• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recently widowed. Need advice.

DJM-abFL

Reaction score
Hi All,

A year and a half ago I lost my husband (suddenly and unexpectedly) and he was the one who mostly dealt with RCI, however, I have a pretty solid understanding of the basics.

I own two red weeks in Duck, NC (The Outerbanks); one is beachfront (1 bedroom) and one is part of a beach front resort (short walk to the beach). The latter is a lock-out unit (3 bedrooms in all). I am currently a RCI Points Platinum member.

I have about 215,000 "current use year" points and they will expire July 31, 2018. I have not yet booked anything. I did some searches, I called and talked to an agent but in truth, I simply don't want to travel alone.

I know I can spend MORE MONEY with RCI and reserve those points for 2 more years, but that means that I'd need to renew my membership which expires July 2018...thus EVEN MORE MONEY. (It's not this amount of money is a problem, but RCI always seems to have their hand out and I don't see throwing good money after bad.)

Last year I got one of my units back and was able to rent it (although I don't think you are supposed to do that). I have the same (beach front) unit for rent this year. The rental income (after commission) more than covers the annual resort fee.

I'm thinking that my best option is to NOT renew my RCI Points Membership and simply start putting both of my units up for rent each year while using the rental income to cover my resort fees (and even have some left over). Yes, I'd love to sell them, but I gather that's nearly impossible, or at the very least, a subject for another day.

So, I'd like your insights on:

1. What do you think of this plan? (I'm wondering if there is some serious benefit I'd lose by letting my RCI membership lapse, or something of that nature.)

2. If I do this, is there anything I can do with my current use points (other than using them for a resort vacation before 7-31-18)?

I have done a lot of reading on here and am amazed at how adept so many of you are at understanding RCI so I value any responses you are willing to share.

Many thanks!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
My condolences on your loss.

You can rent/sell the use of your points, all or some of them, to another RCI member. From the discussion on another thread I learned that transferred points will have the expiration date of the current use year of the owner they are transferred to. If you look in the marketplace adds here on TUG you can see other people's listings for their excess RCI points. I've also seen listings on eBay for them too.

In a post on another thread there was discussion about if you dropped your RCI membership what you own would revert back to weeks instead of points. Many people prefer points over weeks and if you want to get rid of your timeshares down the road it will likely be easier to do if they are in the points program.

Turning over your week(s) to the resort to rent is different. Most resorts have rental programs for the owners.

Do you have any family that would be interested in taking over your timeshares if you no longer want them? You can also transfer your RCI membership and any paid up membership fees which is another reason to keep up your RCI membership.

There are many other widowed, divorced, single women who travel together. In fact at one time I believe there was a group of them here on TUG. There are so many fun places to go that you can book through RCI if you meet other women who would like to travel.

DJM-abFL

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

When you say that by dropping Points I might revert back to weeks, do you mean that if I decided to jump back in after lapsing, RCI points would no longer be an option. As I type this I seem to remember paying some ridiculous fee to get into the points system (years ago) so by lapsing, maybe I lose the privilege.

I think my stepson/daughter-in-law/grandkids might be interested later, but they aren't in a position to use them right now.

Didn't know you could sell points. I'll look into that. Thank you.

I should have made this clear perhaps, but I am male. My husband and I were about to go on our 30th anniversary cruise and then suddenly, one afternoon, he was gone. Grief makes everything harder and by the time you work through all the estate minutia, something like the maze that is RCI seems overwhelming, so I appreciate your help!

DJM-abFL

Reaction score
I found this on another site. It speaks only to resale, not dropping out of and then re-entering the RCI Points system, but nonetheless, I'm posting here in case someone else is interested. I'll call my resort in the morning to see what their policy is.

Converting to RCI Points
If an owner has a week of timeshare at a resort which is designated as an RCI Points-affiliated resort, the resort can convert the ownership from a weeks product to points, which is completed for a fee determined by the resort. Once the points have been purchased and assigned to the owner, they can enroll into an RCI Points membership with RCI and begin using their points in a number of ways - based on the criteria of the program.

In relation to the timeshare resale market, please understand that, in many instances, RCI Points cannot be directly sold or transferred to another owner since the sale of RCI Points on the secondary market is subject to the approval of the home resort. Because it was the timeshare week that was originally sold and was deeded, either as a resort real estate week or perhaps as part of a Trust product, it is the timeshare week that is the product normally transferred, not the points.

If a prospective buyer agrees to purchase a timeshare connected with RCI Points from an owner on the resale market, the buyer should first confirm whether that resort is an RCI Points-affiliated resort. In some instances, the resort will revert the ownership back to a weeks product, whereby the resort can attempt to upgrade the week back to a points product for a fee. Other resorts have been known to approve the sale of points from an existing owner to a resale buyer, without the ownership reverting back to a weeks product, but that is done at the discretion of the resort.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

When you say that by dropping Points I might revert back to weeks, do you mean that if I decided to jump back in after lapsing, RCI points would no longer be an option. As I type this I seem to remember paying some ridiculous fee to get into the points system (years ago) so by lapsing, maybe I lose the privilege.

I think my stepson/daughter-in-law/grandkids might be interested later, but they aren't in a position to use them right now.

Didn't know you could sell points. I'll look into that. Thank you.

I should have made this clear perhaps, but I am male. My husband and I were about to go on our 30th anniversary cruise and then suddenly, one afternoon, he was gone. Grief makes everything harder and by the time you work through all the estate minutia, something like the maze that is RCI seems overwhelming, so I appreciate your help!

I am sorry for the loss of your husband. I, too, wonder if I would still want to travel if something happened to my husband, partner and friend.

I also own timeshares on the Outer Banks. You state that they are red weeks. Most red weeks (specifically weeks 24-34) still have some resale value since it is a high demand area. I am assuming that you probably own at Ocean Pines and Barrier Island Station since those two resorts used to heavily "convert" fixed weeks to RCI Points for "some ridiculous fee."

215,000 RCI Points is a lot of points. Yes, people do sell RCI Points that they cannot use or to recoup some of their maintenance fees. I have bought others' RCI Points many times over the years. While RCI currently rents extra Points for $.03/per point, most sellers list them for about $.01/per point. The first transfer is free. After that, there is a $98 fee per transfer. RCI does not allow for the commercial sale of points. However, folks simply do not disclose to RCI that a sale took place, only a transfer to another member's account. With a shorter use life of points, it may be necessary to sweeten the deal by discounting them a bit under $.01/per point.

Perhaps if you're really interested in selling your timeshares, then the extra points could be transferred to the buyer in order to sweeten that deal.

Your thoughts on pulling these weeks out of RCI Points is also doable in order to rent out your weeks each year. However, you will need to be sure that you reserve your "home" weeks 13 months in advance or else the weeks will revert to points. Then you will not be able to rent the weeks. If you did not reserve your red weeks for 2018 back in 2017, then those weeks have already reverted to RCI Points for 2018. For 2019, your weeks will need to be reserved in 2018 between 12 and 13 months from check-in. You will also need to do this if you decide that you are going to sell the timeshares so that the new owner will have the option of using the actual weeks in 2019.

I know how you feel about "more money, more money" when it comes to RCI. I have been an RCI Weeks member for 34 years and a points member for about 10 years. The money grab with RCI has reached a level where it's become a tipping point for me. My membership expires June 2019 and all my deposits and points will be used up. I do not plan to renew my Platinum RCI membership and will utilize other options. I have rented out my prime Outer Banks weeks for many years vs. depositing them with RCI.

I am currently selling my Ocean Pines week 29, which is in RCI Points. The new owner does not want the week in RCI Points, so it will be removed. The 2018 week was reserved 13 months from check-in; therefore, they will have use of the 2018 week. The RCI Points contract will be cancelled prior to the "home week" reservation period for 2019. Therefore, the ownership will revert back to its fixed week status.

I purchased my first timeshare in 1984 at Barrier Island Station and have been a long-time owner at Ocean Pines. If I may answer any other questions or assist you further, please post on TUG or PM me.

Welcome to TUG and I hope the advice and opinions given here will assist you with your decisions regarding your timeshares and RCI. Time is of the essence if you do not wish to spend more money with RCI to renew your membership or extend your points.

DJM-abFL

Reaction score
I am sorry for the loss of your husband. I, too, wonder if I would still want to travel if something happened to my husband, partner and friend.

I also own timeshares on the Outer Banks. You state that they are red weeks. Most red weeks (specifically weeks 24-34) still have some resale value since it is a high demand area. I am assuming that you probably own at Ocean Pines and Barrier Island Station since those two resorts used to heavily "convert" fixed weeks to RCI Points for "some ridiculous fee."

215,000 RCI Points is a lot of points. Yes, people do sell RCI Points that they cannot use or to recoup some of their maintenance fees. I have bought others' RCI Points many times over the years. While RCI currently rents extra Points for $.03/per point, most sellers list them for about $.01/per point. The first transfer is free. After that, there is a $98 fee per transfer. RCI does not allow for the commercial sale of points. However, folks simply do not disclose to RCI that a sale took place, only a transfer to another member's account. With a shorter use life of points, it may be necessary to sweeten the deal by discounting them a bit under $.01/per point.

Perhaps if you're really interested in selling your timeshares, then the extra points could be transferred to the buyer in order to sweeten that deal.

Your thoughts on pulling these weeks out of RCI Points is also doable in order to rent out your weeks each year. However, you will need to be sure that you reserve your "home" weeks 13 months in advance or else the weeks will revert to points. Then you will not be able to rent the weeks. If you did not reserve your red weeks for 2018 back in 2017, then those weeks have already reverted to RCI Points for 2018. For 2019, your weeks will need to be reserved in 2018 between 12 and 13 months from check-in. You will also need to do this if you decide that you are going to sell the timeshares so that the new owner will have the option of using the actual weeks in 2019.

I know how you feel about "more money, more money" when it comes to RCI. I have been an RCI Weeks member for 34 years and a points member for about 10 years. The money grab with RCI has reached a level where it's become a tipping point for me. My membership expires June 2019 and all my deposits and points will be used up. I do not plan to renew my Platinum RCI membership and will utilize other options. I have rented out my prime Outer Banks weeks for many years vs. depositing them with RCI.

I am currently selling my Ocean Pines week 29, which is in RCI Points. The new owner does not want the week in RCI Points, so it will be removed. The 2018 week was reserved 13 months from check-in; therefore, they will have use of the 2018 week. The RCI Points contract will be cancelled prior to the "home week" reservation period for 2019. Therefore, the ownership will revert back to its fixed week status.

I purchased my first timeshare in 1984 at Barrier Island Station and have been a long-time owner at Ocean Pines. If I may answer any other questions or assist you further, please post on TUG or PM me.

Welcome to TUG and I hope the advice and opinions given here will assist you with your decisions regarding your timeshares and RCI. Time is of the essence if you do not wish to spend more money with RCI to renew your membership or extend your points.

Thank you, Egret!

Yes, Ocean Pines (is the oceanfront one) plus BIS... weeks 25 and 26 as I recall. I don't think I am ready to sell because there may be a point at which my stepson/family might want them (although, in some way it might feel like "giving a gift that keeps on taking" if you know what I mean ).

When we lived near the Outer Banks we used the weeks and enjoyed them. We too bought BIS sometime in the 80s (but Ocean Pines we bought on the secondary market in the early 90s)

Can you recommend a site for selling my points? If I reduced them to .005, would that be a fair price considering they must be used by July 31? Also, can I stipulate that the buyer must buy all points, or in blocks of 75,000, e.g.? The reason I ask is that the typical trade seems to be c. 35,000 points. At .005 that's $175. Then the next sale of 35,000 points I have to pay the transfer fee. A lot of hassle and not very much to show for it so it. At any rate, from your experience, I'd appreciate any best practices you may be aware of.

Thank you for the heads up about getting my units back. I was aware of the 13 month rule and I called in 2017 to make it possible to rent Ocean Pines this year. (I have a repeat 'tickler' in my calendar to remind me about calling every year. ;-)

Regarding resale, etc., this is what I understand from your reply: You believe it is best to stay a member of RCI points in case I want to sell down the road (because for some people, being in the Points system adds value). Therefore, if I only wish to rent for awhile, I should remain a member of RCI points, ask for my weeks back every year, and rent the units (as opposed to dropping RCI and renting). If I my stepson/family want to take ownership, Points also allows them more options.

This makes sense to me, but I want to be sure I got it right from your perspective. ??

I sincerely appreciate your thorough response and the time it took you. It was very helpful!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe you have it "right on" with your understanding about RCI points.

Reserve your underlying weeks and rent those. Use the "tickler reminder" to BOOK your underlying weeks.

Right now, your world is in flux ... it will settle down and life will reset. Using those weeks or going to other places (with the RCI points) might be a good way to continue life down the road. You can ALWAYS sell them later ... but I believe grief therapists recommend NOT MAKING BIG changes in your life for a good year .. if you can financially afford to.

Do NOT keep these weeks IF you ARE not going to use for yourself or if you are will be unable to pay MFs NOW or later ... but it might take TIME to re-gift or sell them.

My sister's husband died VERY unexpectedly several years ago. I was her only single sibling but we lived 1600+ miles apart. I planned and did 2 Disney World trips with her (any place she & her husband had NEVER gone together was my goal). She has rebuilt her world, is happy and loving life. But those 'big timeline days' are really hard as she still visits or calls his elderly (and alone) father then.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
It is my understanding that when you rent your points/transfer them to another RCI member the points take on that owner's use year end date. If you would drop out of points, reverting to just weeks, it is typically very expensive for you or a new owner to get back into the points program which is why I recommend you stay in RCI. The platinum benefits automatically extend your points for an additional year and you can pay to extend them. You always have the option, like Egret 1986 said, of booking your weeks 12-13 months out and renting them.

Is there a support group suited to your needs in your area? Perhaps you will meet some new people who would be interested in vacationing together. The lock out unit would be perfect for traveling with other people and still having some privacy.

My husband and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary this month so we are in that age bracket when many people lose the person who is their "other half". Not something we like to contemplate and my heart aches for you on the loss of your husband and the timing of his passing. Having it happen when had plans for a cruise to celebrate a big anniversary is very painful.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I am ready to sell because there may be a point at which my stepson/family might want them (although, in some way it might feel like "giving a gift that keeps on taking" if you know what I mean ).

Yes, I do know what you mean. There may be a point or not when family may want your timeshares. My sons aren't interested in timesharing, though they enjoyed many years of going on timeshare vacations as a family. That may change one day, but I won't base my timeshare ownership on what they may or may not want in the future.

When you're in a better place and time for decision making, base your decisions on you. Family wanting or being able to afford the expenses of your timeshares may never happen, but the fees will still keep rolling in and probably increasing.

If your not "ready to sell", then hold off and rent your weeks to cover your expenses until you are ready to sell. If and when you get ready to sell, TUG is a great place for information on doing just that.

I started a private conversation with you.

Best wishes to you.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hi All,

A year and a half ago I lost my husband (suddenly and unexpectedly) and he was the one who mostly dealt with RCI, however, I have a pretty solid understanding of the basics.

I own two red weeks in Duck, NC (The Outerbanks); one is beachfront (1 bedroom) and one is part of a beach front resort (short walk to the beach). The latter is a lock-out unit (3 bedrooms in all). I am currently a RCI Points Platinum member.

I have about 215,000 "current use year" points and they will expire July 31, 2018. I have not yet booked anything. I did some searches, I called and talked to an agent but in truth, I simply don't want to travel alone.

I know I can spend MORE MONEY with RCI and reserve those points for 2 more years, but that means that I'd need to renew my membership which expires July 2018...thus EVEN MORE MONEY. (It's not this amount of money is a problem, but RCI always seems to have their hand out and I don't see throwing good money after bad.)

Last year I got one of my units back and was able to rent it (although I don't think you are supposed to do that). I have the same (beach front) unit for rent this year. The rental income (after commission) more than covers the annual resort fee.

I'm thinking that my best option is to NOT renew my RCI Points Membership and simply start putting both of my units up for rent each year while using the rental income to cover my resort fees (and even have some left over). Yes, I'd love to sell them, but I gather that's nearly impossible, or at the very least, a subject for another day.

So, I'd like your insights on:

1. What do you think of this plan? (I'm wondering if there is some serious benefit I'd lose by letting my RCI membership lapse, or something of that nature.)

2. If I do this, is there anything I can do with my current use points (other than using them for a resort vacation before 7-31-18)?

I have done a lot of reading on here and am amazed at how adept so many of you are at understanding RCI so I value any responses you are willing to share.

Many thanks!
I was in your situation. I understand and am sorry for your loss.

When my husband passed I didn’t timeshare for 2 1/2 years as the thought of timesharing without him was too painful.

In time I started using my timeshare for trades and found single friends who wanted to travel with me. I paid the maintenance and they came along, I had good company and they had a good deal. I found I still enjoyed traveling.

Fast forward 10 years and I still am timesharing. Ultimately do what feels right for you.

DJM-abFL

Reaction score
Dear All, I'm a professional musician and my work load comes in ebbs and flow. I'm in a flow for a few days, so I will reply more thoroughly in a couple days. Meanwhile, I didn't want to seem ungrateful for your thoughtful responses. I can't tell you how useful your replies have been and beyond that, how touched I am by your empathy and gentle advice. Grief is an arduous trek (been on it a little over a year and a half) and making decisions takes three times the effort because your adviser, soulmate, best friend... is no longer there to reason it out and make them with you. I have loving family and friends but their knowledge of timeshares is nonexistent, so it is comforting to have your advice (and concern) as I suss this out. More later and thank you again!