• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reduced RCI availability to HGVC members??

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
We just conducted a test where we had a friend log into their RCI account at the same time we logged into our HGVC RCI account. We each conducted an exchange search for Cabo San Lucas in July/August 2018. We were shocked to find that our friend had 8 pages of listing when we only had 8 resorts period!!! They were able to book exchanges into resorts that were not even on our list! How could this be??
  • No, their resort was not anything exceptional or perceived better than Hilton
  • Yes, we were both step by step looking at the same things, not filtering differently
  • Their RCI account is separate from their timeshare account, so they log directly into RCI

We called HCVC RCI the next day to see if they had any explanation. We made 2 separate calls to discuss with 2 different HGVC RCI counselors. Both were under the impression that we should be able to see all RCI availability and had no idea how anything different could be possible.

Is it possible that HGVC has reduced/filtered RCI exchange availability???? Anyone have any experience or insights on this?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We just conducted a test where we had a friend log into their RCI account at the same time we logged into our HGVC RCI account. We each conducted an exchange search for Cabo San Lucas in July/August 2018. We were shocked to find that our friend had 8 pages of listing when we only had 8 resorts period!!! They were able to book exchanges into resorts that were not even on our list! How could this be??
  • No, their resort was not anything exceptional or perceived better than Hilton
  • Yes, we were both step by step looking at the same things, not filtering differently
  • Their RCI account is separate from their timeshare account, so they log directly into RCI

We called HCVC RCI the next day to see if they had any explanation. We made 2 separate calls to discuss with 2 different HGVC RCI counselors. Both were under the impression that we should be able to see all RCI availability and had no idea how anything different could be possible.

Is it possible that HGVC has reduced/filtered RCI exchange availability???? Anyone have any experience or insights on this?

Could they be RCI points owners and you are a fixed week owner or vice versa? Points and weeks owners see very different inventory. I know this for a fact as we are points and my sister and BIL are fixed week and have both been logged into RCI at the same time like you and your friend.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Could they be RCI points owners and you are a fixed week owner or vice versa?...

That's point-less. HGVC is neither points nor weeks. It has access to both.
In the past, HGVC did filter "lesser" RCI resorts not up to HGVC "standards."
OTOH:
If the search was for 7 days MT 10 months out, the search was for weeks.
Searching for an alternate term invokes a points search up to 10 months out.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Were you seeing the nicer resorts? I wouldn't be surprised if RCI/HGVC filter out "lesser" resorts to keep complaints about quality down.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
Were you seeing the nicer resorts? I wouldn't be surprised if RCI/HGVC filter out "lesser" resorts to keep complaints about quality down.
Added detail to help answer the 'nicer' question:

• There were specific nice resorts that we were hoping to see but could not. Yet they were able to see these resorts. There were many other nice resorts that they were able to see and we were not.....

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
That's point-less. HGVC is neither points nor weeks. It has access to both.
In the past, HGVC did filter "lesser" RCI resorts not up to HGVC "standards."
OTOH:
If the search was for 7 days MT 10 months out, the search was for weeks.
Searching for an alternate term invokes a points search up to 10 months out.

Sorry I should have been clearer and added more detail.

We actually have two RCI accounts, points and weeks. We own several points weeks Grandview Las Vegas and we automatically get RCI points for those weeks unless at something like 10 months out we declare our intent to use "our week" in which case we don't get the points that year. We pay a yearly membership fee for this RCI points account. Fixed weeks owners, like my sister and BIL, either use their week or deposit it to get TPU's (trading power units) to book other stays. As Wyndham owners we get a free RCI weeks account and it is how Wyndham owners deposit their Wyndham points to book stays through RCI. Is this last type of account what you have through HGVC? Or is what you have something else entirely, another case of a sweetheart deal that is unique to HGVC?

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
Sorry I should have been clearer and added more detail.

We actually have two RCI accounts, points and weeks. We own several points weeks Grandview Las Vegas and we automatically get RCI points for those weeks unless at something like 10 months out we declare our intent to use "our week" in which case we don't get the points that year. We pay a yearly membership fee for this RCI points account. Fixed weeks owners, like my sister and BIL, either use their week or deposit it to get TPU's (trading power units) to book other stays. As Wyndham owners we get a free RCI weeks account and it is how Wyndham owners deposit their Wyndham points to book stays through RCI. Is this last type of account what you have through HGVC? Or is what you have something else entirely, another case of a sweetheart deal that is unique to HGVC?
The HGVC program is probably more like your Wyndham account. We have ownership/points with HGVC. We have to log into our HGVC account and enter the RCI account from there. The RCI account shows exchanges based on the HGVC point system, not the RCI point system. So, it is using points, but HGVC points, not RCI points.

Now, the friend we were conducting the test with is a owner at Tahiti Village in Vegas. So they enter RCI just like your Grandview account, as a full RCI member.

When you ran the test with your sister, what did you see as being the difference?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It would be helpful to know some of the resorts you can't see. When I check July 1-August 31, 2018, Los Cobos area, I get 30 resorts. When I filter for AI not required it drops down to 16.

What resort were you looking for that they could see that you could not?

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
It would be helpful to know some of the resorts you can't see. When I check July 1-August 31, 2018, Los Cobos area, I get 30 resorts. When I filter for AI not required it drops down to 16.

What resort were you looking for that they could see that you could not?
Specifically, we were looking for Pueblo Bonito Rose or Pueblo Bonito Blanco. Interestingly, we were only able to see Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach.....

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I do see Rose I don't see Blanco. Try searching by Resort code. It might not help but sometimes searching different ways brings up different availability. Also check if you can see those resorts but at other dates or if you are just completely not able to see them.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
The HGVC program is probably more like your Wyndham account. We have ownership/points with HGVC. We have to log into our HGVC account and enter the RCI account from there. The RCI account shows exchanges based on the HGVC point system, not the RCI point system. So, it is using points, but HGVC points, not RCI points.

Now, the friend we were conducting the test with is a owner at Tahiti Village in Vegas. So they enter RCI just like your Grandview account, as a full RCI member.

When you ran the test with your sister, what did you see as being the difference?

I see way more inventory than my sister does. However almost everything I search and book is in the last 5 weeks before check in so I can't speak as to how it would compare if we were both searching months out. I've never tried logging into my Wyndham RCI weeks account while she is signed into her weeks account to see how they compare. I wonder if I would see the same inventory she does or still different inventory.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I do see Rose I don't see Blanco. Try searching by Resort code. It might not help but sometimes searching different ways brings up different availability. Also check if you can see those resorts but at other dates or if you are just completely not able to see them.
What timeshare are you using to access RCI? Is it a HGVC?

Also, I should point out that I am not filtering by date. I am only searching the location which should show anything in that location for any date.....

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Searching RCI's public directory for "Pueblo Bonito," I found these in Cabo...
- Pueblo Bonito Resort Los Cabos #2357
- Pueblo Bonito Rose Spa & Resort #4110
- Pueblo Bonito Resort At Sunset Beach #5704
No "Blanco," unless that refers to the first one.

Likewise, searching HGVC's RCI Directory, I show the same three.
Per HGVC, however, none of these have availability.
That could be a connection issue with RCI, or RCI may have it wrong.

Last edited:

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
Searching RCI's public directory for "Pueblo Bonito," I found these in Cabo...
- Pueblo Bonito Resort Los Cabos #2357
- Pueblo Bonito Rose Spa & Resort #4110
- Pueblo Bonito Resort At Sunset Beach #5704
No "Blanco," unless that refers to the first one.

Likewise, searching HGVC's RCI Directory, I show the same three.
Per HGVC, however, none of these have availability.
That could be a connection issue with RCI, or RCI may have it wrong.

Whoever sees availability might try a dummy-booking and see how far they get.

My results are the same as yours (yes, Blanco refers to Los Cabos #2357). The whole point is that using the HGVC access to RCI I was not able to see availability for the first 2 resorts, yet my friend was able to see availability and in fact put a week on hold (or they could just as easily booked it).

The million dollar question is why can these weeks be seen when accessing RCI directly but not when going through HGVC???

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My Conspiracy Theory:
They compete with HGVC's Fiesta Americana affiliates in Cabo, so...

I'd try escalating the issue beyond a HGVC rep to a floor manager.
I might even try e-mailing one of those corner-office types...

Primary Contact
Edgar Hernandez, Senior Manager Customer Care
(407) 722-3492 ... ehernandez@hgvc.com

Secondary Contact
Mark D. Wang, President of Grand Vacations
(407) 722-3100 x3117 ... mwang@hgvc.com

Kelly Clayton- administrative assistant to Mr. Wang
(407) 722-3100 x3117 ... kclayton@hgvc.com

Stan Soroka, Chief Customer Officer
(407) 722-3112 ... ssoroka@hgvc.com

Dena Williams, VP of Club
(407) 722-3470 ... dwilliams@hgvc.com

- From http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hilton-grand-vacations/

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
My Conspiracy Theory:
They compete with HGVC's Fiesta Americana affiliates in Cabo, so...

I'd try escalating the issue beyond a HGVC rep to a floor manager.
I might even try e-mailing one of those corner-office types...

Primary Contact
Edgar Hernandez, Senior Manager Customer Care
(407) 722-3492 ... ehernandez@hgvc.com

Secondary Contact
Mark D. Wang, President of Grand Vacations
(407) 722-3100 x3117 ... mwang@hgvc.com

Kelly Clayton- administrative assistant to Mr. Wang
(407) 722-3100 x3117 ... kclayton@hgvc.com

Stan Soroka, Chief Customer Officer
(407) 722-3112 ... ssoroka@hgvc.com

Dena Williams, VP of Club
(407) 722-3470 ... dwilliams@hgvc.com

- From http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hilton-grand-vacations/

Wow! Great info. Thank You. I am going to contact someone and see if I can get an answer. Will follow up here with feedback. Thanks again!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Maybe they're just not on the HGVC "approved" list, but...
They're gold-crown resorts... quality should not be an issue.

Yes I meant that HGVC may need to revisit their “approved” list of RCI resort.

RCI Gold-Crown doesn’t necessarily equal quality. Folks have been disappointed in the quality of Gold-Crown resorts well. So it definitely pays to research your RCI resort choices.

Last edited:

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I believe Disney also has a quality filter in place and I can also see those two resorts via Disney's RCI portal.
Perhaps HGVC needs to update their quality filter :shrug:

Was the HGVC RCI rep able to book the unit for you? It has been reported that they can still book the unit for you eventhough it's filtered out.
See this 2017 thread - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rci-properties-not-visible-on-hgvc-portal.256426/
The HGVC RCI rep was also not able to see the resort and had no explanation why not? We called 2 separate times to talk to 2 different reps. Same answer both times.....

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I believe Disney also has a quality filter in place and I can also see those two resorts via Disney's RCI portal.
Perhaps HGVC needs to update their quality filter :shrug:

Was the HGVC RCI rep able to book the unit for you? It has been reported that they can still book the unit for you eventhough it's filtered out.
See this 2017 thread - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rci-properties-not-visible-on-hgvc-portal.256426/
OK, I went back and read this thread. Apparently this person was having the same problem that I am seeing (only for a different resort). The thread suggested you could call HGVC and have them book the resort over the phone. However, that was never substantiated. In fact, we did call to see if they could book the resort and they could not!

There is a lot of conjecture that HGVC is 'filtering' RCI for quality, I am not convinced at all that this is true... I am going to try emailing some HGVC mngmnt as suggested by Talent312 above.....

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC does filter for quality through the RCI portal. It is typically non rated and select resorts. What you are seeing isn't a result of the quality filter.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
HGVC does filter for quality through the RCI portal. It is typically non rated and select resorts. What you are seeing isn't a result of the quality filter.
How do so many people know about this filtering?? So many people knowing about it must mean its true...? Is it in writing somewhere?? And can it be circumvented???

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
How do so many people know about this filtering?

In the olden days, before the advent of the RCI booking portal...
HGVC members had to call and ask what resorts were available.
To assist members, HGVC handed out an abridged RCI Directory.
They also published a slick Members Guide, full of glossy photos.
These were snail-mailed annually.

The RCI directory included only those resorts HGVC deemed worthy.
I don't think that anyone knows for sure if that filter is still applied.

At this point, it could merely be a historical artifact, but whenever
someone says, "Its not in the system," someone says it's the filter.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Because some of us have been around before RCI online access was added.
And some of us even remember the old printed RCI Resort Directory we got from Hilton that was only a subset of RCI resorts.
And some of us remember the complaints that go back 10+ years

2005 TUG thread about not seeing availability at Kahana Falls - http://www.tug1.net/tugbbs1/Forum6/HTML/001582.html
2009 TUG post about HGVC's RCI directory - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...vc-and-rci-points-accounts.88055/#post-644316
2011 TUG post that the online system restricted just like the hardcopy directory we received - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-all-rci-weeks-available.150094/#post-1130803