• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Received a scammer inquiry

Jang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was contacted regarding my timeshare week that I am trying to rent. The potential rentee corresponded with me, said they would like to proceed with the rental, and I sent them my contract. When they filled it out and sent it back, the attachment is asking for my email and password, which I did not enter. When I emailed them back, they said there must be an issue and they will have their secretary send it for them, which of course hasn't happened. I wanted to post their email in case they try this with anyone else. The email is lauknoop@aol.com. Their "name" is Laura Knoop. Has anyone else experienced this?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The email is lauknoop@aol.com. Their "name" is Laura Knoop. Has anyone else experienced this?

Was that here on TUG?

Not them, but there is one on here doing Last Minute Rentals (and nothing else, anywhere on the forum), or wherever they post, that tried to hit me up, suspiciously. I noticed that they stopped posting under one name, and started posting under another, and that they had been reprimanded for advertising.

They hit me up after I posted about RCI EVs and LCs, like that was something I owned and had to offer!!!! That suggested to me that they are hitting up whoever they can to secure weeks to "re-rent" to others.

I could look, but I believe they contacted me with a third name, but the same phone number.

I reported them to the powers-that-be.

Jang

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was here on TUG. I haven't had any issues in the past when trying to rent. I did open the attachment so of course was worried after I figured out what was happening. I ran my malware and it reported back that i was fine. Fingers crossed I am OK since I didn't actually enter a password.

How or what do I need to do to go about reporting them here on TUG?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Reporting . . .you already have by posting. but to report a post, click on the blue report.

I am not a Report Cop, but some things you want to report to everyone and some things you want to report just to the powers-that-be.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The "report" link is for reporting posts in this forum - but there is no post to report. Instead click on CONTACT US in at the very bottom of the page, and send all the details to Admin so they can block the scammer from TUG.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The "report" link is for reporting posts in this forum - but there is no post to report. Instead click on CONTACT US in at the very bottom of the page, and send all the details to Admin so they can block the scammer from TUG.

That is why I said to report a post.

Let me go check on something.

Sent you a PM.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Inquiries in the TUG Marketplace are sent by email - the Marketplace is completely separate from the discussion forums.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
note that anyone can send you a message thru your ad in the marketplace...said email is not from any TUG member.

also clicking on the link to the google doc or similar has a chance of providing your login/password to the scammer, would suggest changing all your passwords immediately.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I guess I said what I said wrong. Or what I said was read wrong.

It was not from an ad anywhere, The Marketplace or elsewhere.

What I got was a notification, from someone who is posting here, flipping stuff they get from TUG on TUG, and doing so under different names, but the same phone number.

I shared the specifics with Denise.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I had that exact thing happen to me 5/25/19 thru TUG
Did not argue price phone he gave me goes straight to voicemail his name was Joe

I would not open the "strange" attachment and I sure won't put my password in anything.

I will forward this info Brian he contacted me 5/25/19 thru Tug2 Gatlinburg Christmas add

Dave

Hello Joe
i can't open that attachment, I'm not comfortable adding my password to any attachment. Picture below is screen shot of all I get when I click on your attachment.
The blue Download file tab spelled wrong. Somethings wrong a PDF file should open up for me without adding my password.

cid:AOLP.4840110

Hi Dave

I wanted to have a hard copy of this agreement, hence my reason for encrypting it securely with your email so you can easily access it within your email when you log in.

Thank You
Joe

On ‎Monday‎, ‎May‎ ‎27‎, ‎2019‎ ‎08‎:‎56‎:‎35‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EDT, Dave

Hi Dave
Thanks for your help,
I have signed the rental agreement and enclosed in the PDF for secure view, you may have to view it online within your receiving email if it fails to show promptly.
Please let me know if everything looks good so I can proceed with the paypal payment.
Sincerely
Joe

I canceled the PayPal invoice
Dave

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
So if anybody can request to rent on the adds on TUG2 that makes TUG2 not as safe as say Redweek and other sights who require providing info with a small fee to correspond weeding out most scammers who do not want you to have info on them.

I was under the impression that they had to join to correspond to adds on TUG2 vs tbbs

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you only have to be a member to post ads. anyone can contact you thru your ad.

one should avoid clicking any random file/pdf/whatever links in emails with strangers....no matter what site you are on.