• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommendation for online prescription eyeglass site???

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to try buying my next pair of glasses online. I have a simple prescription and only wear my glasses about 20 minutes a day before I fall asleep. I don't need anything fancy or special.

Anyone have any experience with a particular site you can recommend?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Been buying all my glasses from www.zennioptical.com for years. Great glasses, great price. My high style frames, bifocal, hardened, anti-glare coating, at Costco would be over $400, at Zenni are $50ish

Merbears

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been using Zenni as well. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
Well, guess I will add my 2 cents.....

I have also used Zenni for several years. I find their prices so reasonable I now order 2 pair at a time...... I will say, I think their frame quality is not as good as the expensive stuff, but I can by 2 pair for 1/2 the price of the expensive ones, so still a win!

Also, I will add, I have taken a pair of glasses to the doctor and had the lenses tested to verify that they matched the prescriptions. They passed. So the prescription matching is good.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did the in-home frame trial from Warby Parker, and it did help me narrow down the best size and shape for my face. But when I went to price my prescription, it was $300 -more than I was willing to spend for ordering online.

My first pair of online glasses are now on their way from Zenni. High index, anti-glare, progressives for under $75. (Found online coupon code for 20% off). Hope they work - my intention was to get a spare pair and then get new lenses in my current frames since I still like them.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK. Now the caveat emptor bit. Most eyeglass prescriptions don't include your pupil distance (PD). You can measure it yourself, or have a friend hold up a ruler that measures in millimeters. Or you can drop in to any optical shop and they'll measure that for you.

Once you set up an account at Zenni, you can upload a photo of your face and 'try on' any glasses that suit you if you don't find any of their 'models' that have a face with your shape and coloration.

As others have said, the quality is good, but not great. They customarily last me well longer than I should be wearing them, and the price is so low that I can buy glasses for several modes of dress. Somewhat formal, novelty (red, square ones), even mid-distance ones to computer with, polarized shades for fly-fishing.

Try Zenni. You'll wonder what took you so long.

Jim

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just set up an account at Zenni! It takes your picture and a video so you can try on lenses realistically. That is always a chore and I need DD to help me make the right choice. Few frames look good on me, plus I don’t want to accentuate my wrinkles! I hope to actually order something. Shopping in a store or office during COVID is too much monkey business.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK. Now the caveat emptor bit. Most eyeglass prescriptions don't include your pupil distance (PD). You can measure it yourself, or have a friend hold up a ruler that measures in millimeters. Or you can drop in to any optical shop and they'll measure that for you.
Or call your provider if you have recently ordered prescription eyeglasses. Costco optical was very accommodating to look up and tell me my PD over the phone.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
I always look to Clark Howard for consumer advice and he recommends Zenni too.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Some caveats from an eye doctor... for single vision (that is, distance or reading, but not both) with little or no astigmatism, it is a simple process to get the Rx correct. If the lens power is from -4.00 to +4.00 in the “sphere” you don’t need to sweat the PD. Use 62 for distance or 58 for near. (See Prentice’s Rule if you can to calculate the induced prism, but take my word for it, it’s nominal and not relevant if your PD is off by 3-4mm). As you get over 4 “diopter” of power two factors start coming into play. First, PD becomes increasingly important. More important is “vertex distance” which is the distance from your eye to your lens. Most prescriptions are written with an assumed vertex of about 13mm. But the “effective power” of a lens changes with distance. Think of a magnifier lens — as you move it away it magnifies more. Same effect. So your Rx will not be correct if your higher powered lenses are too close or too far from your eye. That’s a function of how the frame and the nose bridge fit.

As for bifocals, two issues. On traditional flat top (FT25 or FT28) the issue is the height of the bifocal. Too high puts it in your line of sight and will annoy you a lot. Too low and it’ll be hard to get your eyes into the reading area.

More commonly today people get progressives. These are challenging to fit correctly in the office, much less mail order. And their are a dozen or so different designs that vary, with some being much better for some people than others. They vary by width, rate of change, and the nature and amount of peripheral distortion. High end progressives have far less distortion. Critical in the fit is ensuring that your pupil is directly over the center of the progressive zone. this requires a measure of your -monocular- PD, the distance from the center of your nose to the center of each pupil. Few of us are symmetrical. It may be 30mm in one eye and 33mm in the other. If not precisely measured and made the progressive glasses will be anywhere from suboptimal to unwearable. However, even if measured and fit correctly, if the TYPE of progressive is not right, it will also be from suboptimal to unwearable. Computer use requires a very different type of progressive than reading a book, for instance. So, buyer beware on progressives!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all - Zenni was the winner and my first order place!