• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 26 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $16,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $16 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recent Owner Updates With Tales of Vistana/MVC Merger

GabrielSmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas
I purchased a resale WKORV 2BR EOYO at the end of 2019 for $3000. (I know, GREAT DEAL!) I purchased from SMTN and had a great experience with Ryan. In the beginning of Sept my wife and I went to The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa and stayed for a week in a 2BR ocean view for 56k SO. While we were there we went to an owners updated where they tried to sell us Westin Adventures (which we declined.) The very last package of 44k points EOY for $10k to make our resale "authorized" we also declined. The salesman told us that unless we made our unit "authorized" we would not be able to take advantage of the additional 80+ properties in MVC. We declined and got our free excursion to swim with dolphins, which was fantastic! I spoke to another Vistana rep when I got back state side and she tried to sell me on Westin Flex and told me that with the merger that Vistana and MVC are going to a "Pure Point" system and the new dashboard will be launched in April 2022. Who knows if that's actually correct or not. Needless to say, playing the waiting game to see what actually happens.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Platinum, Sheraton Flex.
They have two types of explorer packages. I don't understand the logic of pricing and points on them. One package is for a return to the resort you are touring. This one comes with 100K Bonvoy and is cheaper. The other package is to return to any resort and is only 50K Bonvoy and you can book at any resort.
Thanks. . . I should have been more clear. They initially offered the more flexible package. But living in CO and with the return being at the Westin made the more restrictive package better for my us.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Platinum, Sheraton Flex.
I purchased a resale WKORV 2BR EOYO at the end of 2019 for $3000. (I know, GREAT DEAL!) I purchased from SMTN and had a great experience with Ryan. In the beginning of Sept my wife and I went to The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa and stayed for a week in a 2BR ocean view for 56k SO. While we were there we went to an owners updated where they tried to sell us Westin Adventures (which we declined.) The very last package of 44k points EOY for $10k to make our resale "authorized" we also declined. The salesman told us that unless we made our unit "authorized" we would not be able to take advantage of the additional 80+ properties in MVC. We declined and got our free excursion to swim with dolphins, which was fantastic! I spoke to another Vistana rep when I got back state side and she tried to sell me on Westin Flex and told me that with the merger that Vistana and MVC are going to a "Pure Point" system and the new dashboard will be launched in April 2022. Who knows if that's actually correct or not. Needless to say, playing the waiting game to see what actually happens.
interesting that you mention pure points; the Explorer price lock showed only ‘per point’ pricing for the Sheraton and Westin flex programs. That may have been the case for awhile, but I have not been on an update since 2018.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. What a bunch of sales garbage. As a resale owner of WKORV you already are "authorized" to use SO points because WKORV is a mandatory property; resale owners get these rights. If the rep is referring to the ability to convert your SOs to Bonvoy, well, that is of little value because Bonvoy is devaluing like a rock so your best value is to use the property or SOs anyway. Congrats on your nice deal.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West
SVV - Bella
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I was at SVV last week and they called me at 8am on Labor Day to “welcome me” and to say they “see that I haven’t scheduled an owners update yet”. It took every nerve in my body to hold my composure and not lose it on them for waking me up so early with that nonsense. Looking back at it, I should have went on the update. I would have brought a bucket of popcorn for the comedy show I would have listened to.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Harbour Lake
SVV - Bella
SVV - Key West
I was at SVV last week and they called me at 8am on Labor Day to “welcome me” and to say they “see that I haven’t scheduled an owners update yet”. It took every nerve in my body to hold my composure and not lose it on them for waking me up so early with that nonsense. Looking back at it, I should have went on the update. I would have brought a bucket of popcorn for the comedy show I would have listened to.
Perhaps they would have assigned you to Mike again!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West
SVV - Bella
Regal Vista at Massanutten
The thought of dealing with that guy again is why I refused to partake in any of their sales nonsense

Jax44

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did our Explorer package presentation yesterday at WKORV. Didn’t buy!. The new Explorer packages are 5 nights , 1bedroom is now 1894.00 with 100,000 points. Didn’t buy this either.
Vague talk of the merger early next year.
So a question: we are planning on buying resale from a friend, 2 bed ocean view, every year at North. Would you go ahead at this time or wait and see what transpires?.
We currently have no timeshares.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
Did our Explorer package presentation yesterday at WKORV. Didn’t buy!. The new Explorer packages are 5 nights , 1bedroom is now 1894.00 with 100,000 points. Didn’t buy this either.
So a question: we are planning on buying resale from a friend, 2 bed ocean view, every year at North. Would you go ahead at this time or wait and see what transpires?.
I'm assuming that WKORVN is where you want to go the most, and in that case I probably would. Especially if you are getting a "friend" price. If you are worried about how a joint exchange may turn out and buying of trading, maybe wait.

vacationtime1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x3 (Scottsdale)
I agree with the last post -- if you want to stay at WKORVN every year, the merger will have little or no impact on you. You will own a deeded week in your view category.

Jax44

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the last post -- if you want to stay at WKORVN every year, the merger will have little or no impact on you. You will own a deeded week in your view category.
Yep, we love it there. And the friend price can’t be beat.
Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany, SVV

I did an update in July. Can I do another in November? I bought a cheap getaway week in Orlando for November and am looking for activities.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 5 developer weeks and I'm thinking about buying a couple more aftermarket weeks if I find some good prices. I'd probably buy North at this time, since it is where my wife and I prefer to stay, but OV south is also nice. I love all the Maui properties, though.

I'm at Nanea right now, but I prefer the mandatory North and South properties. This is my first stay at Nanea. It is nice, but I'm a creature of habit and have been going to the other properties since they opened.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Harbour Lake
SVV - Bella
SVV - Key West
I did an update in July. Can I do another in November? I bought a cheap getaway week in Orlando for November and am looking for activities.
Last time we were there, they would allow you to do a tour every 60 days in Orlando.

LanceM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Currently in Orlando at a Sheraton. Owner update first offered to buy equal or better point into Marriott [We have Nanea EOY]. Points were in Vistana points (or equivalent, but there was no exchange rate mentioned other than our Nanea points were worth more in the Marriott System). We turned it down strictly on not wanting to give up our HI deed, so they offered a cheaper package with no trade in. Still turned it down because we only bought in 2019 and we are notinterested in upgrading yet. The last offer was ~$8,000 for 20,000 options to just move our Nanea into the system to access Marriott. Didn't feel like forking over $8k for a new system (20k options), so turned them down again. 60 days was mentioned several times as separation between updates; we already plan on a short stay in December at a different resort where we could take advantage of the "2021 special pricing" before "2022 new regular pricing" if we feel the need; I don't think we will change our minds.
Mostly, I don't think the sales agent presented anything better other than more exchange opportunities. Most of the presentation was on how Marriott want to capture more of the money we spend on vacation. They want more invested in point that can be used to buy not only resorts but airfare, car rentals, and other; including gift cards to buy groceries. Not sure I want to invest more into Marriott on trust that these exchange systems will be beneficial.

47vampire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
No, it is the other way around. Certain levels of 5 Star Elite with Vistana get Platinum Bonvoy status, all other owners get gold (developer or requalified purchases only). Your Bonvoy status gets you nothing in Vistana.
I went to an update last week and they were trying to get you to pay to put everything into points ( I own weeks). No real explaination as to how this conversion would work, what value I would see from doing it. Stupid money , I had to put it into perspective for my husband who thought it was good until I really did the math for him. Overall, they did say that 3-5 star elites would get something "nice" in the transition but still not telling what it is. High pressure to convert, saying deed backs will disappear as October 1, 2021, basically when they plan to annouce whatever they are doing.

47vampire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
The sales Rep clearly said Hilton. I was surprised by that too, but I figured maybe I missed that acquisition by Marriott.
TBH, there was so much being said that didn't sound right, it was getting exhausting.
Hilton /Hyatt were mentioned at my presentation last week. Clearly stated several times that they were not part of what was being offered to Sheraton/Westin/Vistana owners . Sales said it could not be part of combined systems. Also said at one time they thought so but as they worked through it, the answer was no. My cost presentation was about the same as yours. Giving me credit for my $16900 investment but the final cost was coming out at $42,000. I was also offered the package stay good for a year at $1197 for a 5 day in a 2 bedroom ( more than my MF now and fewer days stay) and the price would be good for 1 year on the cost of conversion. Walk away today and it will go up to $.78 on October 1. Still too much uncertainity in the validity of the fact presented. We are older and looking at travel in a different way now. The timeshares we own don't fit our needs and I rent them out every year and mostly use II for getaways.