• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommendations for basic 8 megapixel digital camera?

anniemac

TUG Member
Reaction score
What would you folks recommend for someone who isn't a photo bug but just wants to take a handful of photos here and there. It would be nice to record short video clips once in a blue moon. I would like something simple to use with good pic sharpness and quality. It looks like BestBuy has a pretty large range of 8 megapixel cameras for under $200 - sounds good to me. Recommendations?

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many good cameras in that price range.

Check out reviews on www.dpreview.com

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I just bought a Kodak C713 ($77, 7mp, the C813 is 8Mp and $88) at Fry's Electronics. It's amazing what you can get for that price nowadays. It's not rugged and it doesn't have a long list of bells and whistles, but I can read the legend on the (relatively) few buttons. No viewfinder at that price, just the LCD screen, which is difficult in bright light.

But for 95% of casual picture taking, it'll do fine. It can edit and crop in the camera, it does video and can snag stills out of a video sequence. Don't know yet how good the flash is. It's fast enough when booting, and between pictures in most cases. Uses SD card.

There were several others in that price range, and a lot more under $200.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
You can't go wrong with anything Cannon makes. My wife has an S3IS and I'm contemplating buying the newer S5IS. Both are a little more expensive than the typical point and shoot but they take great pictures, even when you leave them on automatic and just start snapping photo's. I also have a smaller, pocket size Cannon Powershot camera that takes very nice point and shoot photo's. Most of the more recent timeshare pics on my Webshots page have been taken with the smaller, less expensive Powershot.

Almost all digital camera's have the ability to take short digital movies. That shouldn't be a problem when making your decision.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My suggestion I would also look very closely at Canon PowerShot SD11000 IS about $220. It has a 3x optical zoom lens, display very good image quality and have excellent dynamic range.

Dougp26364, has an outstanding collection of photos from around the world taking with a Canon camera.

Good luck enjoy your t/s week.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently own two Canon PowerShot SD series compact cameras and have been a Canon advocate for many years. However, I strongly suggest you look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5. It rates considerably higher than the PowerShots largely because of the extraordinary high quality Leica 11 element lens.

The camera has a 10mp capacity. It features a 10x optical zoom and image stabilization that are not available on similar Canon products. There are many other features that are very nice.

Check out the review HERE.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to be argumentative, just expressing genuine puzzlement.

Why would someone doing just causal photography want/need an 8 megapixel camera? As I understand it, the extra pixels are only useful if you are printing very large prints. Most people do not do this (ever). In the meantime, you run through your memory while on vacation shooting pictures in higher resolution than your printer can handle. The solution would be to set the camera on lower resolution, but most casual picture takers that I have seen do not know how to or do not bother to do this. On top of that, they never have any need to use the higher resolution.

It seems to me that most people would be better off with a lower resolution camera which allows them to save more photos on the same sized memory chip.

What am I missing???

A puzzled TUGGER - TIA for your answers.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Roger-
The other advantage to higher mp cameras is that you can crop more (which is comparable to printing larger images, but just of a portion of the image). That is really helpful when taking pictures where your optical zoom is inadequate (for example, scenery at a distance or perhaps a person/people in the water, etc.).

SD and CF memory cards are so cheap nowadays that it makes sense to shoot in large image format and have a higher mp camera.

I concur that the OP can't go wrong with one of the Canons. The digital Elph line has small (pocketable) cameras with excellent image quality. The S3 or S5IS suggested above is also a great camera; the trade-off for longer zoom is a somewhat heftier size.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
What your missing is "pixel density". The high capacity cameras will give you a much sharper image than the low capacity cameras. Much of that comes from the size of the sensor chip.

anniemac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks, I'll check out a Canon. For some reason I seldom take photos but every once in a while want to post something on ebay or take a couple of snaps at the pool or at a wedding or somewhere and see the great shots taken by young kids with pocket sized cameras:) I need one! Thanks for the advice.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I own the Canon SD700IS and just recently purchased the Canon SD790IS for my daughters birthday. I've had just about all of them it seems like at one time or another. The two main reasons I like Canon's are their basic point and shoot functionality and the image stabilization feature. Hands not quite as steady as they used to be. Here's a review on the SD790IS for you.

Brett

Reaction score
I'll just second the Canon recommendation and www.dpreview.com for reviews and info. I'll also add that a family member has a Panasonic TZ5 and for being small, compact, 10X zoom it's good too. plus if you don't care about manual controls the TZ5 has a good "intelligent auto" mode.