• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge (Tahoe) - Crazy Fees

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We have exchanged into the Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge almost every winter for a bunch of years. It is convenient for skiing Northstar.

We like the units (although they are small), the location on the lake and the friendly staff. They also do "mini-cleans" a couple of times in a weeks stay.

However, their fees have gotten out of hand. I just booked 8 nights in March 2019 but am considering cancelling in my grace period.

Even though there are only 2 of us, we try to get a 2 bedroom unit due to the small size. I'm totally fine with the number of RCI points to exchange.

However, in addition to the $209 exchange fee, the daily fee at the resort now approaches $20 per day. If I read the fine print correctly, there is also a $50 RCI exchange fee just because. (Internet access is included in the daily fee.)

So, in addition to the MF for my RCI points an 8 day stay looks like $209 RCI fee, $160 daily fees and $50 just because fee for a total of $419 of additional fees.

I guess I'm wondering about others thoughts on these fees and whether they would be enough for you to decide not to exchange.

Thanks.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We have exchanged into the Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge almost every winter for a bunch of years. It is convenient for skiing Northstar.

We like the units (although they are small), the location on the lake and the friendly staff. They also do "mini-cleans" a couple of times in a weeks stay.

However, their fees have gotten out of hand. I just booked 8 nights in March 2019 but am considering cancelling in my grace period.

Even though there are only 2 of us, we try to get a 2 bedroom unit due to the small size. I'm totally fine with the number of RCI points to exchange.

However, in addition to the $209 exchange fee, the daily fee at the resort now approaches $20 per day. If I read the fine print correctly, there is also a $50 RCI exchange fee just because. (Internet access is included in the daily fee.)

So, in addition to the MF for my RCI points an 8 day stay looks like $209 RCI fee, $160 daily fees and $50 just because fee for a total of $419 of additional fees.

I guess I'm wondering about others thoughts on these fees and whether they would be enough for you to decide not to exchange.

Thanks.
I add up the total for my maintenance fee for the week I am trading + exchange fee + all resort fees. If the amount is less then the maintenance fee if I owned at the resort I am trading into or if renting costs more then the total I am ok paying the resort fees.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
That's a good point. Doing that comes out to about $142 a night for my 8 day stay since my RCI points have pretty low MF. Lord knows I won't get a full 2 bedroom condo of this quality for that price elsewhere. Maybe I'll stick it out and keep the reservation.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. Doing that comes out to about $142 a night for my 8 day stay since my RCI points have pretty low MF. Lord knows I won't get a full 2 bedroom condo of this quality for that price elsewhere. Maybe I'll stick it out and keep the reservation.

As Panina pointed out, do the math. All these extra fees that resorts are now charging to exchange guests is becoming "ridiculous". However, if the nightly rate is still a "winner", don't get hung up on all those fees. If the math says it's too expensive with all the added fees, then go with another option (if available).

There's been discussions on other threads (for other resorts) about the added fees. One of my home resorts has recently added a $125 housekeeping fee for incoming exchange guests. In the past, I have exchanged back into my home resort through RCI. It's doubtful that I will do that in the future since I prefer to exchange back in during shoulder and off-season weeks. I have other options, so the math doesn't work for me with this new fee. However, if I chose to exchange back in during a prime summer week, then the math would work.

I think these add-on fees for exchange guests is becoming the new normal. The resorts have found a new money stream.

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
I guess they figure they can charge fees to exchangers so they do. Although I don't see how someone exchanging in is different from a housekeeping cost perspective than an owner using their week. My understanding has always been that maintenance fees include costs for housekeeping. So unless maintenance fees are held lower based on an expected amount of exchange fees there really isn't a justification. If a fixed week is automatically booked for the owner and additional administration work is required for an exchange I suppose I could see a single administration fee to non-owner occupied weeks. But resort and housekeeping fees charged only to exchangers when the same amount of maintenance fees were collected as for an owner occupied week seems pretty sleazy to me. Seriously, those services have already been paid for. Major double dipping!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I stayed there on a GPX bonus week a few years ago, really enjoyed the location. Unfortunately GPX is also charging fees to non-owners. I paid the fee at Coronado but that was the last time, I got rid of my unit and haven’t used them since.

I agree, the maint fees cover everything, there is no reason to charge someone exchanging in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
But resort and housekeeping fees charged only to exchangers when the same amount of maintenance fees were collected as for an owner occupied week seems pretty sleazy to me. Seriously, those services have already been paid for. Major double dipping!

Yes, housekeeping fees are included in maintenance fees. This housekeeping fee at my resort for $125 to only exchangers is definitely double-dipping. Maybe it doesn't matter to management that it can potentially drive exchangers away from these resorts due to the added fees, but it should matter to owners that are members of exchange companies. If folks stop exchanging in to these resorts, I would think that trade power would be affected.

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
Yes, housekeeping fees are included in maintenance fees. This housekeeping fee at my resort for $125 to only exchangers is definitely double-dipping. Maybe it doesn't matter to management that it can potentially drive exchangers away from these resorts due to the added fees, but it should matter to owners that are members of exchange companies. If folks stop exchanging in to these resorts, I would think that trade power would be affected.
We just stayed there about 3 weeks ago monday night only we are deed holders for a 1 bedroom 1 bath. It was $110. For the night. Your not going to find anything on the lake for $110 a night. But we have stayed there for bonus week or a weekend. This is the first time we only stayed for 1 night. But it was perfect. And Jason's has good french onion soup. And prime rib get there early and get your 20% off from redwolf.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Resort fees and exchange fees have grown so much since we started that we avoid making exchanges as much as possible. The last exchange we made was due to my wife changing jobs. It was either deposit or lose the week. We ended up paying the exchange fee to go back to our home resort in a lessor unit. It was like pouring salt in an open wound, but at least we managed some value for the week, even though is was poor value.

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
Resort fees and exchange fees have grown so much since we started that we avoid making exchanges as much as possible. The last exchange we made was due to my wife changing jobs. It was either deposit or lose the week. We ended up paying the exchange fee to go back to our home resort in a lessor unit. It was like pouring salt in an open wound, but at least we managed some value for the week, even though is was poor value.
Yes we had to cancel at our resort because of the smoke in tahoe. And now have the $189. Exchange fee we will have to pay to use it.

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
If anyone is getting rid of a 2bed 2 bath at redwolf lakeside lodge we are looking for one .a even year as we have a 1 bed 1 bath for the odd year.

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
We did go about 2 weeks ago for 1 day it was nice

Attachments

• image000000(4).jpg
    image000000(4).jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 13