• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reasons for owning Dogs

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
-Ann Landers

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
-Ben Williams

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves
himself.
-Josh Billings

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
-Andy Rooney

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
-Sigmund Freud

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.
-Rita Rudner

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three
times before lying down.
-Robert Benchley

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.
-Franklin P. Jones

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have
known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.
-James Thurber

If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.
-Unknown

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.
-Joe Weinstein

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
-Anne Tyler

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
-Mark Twain

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your
pocket and then give him only two of them.
-Phil Pastoret

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, my dog was wagging her tail as I read each one of these to her - what do you think that means? ;)

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
"Try to be the person your dog thinks you are"
Unknown

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are great and also true.

This is my personal favorite, also true.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am

LauraS93

Reaction score
I sure hope my son doesn't stumble across this thread. ;) Chances are no, he's only 6. And he wants a dog so badly! I'm just not ready for that kind of committment. That, and we just bought new furniture and carpet.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I never realized how many reasons I had to own a dog until we lost ours in December. She was the light of our lives and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to be on the receiving end of her love.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reasons for not owning a dog

I've already shared the story about the "grand dog" chewing my drapery sheer and destroying the window screen. Today (she's here with DS and DIL for a week), she chewed up the carpet--chewed it right off the tack strip.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rose, that's one reason I didn't think I wanted a dog. I've owned cats all my life until Kelli talked me into a Pug named Monkey. What a joy she is!! If you ever told me I'd love a dog I'd tell you you're crazy but she stole my heart. She sleeps with Kelli but occasionally she sleeps with me, like last night. Kelli calls her traitor dawg when that happens. :) :) shaggy

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I told my son that he cannot leave the dog alone in my house without getting her one of those crates you all mention. She can bark herself hoarse but I can't afford any more home repairs.

Cat

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Rose, that's most likely the answer to your problem. When dogs are left alone, they get bored and that's when they start to look for stuff to chew. We have crated ours since they were brought home. Both of them love their boxes, and they both go in by choice every day. When we get our coats and put on our shoes, our Westie runs into her box and lies down.

People do well to remember that dogs are pack animals that in the wild "den," meaning they live in small, enclosed areas by choice. If you give them their little "den" (or crate) to stay in, they have their own space. If you leave them out, thinking it's kinder not to enclose them, they go nuts at every, little sound. They feel a certain responsibility to protect their environment, and the smaller you make that environment, the less stress on them.

It just makes good sense to crate when you can't be there.

swwoods

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a crazy dog! The only dog I have ever owned that did not really like to be petted. I think he may have been abused as a puppy. He gets so excited when you pet him, he runs around in circles and goes crazy. If he is laying on the floor asleep and you walk up to pet him, he just starts shaking and then gets up and goes to the door to go outside. Well, we went to see Eight Below this weekend and DS now 6 wants Jake to be more apart of the family. I had been letting Jake in the house a little more often to give our cat a break. DS carries the cat all around the house. Although the cat is a real trooper, I have noticed that she hides a lot now. Can't imagine why? I have always had dogs in my life and they were all great until we got Jake. He is a great watch dog, and he watches the kids like a hawk, but we just can't get close to him like you normally do with a dog. How do you go about picking a good dog? I have been toying with getting the kids another pet and can't decide Dog or Cat. I am a cat person and think they are much easier pets, but I do miss the companionship of a good ole dog!

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
swwoods said:
............ How do you go about picking a good dog? I have been toying with getting the kids another pet and can't decide Dog or Cat. I am a cat person and think they are much easier pets, but I do miss the companionship of a good ole dog!

Have you seen this thread? There might be some answers for you there.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great quotes, Ouaifer! Dogs are great animals. I don't have a pet dog currently, but it's very tempting to get one.