• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recsinded successfully but new owner orientation deposit not refunded

Cafeboss

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts
Hello! I recently successfully recsinded an “upgrade” from a deeded week to the “US Collection” points system. Like many they got me to believing it was better, but in the long run it costs so much more & the points don’t cover everything they claimed it would.

Anyhow, they refunded my down payment & for the $49 new owner orientation they told me to contact someone in the resort’s QA department. So I did that via email for documentation purposes & the person replied that it may take a few days depending on the bank institution. 3 weeks passed & I respond to the email. No response & no refund. Using the same email trail I sent another email the other day. No response again. It has been 38 calendar days since he said it would be refunded. At this point I don’t think I’ll get the $49 back. It’s a stupid deposit that’s supposed to be refunded to you when you attend the orientation that I’ll never attend since I’ve recsinded the purchase.

Should I let it go or send another letter with all documentation to the DR corporate offices? I know it’s only $49 but this is not right for them to be able to keep the money & be so unprofessional to not even respond to me.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Hello! I recently successfully recsinded an “upgrade” from a deeded week to the “US Collection” points system. Like many they got me to believing it was better, but in the long run it costs so much more & the points don’t cover everything they claimed it would.

Anyhow, they refunded my down payment & for the $49 new owner orientation they told me to contact someone in the resort’s QA department. So I did that via email for documentation purposes & the person replied that it may take a few days depending on the bank institution. 3 weeks passed & I respond to the email. No response & no refund. Using the same email trail I sent another email the other day. No response again. It has been 38 calendar days since he said it would be refunded. At this point I don’t think I’ll get the $49 back. It’s a stupid deposit that’s supposed to be refunded to you when you attend the orientation that I’ll never attend since I’ve recsinded the purchase.

Should I let it go or send another letter with all documentation to the DR corporate offices? I know it’s only $49 but this is not right for them to be able to keep the money & unprofessional to not even respond to me.
What was the cost of the Original Ts purchase? It can’t hurt to send another letter.

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was the $49 put on a credit card? If it was I would call the credit card company and request a charge back. Good luck. No way would I let these honorable people get away with this nonsense.

Cafeboss

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts
What was the cost of the Original Ts purchase? It can’t hurt to send another letter.
The original deeded week timeshare was about $15k & the new upgrade” was about $40k for 11,000 points & $2000+ annual maintenance fees.

Cafeboss

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts
Was the $49 put on a credit card? If it was I would call the credit card company and request a charge back. Good luck. No way would I let these honorable people get away with this nonsense.
Unfortunately it was put on a debit card.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I would thank my lucky stars that the rescission went through and I saved the big bucks. I'd forget the $49 and chalk it up to a cheap learning experience...

George

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it was put on a debit card.

So what is your time worth? Will it take more than 4 hours to "try" and get this back?

If you have nothing to do with your time then I would pursue, but if you have a busy schedule it may be less stress on your part to let it slide; after all you did save yourself from a $15K purchase with $2K annual fees. In my mind you are way ahead of the game!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So what is your time worth? Will it take more than 4 hours to "try" and get this back?

If you have nothing to do with your time then I would pursue, but if you have a busy schedule it may be less stress on your part to let it slide; after all you did save yourself from a $15K purchase with $2K annual fees. In my mind you are way ahead of the game!

He actually saved $40k. The upgrade was $40k.

Cafeboss

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts
Thank you everyone for your input. I am grateful that I got out of a bad and expensive investment and I don’t think that trying to contact the “QA” department or anyone else at DR would get me a response in a timely manner. Good thing for emails that can be used as evidence though! I was able to get in contact with my bank who has filed a dispute for the charge. I explained that they agreed to issue the refund per that email but that they have not done so, nor answered any more of my emails. They asked for me to forward the emails and they filed the dispute. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it upheld.

As much as I would like to keep pursuing it through the DR channels to make a point, I am very busy and it would just be added “work” to get all the paperwork together to send to corporate DR. At least I have the documentation that their employee agreed to give me a refund but failed to follow through. What a bunch of liars!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
I stupidly signed up for timeshare in March this year, and they took out down payment with debit on my account in June. Now, October, I cannot afford the payment nor have time or $$ to travel like they suggested. I tried to dispute the charge with my bank, and they came back with signed paperwork. How can I fight this to get money back? $548.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I stupidly signed up for timeshare in March this year, and they took out down payment with debit on my account in June. Now, October, I cannot afford the payment nor have time or $$ to travel like they suggested. I tried to dispute the charge with my bank, and they came back with signed paperwork. How can I fight this to get money back? $548.
Sorry to say it. The $548 is gone.