• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The last few days I have been getting "cookie cutter" inquiries from Redweek, and I thought it was a Bot or a scammer, but it turns out that Redweek has standardized their inquiry form.

The most interesting (annoying) feature is that now there is a box to check if the renter wants escrow, and the default is for the box to be checked, so the renter has to uncheck it. So most inquiries are coming in with the box checked/escrow requested.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 1.20.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 1.20.48 PM.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 40

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> The most interesting (annoying) feature is that now there is a box to check if the renter wants escrow, and the default is for the box to be checked, so the renter has to uncheck it. So most inquiries are coming in with the box checked/escrow requested.

That's just shameful. I hope that those who advertise timeshare intervals for rent on RedWeek will give the administrators there an earful about this.
Escrow definitely should not be a pre-checked "default" for a rental transaction; it should be required to overtly "opt in", not to instead have to actively "opt out". Although the escrow of rental funds is (afaik, anyhow) actually handled by First American Title for RedWeek, I have very little doubt that Redweek gets a piece of every such "referred" escrow fee.

People new to renting intervals might be led to incorrectly believe by this misleading "default selection" that escrow is somehow an integral or necessary part of a rental transaction. In point of fact, that is absolutely not true.

We very seldom rent out any intervals, but would certainly never consider utilizing or accepting a process in which rental payment is received weeks after a rental has already been completed --- which is how that RedWeek / First American Title "escrow" process operates.

Last edited:

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian needs to add an "unlike" button That's a pretty greedy move Redweek. I recently had a conversation with a potential renter - he needed a week I had just rented. He asked me about my thoughts on escrow. He said he had tried to get a couple owners to rent via esccrow and no one wanted to do it. I steered him to TUG to find out more about renting and how to protect yourself from being ripped off.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
haha, i cant see anything good coming out of an unlike button =)

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last few days I have been getting "cookie cutter" inquiries from Redweek, and I thought it was a Bot or a scammer, but it turns out that Redweek has standardized their inquiry form.

The most interesting (annoying) feature is that now there is a box to check if the renter wants escrow, and the default is for the box to be checked, so the renter has to uncheck it. So most inquiries are coming in with the box checked/escrow requested.

Another area where I think they're getting greedy is where they've recently started offering a 'Redweek Verified' service where, for a fee, they contact your resort to ensure the reservation. Once they've done that, they plaster a 'verified' tag to your rental ad. Of course, this implies those ads without this tag are risky, even though many of us gladly furnish resort confirmations to renters.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I don't like it, its not right, if I wan't it , I'll check it ! I wouldn't pay for it, and I don't think I would be ok with it. Our MF's are do in a month, I have reservations made for Sept 2017. Would kill me to have to wait that long to get paid.

Would be a good question to ask for a pole, both ways.

If you renter , would you be willing to use a escrow ?

If you are renting, do you require a escrow ? or How important to you is a escrow ?

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Another area where I think they're getting greedy is where they've recently started offering a 'Redweek Verified' service where, for a fee, they contact your resort to ensure the reservation. Once they've done that, they plaster a 'verified' tag to your rental ad. Of course, this implies those ads without this tag are risky, even though many of us gladly furnish resort confirmations to renters.

Redweek has two options: "do-it-yourself" - $29.99, and "full service" - $79.99. Although, you can have Redweek verify your DIY Ad for you for a fee, the majority of the Ads marked "verified" are using Redweek's "full service" option. ALL of the full service Ads are marked with the "Verified" tag.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek has two options: do-it-yourself - $29.99, and "full service - $79.99." Although, you can have Redweek verify your DIY Ad for you for a fee, the majority of the Ads marked "verified" are using Redweek's "full service" option. ALL of the full service Ads are marked with the "Verified" tag.

Oh, I didn't realize the 'Full Service' option included that, thanks. It's still irritating they're doing this, whether 'Full Service' or 'DIY.' :mad:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too received an offer in the new format and didn't think the inquiry was going to go anywhere because I'm not open to using escrow so when I said my week was available but I don't use escrow the renter didn't even realize it was a default. He didn't care about escrow so we ended up completing a deal.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see it as a conflict of interest that RW now brokers rentals and resales. I agree that it tilts the playing field. They have all the rental data that they can really unfairly use and now they imply that some ads are better than others with this "verified" status. I've used them 99% exclusively for as long as they've been around so I don't want to make waves but it is BS that they don't have a feedback system for renters like Ebay to leave positive feedback for owners because if they did they wouldn't sell as much escrow and now "verified" status.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Would be a good question to ask for a pole, both ways.

If you renter , would you be willing to use a escrow ?

If you are renting, do you require a escrow ? or How important to you is a escrow ?

Dave

As someone who has done the renting several times, I never heard of an escrow. I'm used to paying a deposit, with final payment due well in advance of the rental, with the payment going directly to the owner.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
When one of my renters insisted on using escrow, I had them pay for it, and I didn't get the payment until I reminded the company that the rental was long past and no money yet. It was a terrible service. I think three renters opted for the service and paid the fee themselves, and just the one was a problem. I would be upset if my renters were requesting escrow because Redweek is pushing it on them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Guess what - Redweek took the "escrow" box completely off the inquiry form.

Good for them for listening to their customers!