• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommendation for hotel in Puerto Vallarta for early arrival to Vidanta

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I will be at the GL June 11-18 with one of my family units. Due to flight costs, two of the grandkids (adults) might fly in this Wednesday and stay two nights in the city; they have found really cheap rates on some relatively well rated hotels on the beach near the Malecon. Any recommendations as to a decent hotel along there?

Thanks, Mikenk

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Buganvilias has a hotel side. We haven't ever used that side, but do own on the TS side and like the resort a lot. It's not directly in the noisier area in the city, but close enough to walk to the Malecon.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I think they will enjoy it no matter where they stay.
It will add to their PV knowledge & exploration.

About 10 years ago we were in PV and went to Pitial to explore for the afternoon. There are some little
hotels there. We checked out one that was set up like a 1960's courtyard motel. ( 20-30 rooms -ground floor parking - 2 upper floors-room doors exited onto a balcony walkway that over looked the parking).
As I recall the price was about $25 per night / by the week. The rooms were basic clean- mostly tile - ceiling fan -no a/c. The manager said in the winter they had American & Canadian budget tourists who would stay there.
There was a community Mexican style cooking grill on the parking level - so you could make tacos and heat food .

At the time our sons were in their early 20's and traveling & staying in hostels.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just go to TripAdvisor and pick, according to the ratings and reviews. There are a ton of great choices.

jpfordz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VDP-Flamingos
Sheraton Flex
I have stayed at Encino Hotel Puerto Vallarta when flying in on Wednesdays. It's clean, close to the Malecon and inexpensive.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that Buganvillias is a great choice. As mentioned trip advisor will give lots of options. I would choose something near the Malecon or romantic zone as that is a very different experience than the resort feel of the Vidanta property. They are considerably younger and will likely enjoy being able to walk and see the beach vendors, experience the people trying to get them to come in or buy something, and the Mexican feel that is not a part of the Vidanta experience.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Buganvilias Hotel is Sheraton - which is part of the Marriott group now. The rooms are nice and you use the same facilies at the Vacation Club. Some good restaurants in walking distance and a nice walk to the Malecon. One of our kids and friends stayed there one or two nights when they went early. Then they moved over to our place at the Vacation Club.

In 2019, our other son and wife arrived on a THursday and stayed at Hotel Bonaventura and liked it. https://www.hotelbuenaventura.com.mx/

You can also check VRBO. You can find some place in Old Town there. We were going to stay in a condo down there last year and had to cancel because of Covid. Daily rates are more expensive than a week, but there are quite a few hotels in that area too. Not Vidanta quality, but clean and can be a fun experience. Check Trip Advisor too.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I know I'm late to this discussion, but for future reference ... Tradingplaces.com has a last minute 'hot deals' section on their website. They manage a few properties in Puerto Vallarta, and you can often find something for half what typical maintenance fees are, especially if you travel in off seasons.