• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommend a worldwide GPS?

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I have a Garmin nuvi that's a few years old and probably cost $125. It has maps of only the US.

We're going to spend some time in Europe, and I've looked into getting maps of Europe (and Mexico) for the nuvi, and it seems complicated ... and expensive too. There are some "worldwide" GPS's on Amazon, but they seem to be over $200.

Does anyone have a GPS that includes maps of Europe (and maybe Mexico too)?

Or should I just look once I get there? Tuggers in Europe, what does a 5-inch GPS with maps of Europe cost?

Or will the Android Maps program serve us, as it pretty much has here in northwestern Mexico?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
With Google maps, you need data, which may get expensive. While you can now download maps for offline use, they are limited. There are apps that allow you to use them offline. TheOneI use is no longer supported, but there are others, and you can try out before you leave. Look for these.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When we went to Scotland a few years ago, we bought a GB map for our Garmin that came on a micro-SD and all we had to do was put it in an adapter and load it. Having the Garmin helped immensely, 'cept it didn't have all the road closures in Edinburgh, nor did it remind us that a U-Turn meant turning left.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does your Garmin have a micro sd slot? Have you checked eBay for map cards? They are reasonable and easy to use. Using your phone for navigation in Europe may result in very high data bills, and not be as accurate and quick to re-route as a stand-alone unit.

Jim

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Thanks all, but my request was for suggestions about a GPS with Europe maps.

Yes, I have a T-Mobile samsung Avant -- and T-mobile gives free data in 120+ countries, including almost all of Europe. So phone maps are not an expense.

And I have a line on a used Garmin CN NT chip from Craigslist for $45.

But I wouldn't pay $99.99 for a map to put in a 4-year-old $125 GPS. I'd give it to someone first, and buy another $125 GPS with built-in Europe (hopefully with unlimited updates) maps.

That's why I asked the TUG community for suggestions about such a phone.

What about a TomTom VIA 1505M WTE?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Dave,
If you have a great data plan you should be good with Google maps. OSM maps is highly rated, if you want an offline backup in case you are out of data range:

OSM App Play Store

You can try it out now and see if it suits your needs.

Using your phone, you don't have to worry about loss or theft of another standalone device.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We rented a car with GPS when we went to Scotland. It essentially got us lost, so I resorted to my good old fashioned paper map.

We are going to Canada for just a couple of days int he spring and we are using a paper map. And we don't have a smart phone that will work in Canada either. Hope all goes well because we will not have internet either while there- unless we can use a computer in the hotel.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We rented a car with GPS when we went to Scotland. It essentially got us lost, so I resorted to my good old fashioned paper map.

We are going to Canada for just a couple of days int he spring and we are using a paper map. And we don't have a smart phone that will work in Canada either. Hope all goes well because we will not have internet either while there- unless we can use a computer in the hotel.

Not to hijack this thread, but are you saying you don't have smartphones, or the smartphones you have won't work in Canada? We have Verizon and we were able to add an international service that only cost us $2/day (each) and only for the days we used it. That covered calls and text, the allowance came from our existing plan. Very reasonable and well worth it.

Also, we took our own portable GPS and it worked fine in Canada.

zinger1457

Reaction score
I had a TomTom and it will do what you're asking as long as you purchased the right 'lifetime' option. The more common 'Lifetime Maps' option only provides free updates of the maps that came on your device which is typically US, Canada, and Mexico. There is also a 'Lifetime World Maps' option that will give you access to all of their world maps.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Not to hijack this thread, but are you saying you don't have smartphones, or the smartphones you have won't work in Canada? We have Verizon and we were able to add an international service that only cost us $2/day (each) and only for the days we used it. That covered calls and text, the allowance came from our existing plan. Very reasonable and well worth it.

Also, we took our own portable GPS and it worked fine in Canada.

No- we do not have smart phones.

I do have one- actually- but it is not mine. It belongs to my employer and used on the job.

We do have a GPS but I don't think it works in foreign countries. Its an old refurbished one.

I do have a phone from Mobal that only works in foreign countries, but it is not a smart phone. No monthly charge and only charged when use it.

Last edited:

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Google maps works as far our as in the Philippines--for free with your phone. However, out of network data charges apply, so some savvy travelers buy local SIM cards for that.