• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek holding all payments regardless???

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Just got my email. I find interesting that it was the arbitration committee made a decision w/out knowledge of both parties being involved. Only through this thread did I know there was a dispute.

A marketed difference btwn RW and AirBnb and VRBOs language.

Any better sites for the occasional rental?

The issue with RW is not its platform; it is with its escrow service. I have rented through Redweek (and TUG and MyResortNetwork) many times, but I use my own contract and the renter pays me directly.

I have never permitted a renter to "escrow" the rent with a third party and never will -- something which will likely become standard operating procedure for Tuggers who rent units.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Just got my email. I find interesting that it was the arbitration committee made a decision w/out knowledge of both parties being involved. Only through this thread did I know there was a dispute.

A marketed difference btwn RW and AirBnb and VRBOs language.

Any better sites for the occasional rental?
Wow. They disputed and you didn’t get paid? Unreal.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
No, I didn't get paid cause it was in a holding account. My issue is that it should have been discussed btwn both parties. RW should have contacted me and indicated that there was dispute so I could've offered other options. If the renter and I couldn't agree, then arbitration. Instead the renter indicated uninhabitable, which could be verified by the resort that is incorrect. Since it is uninhabitable and the renter willingly chose to not go to the resort, only a portion of the $$$ should have been refunded.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
The contract reads "The Owner has contracted with RedWeek Real Estate, LLC (“RedWeek”), which serves as the processor of the transaction for the two parties and the sole arbiter."

This by definition isn't arbitration if Redweek doesn't inform the Owner of Arbitration is pending or allow for admission of evidence in their defense. I have submitted multiple online forms to Redweek and they don't reply to anything.

What does your listing agreement status show now? Mine still shows, "On Hold, pending review"

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
The contract reads "The Owner has contracted with RedWeek Real Estate, LLC (“RedWeek”), which serves as the processor of the transaction for the two parties and the sole arbiter."

This by definition isn't arbitration if Redweek doesn't inform the Owner of Arbitration is pending or allow for admission of evidence in their defense. I have submitted multiple online forms to Redweek and they don't reply to anything.

What does your listing agreement status show now? Mine still shows, "On Hold, pending review"
Mine now shows booked and scheduled for payment. So conflicting.

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Westin/St. Johns and Grand Vista Owner
I'm an owner with a renter who is disputing a $5,500 rental for Ko Olina for this week. Redweek did not contact me to cancel the reservation but I reached out to them at 1-866-971-1737. The customer service agent was nice and asked for my patience as they worked through their backlog.

I disagree with the "non-habitable" argument as the resort is clearly open. The governing sentence in the contract I believe is this: "Renters' inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to: illness, airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and payment is non-refundable." I am not optimistic and I agree with a post above that states that the contract is clear about the Owner's right to collect rent in this circumstance. This is exactly why the Redweek site is asking owners to be "understanding" in these circumstances.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
No, I didn't get paid cause it was in a holding account. My issue is that it should have been discussed btwn both parties. RW should have contacted me and indicated that there was dispute so I could've offered other options. If the renter and I couldn't agree, then arbitration. Instead the renter indicated uninhabitable, which could be verified by the resort that is incorrect. Since it is uninhabitable and the renter willingly chose to not go to the resort, only a portion of the $$$ should have been refunded.
It’s Unreal. I am contacting my renter and going to see if I can work something out with him and conduct a side rental and direct payment then have redweek issue a refund. I don’t want them involved at all moving forward. I may pay to list rentals but I will never use the full service option. They are a joke.

teddyo333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana:
Westin Kierland (x2)
WKORV - OV (x2)
Desert Oasis (x6)
Vistana Villages - Bella
Vistana Villages - Key West
Sheraton Broadway Plantation (2BR Lockout)
Marriott:
Marriott Grande Ocean
I have three disputes that are occurring for rentals @ SDO. Two of the rentals were from 3/14 to 3/21 & one is for 3/21 to 3/28. I am fortunate that I post all my units simultaneously with Redweek and a realtor and accept whichever comes first. The best part of using the realtor is that I get paid upfront and don't have to deal with working with the renter. All of the contracts that are generated by the realtor clearly state that the funds are non-refundable. I hope RW does not favor the renter especially for the units of the prior week. I understand that this is a tough situation for renters but owners should be consulted before any money is refunded to the renter. This would at least give some semblance of being unbiased to either party. I will definitely look towards utilizing realtors more going forward.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
In a major turn of events Redweek just released the funds for one of my rentals from 3/14-3/21 that they were holding. I don't believe this Renter actually opened a dispute as they stayed the entire week. Redweek hasn't yet to reply to any of my inquiries

Now down to the One Reservation from last week that the Renter Checked in and left 2 days later. I know they are disputing for a refund which I am denying a refund based on the second part of the terms of Section 12 since the resort wasn't closed or asking for voluntary evacuations. They can't use the resort was non habitable on arrival from section 2 since they were there for two days

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I have three disputes that are occurring for rentals @ SDO. Two of the rentals were from 3/14 to 3/21 & one is for 3/21 to 3/28. I am fortunate that I post all my units simultaneously with Redweek and a realtor and accept whichever comes first. The best part of using the realtor is that I get paid upfront and don't have to deal with working with the renter. All of the contracts that are generated by the realtor clearly state that the funds are non-refundable. I hope RW does not favor the renter especially for the units of the prior week. I understand that this is a tough situation for renters but owners should be consulted before any money is refunded to the renter. This would at least give some semblance of being unbiased to either party. I will definitely look towards utilizing realtors more going forward.
I think I will go the realtor route as well.

If I was consulted, I would offer other options which I have. This is what I am doing w/ VC.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an owner. I have not rented through redweek's escrow service. What I think has happened is that the Renters used credit cards to pay for the rentals. The renter asked redweek for a refund. Redweek said no. Renter then went to credit card company and disputed the charge. Credit Card company sided with the renter and asked Redweek for the money back or perhaps ever went into the account and pulled the funds. Redweeks tells credit card company that the renter had a no cancellation policy. Credit Card company says we will look into it, but in the meantime we want repayment from you (redweek). Redweek is blindsided by this turn of events. Not defending Redweek, just pointing out a scenario that is a nightmare for everyone but the renter, since the renter is off the hook for the charge at this point.

Been through this with another situation where the credit card company ruled against me despite my company being in full compliance with the rules.

Last edited:

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an owner. I have not rented through redweek's escrow service. What I think has happened is that the Renters used credit cards to pay for the rentals. The renter asked redweek for a refund. Redweek said no. Renter then went to credit card company and disputed the charge. Credit Card company sided with the renter and asked Redweek for money the money back or perhaps ever went into the account and pulled the funds. Redweeks tells credit card company that the renter had a no cancellation policy. Credit Card company says we will look into it, but in the meantime we want repayment from you (redweek). Redweek is blindsided by this turn of events. Not defending Redweek, just pointing out a scenario that is a nightmare for everyone but the renter, since the renter is off the hook for the charge at this point.

Been through this with another situation where the credit card company ruled against me despite my company being in full compliance with the rules.
Yup. But that is the cost and risk of doing business. They raked it in during good times now they need to step up and take responsibility rather than trying to pass the liability onto owners

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
In a follow-up to Post#66 [and to concur with Post-#84] just received full payment for my rental WKV-1BR-Premium [MAR-14 - MAR21 2020] via digital eCheck [Wells Fargo].

Sent an email detailing my situation via their website last night.
Did receive an email this morning notifying me that there were delays and confirming that I would get paid.
Looks like they are working over the weekend.
The fact that they are issuing payments should give us all hope.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a follow-up to Post#66 [and to concur with Post-#84] just received full payment for my rental WKV-1BR-Premium [MAR-14 - MAR21 2020] via digital eCheck [Wells Fargo].

Sent an email detailing my situation vis their website last night.
Did receive an email this morning notifying me that there were delays and confirming that I would get paid.
Looks like they are working over the weekend.
The fact that they are issuing payments should give us all hope.

Let's hope a digital check doesn't bounce.......

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm glad to hear that someone else is getting their funds released.
At least they replied to you. I have had zero response from them as I have sent emails, completed their online form, and called.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
I'm glad to hear that someone else is getting their funds released.
At least they replied to you. I have had zero response from them as I have sent emails, completed their online form, and called.
The status of my last confirmed rental [WKV-1BR-Premium: Apr 4th To Apr 11th, 2020] has changed from "Booked" To "On hold, pending review".
I am worried that the renter has requested to cancel. Reading the previous posts I am expecting the worst.
Sent a quick message to RedWeek inquiring on the status change and requested that I be kept informed in case the renter would like to cancel.
Fingers Crossed and hoping RedWeek will give me an opportunity to work with the renter to reschedule based on future availability and if cancel is the last resort hope to work with the renter to share the burden in a fair manner.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The status of my last confirmed rental [WKV-1BR-Premium: Apr 4th To Apr 11th, 2020] has changed from "Booked" To "On hold, pending review".
I am worried that the renter has requested to cancel. Reading the previous posts I am expecting the worst.
Sent a quick message to RedWeek inquiring on the status change and requested that I be kept informed in case the renter would like to cancel.
Fingers Crossed.
How did you set your cancellation policy? To protect the renter it defaults to extremely flexible (cancel up to 24 hours before). They are sneaky and untrustworthy and only care about the renter. I fear they will take their side anyway.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How did you set your cancellation policy? To protect the renter it defaults to extremely flexible (cancel up to 24 hours before). They are sneaky and untrustworthy and only care about the renter. I fear they will take their side anyway.
The Default for Full Service is Moderate not Flexible and I'm not even aware of a cancellation called extremely Flexible. There is no mention of that on Redweek website

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The Default for Full Service is Moderate not Flexible and I'm not even aware of a cancellation called extremely Flexible. There is no mention of that on Redweek website
If they call cancellation with refunds given to renters up until 24 hours to check in moderate I call that extremely flexible.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Occurs to m,e that as some have indicated, RW did not contact the owner regarding cancellations, disputes, in a expeditious manner and since time is of the essence, then RW has failed in their contracted obligations. To me this will make RW liable regardless of whether the rental was canceled or not. Just saying, not a lawyer.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If they call cancellation with refunds given to renters up until 24 hours to check in moderate I call that extremely flexible.
Clearly RW is altering the terms of the contract but I'm just stating that isn't the actual terms or default cancellation policy

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Clearly RW is altering the terms of the contract but I'm just stating that isn't the actual terms or default cancellation policy
It kind of is. I listed a full service listing and as I was putting the information in I was looking for the option to select a cancellation policy. They gave none when setting up the listing. Once the listing went live I took a look at it and saw cancellation policy “flexible”. I read the terms and it said refundable up until 60 days prior to check in. I emailed customer service and asked why i wasn’t given an option to set cancellation they responded with, it defaults to flexible if you want to change it let us know you can do flexible, moderate 50% back up until 60 days and strict no refunds. I had to uncover that, they defaulted to flexible.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had to uncover that, they defaulted to flexible.
I setup my Full Service Last year and they all defaulted to Moderate. So maybe that's new but RW website still shows the default as Moderate for Full Service

Can the renter cancel and get a refund?
Unless otherwise specified in the posting, the default cancellation policy is as follows: If Renter cancels at least 60 days prior to check-in, 50% of the total rental amount will be paid to the owner as a cancellation penalty, less agreed-upon fees. For cancellations less than 60 days prior to check-in, the penalty is 100% less fees.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I setup my Full Service Last year and they all defaulted to Moderate. So maybe that's new but RW website still shows the default as Moderate for Full Service

Can the renter cancel and get a refund?
Unless otherwise specified in the posting, the default cancellation policy is as follows: If Renter cancels at least 60 days prior to check-in, 50% of the total rental amount will be paid to the owner as a cancellation penalty, less agreed-upon fees. For cancellations less than 60 days prior to check-in, the penalty is 100% less fees.
Mine defaulted to flexible. I almost lost it and thankfully checked it one it went “live”

edit* I stand corrected. It defaulted to moderate. You are correct. Just went back and checked.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Occurs to m,e that as some have indicated, RW did not contact the owner regarding cancellations, disputes, in a expeditious manner and since time is of the essence, then RW has failed in their contracted obligations. To me this will make RW liable regardless of whether the rental was canceled or not. Just saying, not a lawyer.

The problem is not whether someone is liable but having the resources to take them to court to prove they are liable.