 high demand weeks, you can rent one every year to offset your cost significantly, and get the prime weeks that everyone covets with the 13 month rule.

I'm not trying to give RW free advertising, just provide TUGGERS with sage advice from someone who has tried them all. I think its $20 for yearly membership and $20 for 6 month ad. I put my ads up at 7 months from check-in and almost immediately people start "kicking the tires".

I have found that from 12 to 7 months the bargain hunters are out. At 7 months the masses come out and deals are made. If you are patience and reject low offers, you will get your asking price.

I've rented 4 of my weeks in the last month through RW, my 2 Maui and 2 GO, all at the asking price. One of the renters was sellmytimeshare.com for one of their clients, so even the rental brokers check out RW.

I really thought in 2009, we would see a real reduction in rental fees, but so far I have not seen that to be the case. In fact I've seen the best numbers ever this year.

Regards.
Joe

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Thanks Joe

I never tried Redweek and thought this year might be a bad year for rentals . It's nice to hear that someone is renting!

skifast

Reaction score
I put an ad in for spring break last week (about 7 months out), and have had no action yet. I am trying RedWeek this year instead of VRBO, because you have said it works well for you.
I am hoping so!
Will update as I get action and when it rents.

malago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui

I used Redweek for our July 2008 (2BR OV) for rent at $3,200 and could not rented. Maybe most people do not need a 2BR. Don't know. So....i ended up depositing with II.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used Redweek for our July 2008 (2BR OV) for rent at $3,200 and could not rented. Maybe most people do not need a 2BR. Don't know. So....i ended up depositing with II.

The difference I believe is the weeks that we are offering for rent. If you look at the demand grid it shows weeks 5, 31, 51, 52 as the highest demand week. Followed by 25, 7, 26, 27 then 1 and 6. I always secure a week somewhere high in the demand list and Redweek has always come through. After I rent I usually keep the ad up just to see if there is more interest, and after renting my 2 weeks, I had another inquiry. I had thought that Summer weeks were just as in demand as winter weeks but it is really just a few that are. I'd study the demand grid and select a good week to rent, if that is what you are looking to do.

I wouldn't own more than 1 or two weeks if I couldn't rent my excess weeks. I've had a good run since 2000 but I thought this year was really going to test my program, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Regards.
Joe

Last edited:

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes i agree. REDWEEK has come thru for me in the past. that being said, this year(2008) my units did not rent. i don't however blame REDWEEK for this. i blame the sinking economy and the airfares and other charges the airlines have imposed. i still use REDWEEK and have posted my rentals for 2009 on the site and have had an inquiry just today. so here's hoping.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe:
Glad to hear this. Do you pretty much stick to the rental advice on TUG? I have never rented a week, but am looking to rent at least my 1br MOC in 2010. I am hoping to at least cover the MF and costs, if not pocket a little. I am not really sure if MOC can rent that high, though. The MF are something like 1400 for my unit (EOY, but I would still need about 1500 to cover MF and rental cost).

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Site

I love Redweek (I love TUG too).

Their best feature is that they send members an email alert when there is a new listing for a Timeshare location of interest. I monitor MOC (for sales) and Timber Lodge (for rentals) this way. And the listings are separated by resort and easy to find.

I also listed my TS for sale (not really interested in selling, but would try to get the wife to agree if a buyer came down from heaven). Sadly, I keep getting frequent email alerts from Redweek that another TS at MOC has been added for sale. So far not one Lahaina Villa MOC has sold even though the listings continue to grow.

I caution would be buyers of TSs, who want to become landlords, that I have found the best rentals on II (often at prices that are less than 1/2 of the yearly maintenance fees for the resort). For example, I'm renting a week in Timber Lodge in December from II for $299 (with a full kitchen and fire place). We almost rented a week in Palm Springs from II that is rediculously cheap.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe:
Glad to hear this. Do you pretty much stick to the rental advice on TUG? I have never rented a week, but am looking to rent at least my 1br MOC in 2010. I am hoping to at least cover the MF and costs, if not pocket a little. I am not really sure if MOC can rent that high, though. The MF are something like 1400 for my unit (EOY, but I would still need about 1500 to cover MF and rental cost).

Again it depends on what week you get to rent. A prime week Jan-April definitely cover your MFs with a little extra, off-season week Sept-early Dec would probably get about the MF give or take $100.

I would get a good winter week and put it up for rent 7-8 months out from check-in. I would expect you to get anywhere from $1800-$2100.

Editing to add view category in my opinion makes a big difference. GV are much less desireable than OV and then OF. I sometimes see GV go unrented, so hopefully you have a view to rent.

Regards
Joe

Last edited:

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canyon Villa Rental

Hi, I too posted rental on redweek. It was studio portion of lock-off for Oct 12-19. I also posted on Craig's List and finally on TUG classified. I had zero action from redweek, a couple of bogus inquiries from Craig's List but TUG came through. My intent was to rent basically to cover the MF which is what actually occured. Thanks again Tuggers, especially you Brady. I would be lost without all of you.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rental inquiries have stopped from Redweek as of last weekend. Had steady activity since posting the ads two months ago; then nothing this entire week & weekend. And the prices on eBay have sunken even lower this week also - if there were even any bids.

MLC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rent week on the internet

I rent at different sites depending upon the supply on that site. If there is alot of weeks on that site I go some where else and rent. I have had good success on the big 4(redweek myresortnetwork, vacationtimesharerentals, and tug).

It seems to me on tug the renters who rent are wanting a steal and so I have not rented on tug with as much success as I use to. I do not know why either.

If I can not get at least an 8-9% return on my investment I sale it and move on. I have been renting long enough that my portfolio has weeks that I can rent. Airfares have hurt my hawaii properties but my Royal properties have been very busy in the last 3 weeks.

I enjoy renting my weeks because I feel I have a part in someones joy. I have enjoyed the people I have meet and the relationships that I have developed. I always try to give the best service that I can,hoping they will rent from me again.

Last edited:

skifast

Reaction score
It has been two-and-a-half weeks with zero action from Redweek. Really surprises me. Time to look at other options. Will continue to update.

Reaction score
I posted on Redweek a prime ski week for March 08 at Mountainside in Park City and got nothing. Cheap rate - 2 bdrm. Ended up banking it with II. I was surprised. If I had known I could rent the TS so cheap, I probably would have never bought! (we paid over $40K).

wa.mama

TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted Christmas week at the Waiohai a month ago. Only one partial price offer (MF + 100). Will probably end up giving it to family. Hawaii isn't doing well for the holidays - there's lots on Craig's list for a fraction of last year's price. I don't blame the renters - every morning there's another nauseating bit of news in the financials.