• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek holding all payments regardless???

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
Redweek is actually encourages renters to file a dispute. When renters log in to their booking, they see this:

If you are not able to travel due to the Coronavirus, please file a dispute here.

Then there is a choice of dispute reasons:

RESERVATION PROBLEM
  • Can't travel due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • The resort doesn't have the reservation in my name
  • The unit they gave me is incorrect
  • Other
When the renter chooses "Can't travel due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)", booking goes on hold, and then evidence is Redweek is automatically refunding renters.

This is not right!

Booking is non-refundable. Resort is open. If the renter can't travel, they should claim under their insurance.
They mine as well post "If you want a refund for any reason click here"

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Redweek is probably already finished they won’t be around after this is all said and done

It’s going to take class action to recover any money with little to no return as they’ll have already refunded the money to Renters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disagree. They make enough Money on memberships. They are charging my renter a service fee of 145. Plus my 99 full service listing fee. Plus both of our 15 dollar memberships. Each full service rental gets them 245 bucks. They are more than doing ok. I think they are siding with the renter so people trust that they can rent with redweek and they will fight for the renter if something catastrophic happens. What they don’t realize is owners like me will never use redweek again. I will also let everyone know not to use redweek as well

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just thought of a Novel idea. Since Redweek is too busy to handle all of the volume from Renters and Owners at Minimum they should provide email contact information to have the renter and owner work on their own dialogue. I don't think Owners aren't willing to work with renters but it's impossible with days / weeks in between responses with Redweek in the middle. By the time Redweek gets around to all of these it will be too late for anyone to do anything about it.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very Interesting and related Discussion on Redweek Forum

Redweek Forum Discussion
Not sure why most of their responses emphasize they are a “pretty small company”... that doesn’t justify anything and they sure aren’t that small according to their description: “RedWeek is the largest, most reputable online timeshare marketplace with an audience of more than 2.6 million and an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Timeshare owners and travelers alike come to RedWeek to read our exclusive resort ratings and reviews, access our detailed resort information, and of course browse the thousands of timeshare rental and resale postings or advertise their own timeshare for rent or sale.” The annual revenues they make from these transactions and membership fees exceed $250 million.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
This seems like total BS...

1) The contract says that the reservation is non refundable (some less strict than others but most non refundable within 60 days)
2) They encourage renters to get travel insurance in the contract itself and during the checkout process

…and then they ignore all that and allow a renter to cancel because they are "unable to travel"? I hope their "arbitration panel" is keeping detailed minutes of their lengthy deliberations, including asking renters for documentation of canceled flights etc. But even with canceled flights or quarantines - that what travel insurance is for, especially when some companies offer "cancel for any reason" riders.

Unless a resort is closed on the checkin day (non of the US-based Marriotts and Vistana ones are closed as of today) or a renter evacuated during their stay, I really see no reason for them to rule against an owner. Renters come to Redweek because they get a much better deal than going to marriott.com - but they shouldn't expect the same flexibility they get from marriott.com, Again - seems like a travel insurance claim and without travel insurance it's non-refundable.

I saw other quote Paragraph 2 from the contract but Paragraph 12 form their contract states:

12. If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the Rental Period commences by reason of flood,
fire, or storm
, and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the total Rent will be refunded to
the Renter. If the Renter is required to evacuate the Unit at any point during the Term, the Renter is
entitled to a pro-rated refund for unused nights from the point of evacuation order through the
remainder of the Term. In such events, the Owner will have no further liability to the Renter.
Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control
(including, but not limited to: illness, airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the
Renter, and Payment is non-refundable. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and
cancellation insurance for such matters

That seems totally cut and dry to me.

Too bad - they had a good reputation (A+ and 4* rating) on BBB. I personally lost faith in their process...

Last edited:

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very Interesting and related Discussion on Redweek Forum

Redweek Forum Discussion
This was one of Redweek’s response regarding insurance:

By RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com Team
Dennis: Travel insurance is available on all bookings done through RedWeek Online Booking with the following exceptions: the check-in date must be within 18 months, and we currently cannot offer insurance to residents of Hawaii or New York.
The exact policy depends on where you live. Any questions about coverage would need to be answered by CSA/Generali: 866-999-4018”

they push renters into buying travel insurance which I’m sure they make money off of but now they are not paying owners when it should be travel insurance covering this Covid situation especially if the resorts are open and accepting guests (qualifies as “habitable”) which was my case and for most owners

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Sorry for the extra rant but I just can't reconcile Paragraph 12:

12. If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the Rental Period commences by reason of flood, fire, or storm, and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the total Rent will be refunded to the Renter.(…)Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to: illness, airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and Payment is non-refundable. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for such matters.

with the arbitration panel conclusion some here posted from the email.

The RedWeek arbitration panel has reviewed this case and determined that, due to the ongoing global Covid-19 pandemic, the rental unit is not habitable.
Per section 2 of the Rental Agreement, therefore, the panel has found in favor of the renter, and will be issuing them a refund.

(this is P2:
2. Renter may use the Unit during the term without interference subject to the terms of this
Agreement. If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the term starts, Renter shall notify RedWeek
immediately using the method indicated below. Any dispute regarding the unit will delay payment
to the Owner, pending resolution of the dispute by RedWeek, the sole arbiter)

BUT WHAT ABOUT SECTION 12?????? The Coronavirus is very bad, but its not "flood, fire or storm"...

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

(…)Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to: illness, airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and Payment is non-refundable. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for such matters.

The RedWeek arbitration panel has reviewed this case and determined that, due to the ongoing global Covid-19 pandemic, the rental unit is not habitable.
Per section 2 of the Rental Agreement, therefore, the panel has found in favor of the renter, and will be issuing them a refund.

(this is P2:
2. Renter may use the Unit during the term without interference subject to the terms of this
Agreement. If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the term starts, Renter shall notify RedWeek
immediately using the method indicated below. Any dispute regarding the unit will delay payment

BUT WHAT ABOUT SECTION 12??????

Am I missing anything?

As long as your resort was operational and accepting check-ins as of the start of the rental period, then Redweek owes us the agreed upon rental amount as they had no right to cancel the agreement in favor of the renter and deem it “not habitable”. Fortunately for us owners at a major timeshare resort (eg Marriott, Westin, Hyatt, etc) it is easy to verify historically if they were allowing check-ins at a certain date. And given the fact that a major hotel corporation is allowing check-ins automatically qualifies it being “habitable” otherwise they would be liable if it wasn’t “habitable” or unsafe.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

(…)Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to: illness, airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and Payment is non-refundable. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for such matters.

(this is P2:

BUT WHAT ABOUT SECTION 12??????

Am I missing anything?

My interpretation

Section 2 is broader as it doesn’t speak to what not habitable represents and also provides them guidance
Section 12 narrows the not habitable definition and provides the owner a remedy of offering a substitute before refunding

Both are specific to the start of the stay

Last edited:

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
My interpretation

Section 2 is broader as it doesn’t speak to what not habitable represents and also provides them guidance

Section 12 narrows the not habitable definition and provides the owner a remedy of offering a substitute before refunding

Both are specific to the start of the stay

Exactly...

And Section 12 also includes the sentence I omitted in post 58 above (but listed in post 56) that says:

"If the Renter is required to evacuate the Unit at any point during the Term, the Renter is entitled to a pro-rated refund for unused nights from the point of evacuation order through the remainder of the Term."

which I think is what prompted their earlier emails that they will be delaying payment till after checkout, but that delay also violates their obligation under the contract:

10.1. RedWeek will collect the total rental funds from the Renter and will disburse the Owner's hare of the rental funds to the Owner within two business days after check-in, subject to the resolution of any disputes in accordance with this Agreement.

but the 5-day delay is less of an issue (to me) than the fact they are refunding renters for reasons totally not covered by the contract.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I just thought of a Novel idea. Since Redweek is too busy to handle all of the volume from Renters and Owners at Minimum they should provide email contact information to have the renter and owner work on their own dialogue. I don't think Owners aren't willing to work with renters but it's impossible with days / weeks in between responses with Redweek in the middle. By the time Redweek gets around to all of these it will be too late for anyone to do anything about it.
I was offered that and decided against it. I paid for full service, why should I do their job? In the end it worked out for my deal since I was able to move the reservation to a later date. I was one of the lucky ones that had my star option restrictions removed so I was able to book an August week, now. Others aren’t so lucky. Many owners systems won’t allow points to be used unless it’s within xx amount of days from check in when you cancel last minute. Basically redweek is asking owners to work with renters but our hands are tied. Policy came down two days after I called about options being restricted. If I got caught up in that situation I would have only been able to book units from May 14th and before. I highly doubt my renter would have taken that solution. Again, I lucked out, but many others are screwed. Now it looks like they are holding rental fees to allow renters to file claims and as long as you select option 1 2 or 3 you’re covered. They are acting like an in-house free travel insurance.

How can they expect owners to come to a solution when our hands are tied with how far out we can book? Redweek is not thinking about the owners and how we deal with certain companies and their rules when it comes to cancellations.

Last edited:

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
but the 5-day delay is less of an issue (to me) than the fact they are refunding renters for reasons totally not covered by the contract.
Agree 100% - If Redweek wanted to err on the side of caution and told me they wanted to hold my funds through check-out to ensure that There wasn't an evacuation order at my resort I could live with that. I had two renters this week and one checked out on their own without notice on Monday and the other checked out today on their regular scheduled date. I sent Redweek another message tonight that I have confirmed that both renters have checked out so please forward my funds to me.

Neither would be eligible for a refund, but the person who checked out on their own on Monday has requested one. Redweek contacted me three days after they checked out and asked for a refund. Sorry but they made it to Scottsdale and checked into the resort, and checked out without an order. So they can't pull that Not Habitable BS on me for either rental.

I am sure Redweek will reach out to the Renter that was there all week and ask if they got a free Champagne and Caviar while at the resort. The renter will reply "No" and be eligible for a full refund. :wall:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Agree 100% - If Redweek wanted to err on the side of caution and told me they wanted to hold my funds through check-out to ensure that There wasn't an evacuation order at my resort I could live with that. I had two renters this week and one checked out on their own without notice on Monday and the other checked out today on their regular scheduled date. I sent Redweek another message tonight that I have confirmed that both renters have checked out so please forward my funds to me.

Neither would be eligible for a refund, but the person who checked out on their own on Monday has requested one. Redweek contacted me three days after they checked out and asked for a refund. Sorry but they made it to Scottsdale and checked into the resort, and checked out without an order. So they can't pull that Not Habitable BS on me for either rental.

I am sure Redweek will reach out to the Renter that was there all week and ask if they got a free Champagne and Caviar while at the resort. The renter will reply "No" and be eligible for a full refund. :wall:
I actually may cancel the rental on my unit and allow him a refund even though I’ve moved it out to August. I may try and rent it next year and do it on my own. I don’t know if I want to play this game with redweek.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek is protecting its business, which is serving renters.
After this disaster passes, if renters are kept happy, they will return.
If renters are denied refunds, they will not return, They will sue. They will raise holy hell. Redweek could go out of business.
I know some of us will say, what about Redweek serving the owners? Without owners, there'd be nothing to rent? Remember, for every owner, there's probably 10 renters, maybe a lot more. Without of the faith of renters, Redweek is dead.
As has been pointed out, there are contracts. No refunds! Unfortunately, this event has rewritten the rules whether we like it or not.
In the end, Redweek has to make a choice -- happy renter and angry owner or happy owner and angry renter. They seem to be doing the best they can, but no matter what they do, someone is going to be unhappy.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
2 of our 3 rentals [1BR-Premium 81000-Star-Options] for Westin Kierland [Check-In: Apr 4th - Apr 11th, 2020] were canceled last week.
Since these were Full-Service listings, RedWeek holds 100% of the money received from the renters.
Even though the Rental-Agreement was in my favor [100% Non-Refundable], I agreed to refund $2000 [90%] to each of the renters.
I asked RedWeek to refund me the balance ~$200 but haven't received any payment yet.
Just heard from one of the renters that they have not received payment either.

2-Cancellations
Thu Mar 12th, 2020: I was lucky with one unit as Vistana agreed to restore our Star-Options unrestricted after I paid $50 Cancellation-Fees.
Thu Mar 19th, 2020: I agreed and committed the same terms to the second renter.
Fri Mar 20th, 2020: When I called Vistana they informed me that the policy was changed on Thu night.
Vistana offered to waive the $50 Cancel-Fee but could not restore the Star-Options unrestricted. After more than 2 hours speaking with multiple agents I managed to get to a supervisor.
The supervisor read out the same policy [Waive $50 Cancel-Fees + Restricted Star-Options] and asked if I wanted to Bank my other options for a One-Time Banking-Fee.
After informing her that I don't pay banking fees she realized that we were 5* Elite and agreed to a one last-time favor.

1-Completion
Just had a rental completed today [WKV: 1BR-Premium Mar 14th - Mar 21st, 2020].
Payment for this was supposed to be released on Mar 17th [3-Days after Check-In].
However, noticed that the status has changed to "On Hold, Pending Review".
After reading the posts, I am hoping that the renter has not chosen to dispute especially since the week has elapsed.

1-Pending
Have one more confirmed rental [WKV: 1BR-Premium Apr 4th - Apr 11th, 2020].
Haven't heard anything from RedWeek or the renter yet so I assume this is still fine.
However, given the changing situation I won't be surprised if the renter inquires about canceling or rescheduling.
Unfortunately, I cannot be as charitable as I have been to the previous 2 renters as Vistana is no longer flexible.

Future
Have 15 Listings for 2020/2021 and am not sure I will continue with RedWeek if my payments are not resolved in a fair manner.
As owners, we have been more than reasonable in accommodating the requests of the renters [despite the late cancellations].
Even though this is no fault of the renters, we as owners are just as helpless and at the mercy of the resort chains policy.
Despite having the agreement in our favor we agreed to be flexible with RedWeek and the renter so we are surprised that RedWeek is not being helpful.

Hopeful this is simply a delay in getting to the backlog and RedWeek will ultimately do the right thing.

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This article in USA Today could be Timeshare Owners soon enough. The story while mentioning owners and their financial obligations it is overly slanted towards the Renters. I would totally work with someone for rescheduling for future reservations or some kind of splitting the loss. In my case all of my reservations that were rented are in the past, and there isn't anything I can do about the past dates.

I just raised my price to almost double for the remaining two weeks I have listed on Redweek full Service even though they aren't until July. I don't want another Full Service Rental to book with Redweek until I see how they handle my two outstanding rentals.

Good Luck everyone

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...a-vacation-rentals-renters-owners/2893731001/

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's very greedy for tourists to expect the landlord to absorb all of the cost.
A reasonable settlement is to split it 50-50.

1 1/2 weeks ago, I canceled an extra vacation with RCI at 16 days and accepted my 50% loss of $260.
Yes, it was small, but I have $900 airline tickets and $1300 airline tickets to Alaska the end of August that I expect to lose.

I don't expect someone else to absorb all of the cost, It's spent money. We're just missing out on trips.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I am not sure Redweek can just get to pick in choose who to favor based on what they think will help them more in the future.

They cite a vague Paragraph from the contract as justification for siding with the renter:

"The RedWeek arbitration panel has reviewed this case and determined that, due to the ongoing global Covid-19 pandemic, the rental unit is not habitable. Per section 2 of the Rental Agreement, therefore, the panel has found in favor of the renter, and will be issuing them a refund."

But Section 12 of that same contract is much more specific and describes what non-habitable means. Other reasons besides flood, storm or fire are on the renter,

"If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the Rental Period commences by reason of flood, fire, or storm, and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the total Rent will be refunded to
the Renter.(…) Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to: illness, airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and Payment is non-refundable. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for such matters."

I am not a lawyer but it seems to me that owners here have a very good winning argument,

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's very greedy for tourists to expect the landlord to absorb all of the cost.
A reasonable settlement is to split it 50-50.

1 1/2 weeks ago, I canceled an extra vacation with RCI at 16 days and accepted my 50% loss of $260.
Yes, it was small, but I have $900 airline tickets and $1300 airline tickets to Alaska the end of August that I expect to lose.

I don't expect someone else to absorb all of the cost, It's spent money. We're just missing out on trips.
Here is a roundup of airline policies that may help you.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
another reason why we should not compare airlines and large travel agencies/ hotel chains with the TS owners is because the former will be bailed out by the government and receive a lot of funds in the next few weeks so they can afford to be more liberal with their cancellation policies. Nobody is bailing out the owners.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
another reason why we should not compare airlines and large travel agencies/ hotel chains with the TS owners is because the former will be bailed out by the government and receive a lot of funds in the next few weeks so they can afford to be more liberal with their cancellation policies. Nobody is bailing out the owners.
I’m tempted to cancel my full service listing and contacting the renter directly since I have his information and creating a new contract on the side and let him pay me directly. I’ll even be willing to adjust the cost and knock 500 off the rental to collect my money now. Who knows how redweek will hold up in August. I will likely never use redweek full service or payment service ever in the future.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
If you have the option to get out of it I most definitely would. If a contract is now meaningless then there is no reason for owners to agree to escrow ever again...

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you have the option to get out of it I most definitely would. If a contract is now meaningless then there is no reason for owners to agree to escrow ever again...
I do. I was one of the lucky ones who cancelled 2 weeks before the check in date but before the official policy was released. They removed restrictions which is what allowed me to rebook in August for the renter.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Just got my email. I find interesting that it was the arbitration committee made a decision w/out knowledge of both parties being involved. Only through this thread did I know there was a dispute.

A marketed difference btwn RW and AirBnb and VRBOs language.

Any better sites for the occasional rental?