• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Receiving a free deeded week, need pointers

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
I already own 2 deeded weeks at Sedona Summit both resale. One was through eBay auction. The other through Redweek. Both went through brokers and timeshare transfer companies.

I am in conversation with a deeded owner who wants to gift me deed me her week. Do folks recommend going through a transfer/title company for security and peace of mind? Or, if I get an estoppel to confirm unit details can I conduct the transfer myself? If so, what is the process?

Related question: owner has deposited 2020 usage into The Club. What is the best way to transfer that usage given I am not and don't plan to be in The Club? Have her book a week for me? Can the 2020 usage be recalled from the Club?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I am in conversation with a deeded owner who wants to gift me deed me her week. Do folks recommend going through a transfer/title company for security and peace of mind? Or, if I get an estoppel to confirm unit details can I conduct the transfer myself? If so, what is the process?
I presume the vast majority of tuggers will tell you to use a company. I generally recommend the same, but there may be situations where you can do it. I've purchased 2 timeshares without using a transfer/title company. Both went without a hitch. You can definitely do the transfer yourself. In my case the seller (same seller for both transactions) worked for the resort and had a contact with the county. The seller was willing to use a closing company (at my expense), but somehow I agreed to let the seller handle most of the deal.

If you decide to use a closing company, LT Transfers does a great job at a great price; it's worth it for the peace of mind.

In general, here's what you need to do: Request estoppel (owner); sign a contract, transfer the deed, send the contract and deed to DRI and request transfer. DRI will then respond with a list of additional things they need from you. I'm in the process of closing on Sedona Summit and here's a list of required documents they need:

o Copy of executed Purchase & Sale Agreement between you and the seller of your VOI;

o Copies of a valid and current Driver’s License, Passport, or governmental identification for all parties to the transaction (if natural person);

o Certified Copies of all Articles of Incorporation (or applicable governing documents), Certificates of Good Standing (from State of formation) as well as any and all authorizing resolutions, approvals etc. pertaining to the transaction proposed in the Transfer of Membership (if corporate transferor or transferee);

o Executed Buyer’s Affidavit (if Buyer)

o Executed Transfer Affidavit (if Owner)

o Copies of any agreements with timeshare exit, transfer, resale or related title companies

o Copies of any and documents or agreements evidencing the exchange or payment of any monies with third parties, including any timeshare exit, transfer, or title companies

Good luck!